Stressful? What?
  • Kathy
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • Median pay --- arrived at how? Sounds like an average of volunteer (i.e., unpaid) positions and those of you who work in Episcopal Cathedrals.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    A couple of years ago I got a request to play the Beer Barrel Polka at a a funeral. You have to ask yourself, is this appropriate for a worship service?

Actually, first I have to ask is did you honor the request? Inappropriate is as inappropriate does.

• Dan Fenn isn't exactly singing his job's praises.

Better hope the boss doesn't see that.
  • Kathy
    My thinking in posting this is that it might be useful to have a news source (even CNN) recognizing the challenges of the job.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My thinking in posting this is that it might be useful to have a news source (even CNN) recognizing the challenges of the job.

I really thought you just posted it because it was amusing.

What bothers me about this is the notion that the stress of the job comes from picking out music for weddings and funerals, and not from insane priests, ridiculous parishioners, organ ciphers, sopranos, copyright law, school principals, Jesuits, and parents of choristers.
  • Kathy
    Also, sopranos.
  • Well, the issue with a position like St. John's in Northfield is that it is just down the Hill from St. Olaf College (my alma mater), so there is a lot of pressure to be incredible, all the time. I don't know how many Ole's he gets, since they're probably singing at St. Olaf. Maybe he gets local alums, most of whom, no matter their major, can sing.

I feel like the brief article might have pulled the bizarre quote out of a longer interview that actually illustrated the real stresses of the job.
  • Kathy
    I feel like the brief article might have pulled the bizarre quote out of a longer interview that actually illustrated the real stresses of the job.

I agree. Journalists sometimes have to take the "catchiest" expression in something they consider really weird, like Church music.
  • A 40K salary would change my life, what exactly is CNN complaining about? Oh I forgot only jobs that pay 100K or more are worth doing...ugh not in the mood today.
  • CharlesW
    What bothers me about this is the notion that the stress of the job comes from picking out music for weddings and funerals, and not from insane priests, ridiculous parishioners, organ ciphers, sopranos, copyright law, school principals, Jesuits, and parents of choristers.

And elderly singers who only think they can sing.

Also, sopranos.

With horned helmets. The worst!

• SalieriSalieri
    With horned helmets

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Beware of Sopranshees and Heldenbaritones?
    Thanked by 2CharlesW tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    From ghoulies and ghosties. And long-leggedy beasties. And things that go bump in the night, Good Lord, deliver us!
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • stulte
    This is from 2009.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CharlesW
    This is from 2009.

What, the FFJ? You think this is any better? LOL. These toxic notes are hanging out in the edge of space and will never die out. Every choir I have been in or directed has had its own version of FFJ. She lives!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4f77T-LoM
  • CharlesW
    Sorry bonniebede. It says "This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." Can't view it. It's that blasted copyright again.
  • eft94530eft94530
    I know this is October,
    but am I in the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Grand Ballroom
    or am I in the Carnegie Hall ?