A Legitimate Question
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    May I ask something?

Why is it that the Church leaders in America are not paying more attention to the CMAA?

I notice that there has been a huge movement over the last 30 years to bend over backwards not to "marginalize" people or make them feel left out of the Church.

Well...what about us? Don't we count?
  • kevinfkevinf
    Think about how much money has passed over the hands of GIA,OCP and WLP from NPM participants.

Therein lies the answer.

Truthfully, I am not worried. CMAA is making little but important inroads in my neck of the woods. Next month, when I meet with parish musicians from the southside of Atlanta, I will be sharing the fruits of this place with them. I also have hooked up three directors of Catholic school music programs to Musicsacra.

Work in your vineyard, however small or large it might be. Be patient and wear a smile and show your passion for this work in a joyful way.

Kevin
  • The very fact of CMAA's survival and the recent renewed growth show that throwing money at something isn't enough in the long run. It is in God's hands... and I think (hope) He wants chant in the liturgies again :) We have to step out in faith and let ourselves be instruments of His will...

I was reading through the Thomas Day book again... Why Catholics Can't Sing... reading about the American church's musical history and the dead-silent Mass that was most common prior to Vatican II (from his description... not based on any of my personal experiences), I have to wonder if this was the crooked path we had to take to make true liturgical renewal in terms of Sacred Music. Maybe the horrible folk music stage had to be gone through in order for us to get to the ultimate goal.

I don't know... it's beyond my power to comprehend... I'm just glad to have discovered it and to be on the way here where I am!
  • GavinGavin
    "Maybe the horrible folk music stage had to be gone through in order for us to get to the ultimate goal."

I agree COMPLETELY. That was the final post when I had my old blog. Thanks to the folk music, we are now in a church where, in opposition to the pre-Vatican 2 scenario: Laity are expected to vocally participate in the Mass (which also leads to our ability to catechize on internal participation!); vernacular music is accepted, allowing us to use everything from quality English hymnody to JS Bach's choral music; the "left-foot Lucy" organists are not tolerated. And let's not forget the CONTRAST we present. Pre-Vatican 2, we'd be fighting St. Gregory Hymnal and Rossini Propers with chant and polyphony - who'd care? Now we're fighting trashy folk music badly performed with chant and polyphony - the choice is clear to any rational person!

I don't think the CMAA is being ignored. The cards are in our favor. The NPM Haugen-Haas monopoly is getting nowhere. There's really only two possibilities for growth in the future: the Praise & Worship model, well meaning though the proponents may be, no one takes them that seriously; and the chant crowd. More and more people are seeing us as the future. How many headlines do you see, "LOCAL CHURCH INTRODUCES NEW HAUGEN PSALM REFRAIN"? Again, consider what we have in common with the P&W crowd: going somewhere. The people endorsing stagnation (NPM) are furious that we're getting press, because they're becoming more and more irrelevant. Between stagnation and progress, progress always wins.
  • Jeffrey,
    Please don't regard this as patronizing: wait for it, wait for it.
    We are an ironic race. We build the Kingdom here and now, yet we can be so eschatological-"When is the fulfillment? What haven't we done, what have we yet to do? Perfection is so close our five senses are engaged, but why are we the cognisceti that get it? What's wrong with everybody else?"
    My Lord, step back from it all for a minute, look at what YOU have done in the last two years or so. You have helped re-engage the Body of Christ in beauty and humility.
    I "googled" you today. You're like, what, 22? (I'm yanking your chain.)
    If this plays out like I think it will, and certainly how the Holy Father envisions it, there will be a renaissance.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    God bless you, Charles. By the way, I just turned 27 --- feelin' fairly old at the moment, but blessed.
  • Really, I thought you were 18!

Just kidding. Keep up the good work, Jeff. The masses (pun intended) depend on the few who are willing to DO something.
  • My favorite 20th-century architect, Antoni Gaudi, when asked about a completion date for the Sagrada Familia, answered, "My client is not in a hurry."

In the same manner, I don't expect to see significant change by 2048; of course, I am open to being pleasantly surprised.

(On the other hand, I earnestly hope that the Sagrada Familia is complete by 2026, even with all of the upcoming economic turmoil, and that CMAA can fill that expansive choir loft. Colloquium 2030 Barcelona, anyone?)
  • GavinGavin
    "I don't expect to see significant change by 2048"

Why not? We saw such change in the past year. What can be accomplished in the next is mind-boggling!
  • I know, Gavin; I am pleasantly surprised, and I share your sentiment.

But not expecting it is the stance that I have to take, lest I become too impatient; I suppose it's my own flavor of detachment, strange as it may be. I've never been a patient person, and if I reflect otherwise, it's only because of the grace of God.

So with that said, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised in 2009 and thereafter, but I won't be disappointed if I'm not. On the contrary, I'll continue to do what I've been doing to work towards "Change 2048." The best thing in my case would to continue to work, not worrying about the outcome, and then have someone point out to me how much things indeed have changed for the better.

Would it be wonderful if attendance at Colloquium 2009 doubled from last year? Certainly! But would it still be wonderful if attendance were halved? Absolutely! Why? Because, getting back to JMO's original entry, we are doing our small part as cooperatores veritatis, whether or not we receive official recognition or appreciation from the powers that be. If and when official recognition comes, it will be when God says all parties are ready. I'm sure that will come with its own problems should it come to pass!
  • I'm with the others who are surprised by the growth in just the last few years. It has been amazing. We have to remember what a massive job that we have all undertaken, and just how much rebuilding has to be done. And yet we are blessed to live in the midst of progress. I mean, just the other day the Holy See issued a letter of congratulations to the CMAA. That is just incredible to me. The PBC is being used in the North American College in Rome. Actually, most remarkably of all, the PBC exists !

In the next few days, we are going to enter into a new era, with a development of astounding proportions (in my own view). Wait for it!
  • miacoyne
    The children sang chants yesterday, and the adult schola sang chants today. Until last year we didn't hear them in our parish. They sang beautifully. Their faces were glowing with joy. They didn't really need me (director), because they were praying together. I know we touched people's hearts with the most powerful and beautiful music we have. I'm very grateful.

Thanks, CMAA
  • G
    Aristotle, LOOOOVE the Gaudi quote.
    A tiny ray of sunshine in my neck of the woods.
    We sing what is, in effect, a concert before Midnight Mass, all the beloved stuff, good and crap, that won't fit into a liturgy, or not all at once, anyway.
    And even in that hour we don't sing everything everyone in choir wants, (some for time, and some because I wouldn't sully my fingers, vocal cords or eardrums with it.)
    This year the ratio of fine to mediocre was pretty good, (I'm talking about the music itself, with my playing, all the performances are mediocre.)

Anyway, when it's all over, our newest choir member, all of 14 years old, and she's already more valuable than some of the other (diva) sopranos, tells me that she loved midnight mass, (her first time,) and you know what here favorite music was?
    Not the cute ethnic carols, or the sweet lullabies, or the soaring anthems, or the big war horses --

the communion, In Splendoribus.

That's the future, mates....

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • If we can popularize a better liturgical THEOLOGY, changes in practice will come about as quickly as they did between 1965 and 1975.

Underlying mistakes in the implementation of liturgical reform and the introduction of unsuitable music was an ideology--"Secularization theology."
    It's principal tenets, as popularly understood, were (1) That because of growth in scientific knowledge, "man" had "come of age" and no longer related to God as a helpless child; (2) That God recognized that excessive intimacy with "man come of age" would be stultifying, just as excessive intimacy between parents and grown children is; (3) That God relates to "man come of age" as a fellow worker in the world, with a degree of intimacy comparable to that between business associates. This theology was, of course, incompatible with liturgy of any sort. Nevertheless, people were not ready to give it up; so they sought to secularize it. The slogan of the late 1960s was that if cult were divorced from "the secular experience," men [sic] would "compartmentalize" Christianity, not relating it to their daily affairs. Therefore the language, music, and deportment used in liturgical celebrations, as far as possible, had to be made similar to the language, music, and deportment that people encountered elsewhere.

Secularization theology is virtually dead. No one talks about it any more. Its liturgical legacy survives, however, partly because some who fancy themselves progressive believe that secularized liturgy is "on the cutting edge" but more because, as an Orthodox friend of mine observed, "local churches are paradogenic." The speed with which innovations become hallowed tradition is amazing. And once a tradition has been established, people become very upset when it is changed. (A young man in our parish who was baptized at last year's Easter Vigil recently complained about a very minor adjustment.)

Back in the 1960s the theology of the liturgical movement (justifiably, in my view) and secularization theology (unjustifiably, in my view) captivated the parish clergy (or those whom they chose as leaders/role models). They were convinced that the need for innovation was URGENT, and that allowing fear of upsetting the people to stop them would be irresponsible.

If we can find a way to captivate today's leaders with a better liturgical theology, so that they become sufficiently committed to it to take risks, improvements in practice will follow very quickly.
  • It is angering in how unjust it is, I suppose.

But we can all think of favorite saints who were not recognized in their time, and many who were suppressed by the majority of the day.

The point is not that we are automatically saints for being dismissed (though of course we should try to be saints) but that we can only push ahead and be faithful to the call of Christ and His Church. The reward is glimpsed- and beautifully in the music we sing, but it is never fully grasped in this life. At least that's how it seems to me.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I get angry that despite how hard I work, I still only seem to loose about 1 or 2 pounds a week. The reality is I didn't get fat in a few weeks, I'm not going to loose the weight in a few weeks.

Similarly, the dismal liturgical/musical culture many of us deal with on a daily/weekly/yearly basis didn't develop over night . . . it took nearly 40 years (or 50 depending on who you read) for the liturgical-industrial complex to hollow out the center of the culture. It is the height of arrogance (imho) to believe that we're going to turn the Barque of Peter around in a few short years, or expect the Successor of Peter to do it.

Just as loosing weight quickly is unhealthy and generally unsuccessful, to rush the changes we're trying to make (brick by brick, as Fr. Z says) would be equally unhealthy and prone to failure.
  • Pes
    Nevertheless, we do have better technology (computers, internet) on our side. They have already had multiplying effects.
  • priorstf
    Don't count on that always being a positive thing, Pes. As the sign said on the computer center back in my university days:

"We love our computers. They let us screw things up in seconds that used to take weeks!"
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    David, if I weren't so angry about certain things, I might be able to lose more weight!

;-)
  • mjballoumjballou
    Will my computer help me lose weight? I don't want to diet, but I do spend a lot of time on this forum :)
  • GavinGavin
    I don't agree, David. I see "brick by brick" as an excuse. I have nightmares from a former job, which was in all respects very good, so it's just a result of anxiety about church music in general. One nightmare involved me going to Mass while the pastor had the folk group playing banjo music while he ran around throwing pies at people and spraying them with seltzer water. I was visibly disturbed and started quoting legislation at him, and he said "well, you have to cave in a bit to make progress!" Then I awoke in a cold sweat. Anyway, for most churches that would be an improvement. Fr. Z would probably merely say "well they have a chant director there, brick by brick!" No, when you put bricks on a pile of rubble, it's still a pile of rubble.

That said, things are happening quickly. REAL progress. I've seen it, I've been a part of it. The parish which prompted my dream is one where the pastor, not even a year ago, promised parishioners that he would never celebrate the EF Mass. This year, one of the Christmas Masses was an EF Mass, and he has low Mass twice a month. It isn't something where one sits back and watches the Magic Pope-Power work its thing; it's hard, painful work, and I have the neuroses to prove it. But things are happening. The liturgy is being rebuilt. Taking a defeatist attitude will do nothing; this is an unparalleled moment in ecclesial history. Progress is being made by leaps and bounds, etc. etc.
  • Our biggest block is how much pressure the Pastor can take without bending from parishioners who want things their way rather than the church's way.

And that's his job, as assigned by Him!
  • Pes
    when you put bricks on a pile of rubble, it's still a pile of rubble.
    it's hard, painful work, and I have the neuroses to prove it

Gavin, start writing for publication.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Gavin,

I wish I shared your optimism. I have no doubt that in many ways there are a significant number of folk who are experiencing great things happening, and happening quickly.

However, I tried to move things quickly in my 3,500+ family suburban parish, and nearly lost my job, not to mention my health.

We all must work under the circumstances we're given, and sometimes the work of clearing away the rubble is harder than laying the new bricks. One must be cautious to clear the rubble first before laying the bricks. It seems to me that you've not experienced the truly back-breaking labor of clearing the rubble.

If the Church were to demand the rubble be cleared immediately and make the kinds of changes in the direction we want, just as they did in the '60's when folk went to Mass celebrated in Latin according to the MR1962 one day and then quite literally the next day went to Mass celebrated in English with the priest facing them, praying from the MR1970, we would be committing the same sin and be guilty of the same lack of care and propriety that those who robbed the Church of her culture were back then.

This is why I say these things must not be done overnight, they cannot be done overnight, and to do so would be foolhardy.

The three little pigs built their houses quickly, first of straw, then of wood, and finally of brick. The brick one withstood the wind of the wolf. Let's not in our haste build houses of straw or wood that can be easily blown down by our own version of the wolf.
  • GavinGavin
    David, I understand your point of view. I went back to my home parish, where my mom was playing handbells for a concert, during which a commentator asked us to "be silent for a minute to confess your sins to Christ and ask him into your hearts as your personal Lord and Savior." At a Catholic church, with a concert of 3 church choirs. Three priests in attendance. And although liturgical things are great in my city, you know how dismal they are in the suburbs surrounding my city. But still, the "big picture" has improved significantly. The historic churches and cathedrals are getting EF Masses left and right, the CMAA is training hundreds, independent scholas are getting more and more use, etc. Even at one of the churches from that concert, the priest restructured the "worship space" at a parish much like yours, including ripping up some carpet to expose marble, and putting a tabernacle in front. And yet this same church has a priest who demands the congregation yell "amen" during the homily, uses lots of glass chalices, wants guitars (although the pastor won't budge on it), and makes up the words of the Mass as he goes.

There has to be a cultural change, David. People have to see the liturgy as something handed down, not something they manufacture. You can't force that; you can't simulate the externals and expect people to adopt the viewpoint. It just has to happen, but that's what we're seeing. It hasn't spread to your area, but in other places it has. And it may well begin when someone comes up to you and says "I was in Michigan at a church and saw them use some nice Latin songs... why can't we do that sometime?" The only way the progressivists will last another 15 years is by putting their fingers in their ears and closing their eyes. And that seems to be what they're doing. It just makes them more and more irrelevant to the rest of the church.
  • JamJam
    Gavin! I've had nightmares about liturgy, too.

I had one nightmare that I went to the church here in my hometown and the priest was using English muffins and grape kool-aid for communion. I remember getting up during the dream Mass and being like, you can't do that, you can't do that!! When I went to the parish in real life, I got a nice little instrument-accompanied concert from the priest for the Eucharistic Prayer, but he used licit matter for communion at least.

I don't know what I think about this whole brick-by-brick approach either. It's such a difference to go from a church full of djembe and a giant choir in the sanctuary almost sitting behind the altar rocking out in their concert masses to another church merely an hour away celebrating an EF mass with no instruments for Advent and beautiful motets/chants performed by a small choir to a reverent congregation. It really is the culture of the place. I just don't know what comes first, the culture from some reverent music or the sacred music from a reverent culture.

When a priest came in after the EF Mass during Advent to rearrange the sanctuary for an OF Mass that was coming next, taking candles away, taking everything away, I almost cried. It was hard to watch. Even in the same parish there can be two entirely different cultures vying for control. I guess we just all have to do the best we can where we're at.
  • miacoyne
    Take candles away? why they do that? Do they use stage spot light and smoke coming up from the stage, instead of incense? Maybe it's time for the priest wear something different, it's too old fashioned, people don't feel connected when they wear such an old fashioned outfit. How about a superhero outfit, that will attract more people to church.
    I try not to be angry in this thread 'Anger,' but I'm not being good. Or is this a justified anger? I need to talk to my priest about this.
  • JamJam
    They took most of what was on the high altar off, and took the candles off that altar. But they did bring in some candles for the other altar. I know the music director there, and while I never went to an OF Mass there I bet it's pretty good. He cares about what the church teaches and does his best.
  • miacoyne
    That's good to know. If the church 'bothers' to do EF, it couldn't be too bad, I guess.
  • chonakchonak
    It sounds as if you assume that the parish celebrates the EF grudgingly. ("If the church 'bothers' to do EF...")

There really isn't any basis for such a suspicion, as far as I can tell. It may be a fine parish led by an excellent pastor whom you'd like quite well.
  • JamJam
    Judging from the priest's first homily, he really likes the EF and wants to do it. He did go through all the trouble of learning how, and training ministers to aid him. I don't think he's the pastor, but I don't know. He doesn't speak English that well, and I never got to talk to him anyway. :/

I never got to see an OF Mass there... just walked in on one in Spanish once to pass through the church for some reason. I don't remember what part of the Mass it was but it was a part without any music. The priest was celebrating versus populum though, and the more I see that, the more it bothers me. I think it's because it seems to symbolically take the emphasis off of God in the sacrament, on the altar, and on to the people sitting in the congregation. Even if that was not the explicit intent of the switch, it is the implicit result. Also, all the OF rubrics assume ad orientem, so the fact that versus populum is nearly universal now is very troubling.

Anyway, what almost made me cry was the fact that the sanctuary had to be rearranged. There were some things on the high altar--a picture of something, some stands, chalice veils, etc.--that I didn't always know what they were for, but I'm sure they were packed with meaning, and if I learned about them, I would be fascinated. That's the reason we used to fill our churches with beauty--think baroque cathedrals! You couldn't possibly know what everything was, who all the saints were above the doors, or what was going on in every fresco, but it was for learning, and no matter where you looked, you saw something sacred and meaningful. Now, we've got blank walls, we've got carpets, we've got two candles around a bare altar and gospel books covered in weird cloth things instead of gold. Fortunately, in this parish that offered the beautiful EF Mass, it was also a beautiful church: the high altar decorated with a scene of the ascension, a nice crucifix to one side, tons of stained-glass windows with icons, a communion rail! With a gate that was closed during the EF Mass!! If you looked around once, you'd find meaning; if you looked around twice, you'd find even more... But the OF just calls for a lot less in the sanctuary (chalice veils are a good example) and uses an entirely different altar from the EF. The disconnect was sad. I dunno. That's just what I was thinking at the time.
  • miacoyne
    Chonak, I was kidding, that's why I put this' '. I was saying that they are willing to do that not many parishes want to do. I started to feel that it is very hard to communicate in the computer. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • JamJam
    I understood what you were trying to say, miacoyne. ^_^ That does seem to be the attitude of a lot of parishes--that the EF is too much "bother." I just wanted to be a little more specific in what I was saying about it.

While I'm at it, I want to give kudos to the parish here in Anchorage that celebrates the Dominican Rite EF Mass once a month. It seems as though there is enough interest and attendance for once a month, but not enough support for more often, and I'm glad that they decided to go through the "bother" of putting this one on, too. I'm hoping that attendance and interest will slowly grow and we'll get more of them in the coming months. Next time I'm going to personally thank the priest for putting it on and tell him how much it means to me. I hope he gets a lot of that.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks, Jam for understanding. One thing I don't want to do is being disrespectful to priests no matter what. They really work hard and the parish priests are under lot of pressure. I sometimes complaint and try not to. Instead I try to talk to my priests politely. Also, I pray for my boys' vocation and I want them to be respected if they ever become one. I'm sure they'll make mistakes.

Our shcola is hoping we will have EF mass here. We are planning to help one of the priest go to a workshop for that. We didn't ask him yet. Please pray that this will happen in our parish. I love EF Mass, because it really helps to experience the heavely Eucharist. And I want to have it in our parish for my friends here.