Job hunting while you still have a job: help/advice
  • So a director position is open in my area, literally five minutes away from my house. Service time conflicts with current job so I would have to decide...not easy because I don't want to leave, either. But life demands that I make more money to support my family, so I always keep my eyes open to what's out there. The listing said send resume or call, so I called to see what was up. I wouldn't be playing, just directing choir (bummer). I said I would consider leaving if the pay was better, so I was strongly encouraged to apply and go for an interview.

As much as I enjoy playing, I am really tired of always being under someone else-at least in terms of music, and it would be nice to have a more "authoritative" if that's the right word, position at this stage of my life. On the other side of this, the music community is small here and word travels quickly. And it would be really crappy to leave right before Advent. And I hate making people mad. But they aren't that nice to me anyway so...Should I take this interview or not? I feel I at least have a right to know what my options are, even if seeking them out makes waves...
  • stulte
    Go for it. I know it's tough to leave, but your first duty is towards your family.
    Thanked by 3canadash CharlesW Ben
  • francis
    ALWAYS investigate all options. You can ALWAYS walk away, but if you don't turn the rock over, you will never know what was under it in the first place. Ignorance is not bliss... it will drive you stark raving MAD!
  • I just don't want my current employer to find out right now. I just want to know what these people pay. People can't keep their traps shut around here and everyone knows someone who knows someone who will say "Oh hey I heard your accompanist interviewed for the job at blah blah church!" I just want to avoid that.
  • I hope you interview . If you end up having to discuss it with your current employer you can always talk about the importance of finding out where you are most needed. You don't have to mention most appreciated or best paid.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Yes, I understand that scenario. Godspeed. Will say a prayer for you. St Cecilia help this your servant and the whole lot of us All. Amen.
  • It sounds like this new job would clearly be a move up for you, both personally and professionally. All things being equal, anybody (including a current employer, boss, etc.) who would begrudge you that opportunity is in the wrong.
  • canadashcanadash
    Ask a friend to ask about the details for you.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • @Michael: I know they wouldn't begrudge the opportunity to me, it's just terrible timing for this to come up, really. Ugh I don't know what to do :(
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Worry about yourself. Based on what I remember from your postings, it sounds like you're not very well-paid, and your family could truly use the money.
  • You are very right about that, Irishtenor.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    As much as I enjoy playing, I am really tired of always being under someone else-at least in terms of music, and it would be nice to have a more "authoritative" if that's the right word, position at this stage of my life.

I wouldn't bet on this being much better at the new digs. Someone above you is always in charge of the music in the way someone is always in charge of the office thermostat and woe to him with the audacity to try to nudge it one degree up or down. Sometimes you get lucky and get someone willing to turn over control, but don't expect that.

People can't keep their traps shut around here and everyone knows someone who knows someone who will say "Oh hey I heard your accompanist interviewed for the job at blah blah church!" I just want to avoid that.

Largely unavoidable. You simply have to man up if confronted and blunty say you are looking for more lettuce without apology or blushing.

Now if I'm the new potential employer, one of my first questions is why do you want to leave a steady (if light) paying job, and more importantly, why should I trust that you won't just skedaddle off to another job when things get tough? Beware bone-in-mouth syndrome.

God bless.

• Where can you do the most for the music of the Church? Money is important too, but I wouldn't compromise that mission for more money.It's worth finding out about, and I don't see a plenitude of real Catholic musicians in your area.
  • @Scott: the director I currently work under doesn't have formal music training and barely reads music. Meanwhile I have two music degrees and lifelong training, most of my suggestions go ignored or brushed off or diminished. And she treats me like a child sometimes. It gets old. Really old. Especially when the pay is so low. I let the pay issue slide because I needed to start somewhere and get experience. This is the first church gig I've ever held, never planned on staying forever. I'll try to "man up" as best I can, I am only a pathetic woman after all... ;-)

@Jeffrey: I work at a Presbyterian church. If there's a shortage of Catholic musicians here there's an even greater shortage of positions for them to work in their own church. The position I might but likely won't apply for is also in a Protestant church.

• CharlesW
    The situation working under a director with no training is not one I could tolerate.Take the money, if you need it, and be happy. If anyone suggests you are taking the Protestant devil's money, tell them you can do a much better job of spending it than he can.
  • What I struggle with the most is being told by the director that she needed my help and wanted me to help her learn more, but as Maury said we determined THAT was a lie...Or she's too proud and her ego is too big to allow it. I even allowed her to dictate how my music binder is organized (Not sure why she cared since she wasn't the one using it, but I took HER suggestion because I thought that was the NICE thing to do...) I don't hate her, but she's very tough to handle sometimes, and I've stayed silent and patient and thankful for this opportunity and all of the many positives of the situation. And then I can barely afford things sometimes and then I get proud and egotistical and think "hey I didn't go through college just for this! I need more!" And there is much truth to that, my family does struggle a lot. She's just not, how to say it, she's not a very sensitive person and often says things in ways that throw people off. Some folks do that, aren't even aware of what they're doing. Maybe a meeting with the pastor is in order first, or her since I've never ever once let on how I feel about the situation (other than griping about the pay, which she was sympathetic to)...
  • CharlesW
    It sounds like a snake pit you need to get out of. This person is unlikely to change so I don't see it getting any better.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    the director I currently work under doesn't have formal music training and barely reads music.

ahh...the plot thickens.

Maybe a meeting with the pastor is in order first, or her since I've never ever once let on how I feel about the situation (other than griping about the pay, which she was sympathetic to)...

Perhaps an airing of grievances would help, but it would still mean taking marching orders from someone with little training. If this were "I have a PhD and she only has a Master's!", I'd say suck it up, but when it's someone with musical training compared to "look at all the little black dots!", fuggedaboutit.