An Evening with the HYMNAL 1982
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Last night I had the opportunity to spend a wonderful evening at a "hymn sing" at St. Margaret's Convent (Episcopalian Sisters of St. Margaret) in Duxbury, Massachusetts. The event was moderated by Rev. Carl Daw, former Executive Director of the Hymn Society of America and currently an adjunct professor of hymnology at Boston University's School of Theology. The hymn sing utlized THE HYMNAL 1982 of which Dr. Daw was a major contributor. After Dr. Daw introducted the initial hymn, the audience had an opportunity to suggest hymns for consideration. In each case, Dr. Daw gave the historical background of the hymn (composer, author, and other relevant information) and then the audience sang the selected hymn; one of the sisters provided the excellent organ accompaniments. The focus of the evening was hymns related to faith and trust; a parallel event is planned for April 1, 2016, which will be devoted to hymns of hope. It was an uplifting event and a great chance to learn much about these hymns from historical, musical, and spiritual perspectives. Two widely used hymns from Catholic publications, "Faith of Our Fathers" and "Be Thou My Vision," were included in last night's selections. Plan to attend on April 1, 2016, if you are in the area.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Sorry, I already have tickets for an April 1 performance of Relâche.
  • chonakchonak
    The announcement of this week's event (and the next one) is on-line at:
    http://societyofstmargaret.org/hymn-sing-october-23rd-with-the-rev-carl-p-daw-jr/

(Note: they would like an RSVP from people planning to attend.)