Playing the organ is such an important thing.
  • Directors of Music who also play the organ at Mass have a lower firing rate that Directors of Music that do not.

Firing a D/M is seen by some as getting rid of a paper-shuffling coordinator of cantors and picked of hymns that anybody could do.

Replacing a D/M Organist is taken more seriously. Who's going to play this weekend? A missing D/M creates no waves, but walking into Mass and finding people trying to sing without the organ is a case for lunchtime discourse and Monday Morning calls to the rectory.
  • Most organists are also learning how to act as DoM or conductor if necessary.

The simple fact that is if you have to play organ and direct at the same time, it can be a cause for divided attention and a lower quality of music produced.

Most people (even pastors) don't realise just how much work there is in co-ordinating music and planning liturgies. It isn't just a simple case of pick any four hymns for a weekend!

I pick and practice my hymns at least 4 weeks in advance, and try to rehearse the singers as necessary for this. Not to mention, that many parishes no longer use hymnals, so I have to type up the powerpoint slideshows which project hymn words, responses, etc for the parish.

A few months ago I stopped putting the bible references up for each week. Now it simply says "First Reading" "Second Reading" and "Gospel Reading" saves a heck of a lot of work each week!
  • Our DoM is also our organist. She does a pretty amazing job of conducting while playing, (when we aren't singing a capella). Of course, a lot of what she is able to accomplish is due to excellent preparation of the choir prior to mass.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    We don't an organist at our parish. We do have pianists that accompany singers, but we don't have a regular organist. BTW, our DL&M that recently retired was there almost 20 years. The DL&M that she replaced resigned after being elected County Judge, and is now the head of a religious order. Seems a pretty stable job to me.
  • It begins with Conrad Pauman, the Buxheimer orgelbuch, the Mulliner Book, and such; Cavazzoni, Cabezon et al.; then to Titelouze, de Grigny et al.; Scheidt, Buxtuehude, Bach et al.; then to anthems of Howells, Vaughan Williams, Ireland et al.; and scintillating hymnody plus mass settings by such as Willan et al.; then Messiaen, Langlais, et al.; Anglican chant et al.; and so on and on and on. Noel is quite right: playing the organ is important. But, more than that, it is a priceless honour to be in the company of such liturgical music luminaries as these and to bring their music to life in the worship of our wonderful God. The organ, as most here likely know, had a checkered history in the ancient world and was even disallowed in the early Church because of its pagan associations. But, redeemed and evolved in later centuries, it became the instrument more than any other (except the human voice) which belongs in the House of God. It is God's instrument. Though one would never know it by what happened after VII, it remains the only instrument mentioned in the council's documents. Yes, an organist who isn't in awe of the august historic role he or she is filling is no organist at all.

(Like chant introits and such, there are iconic selections from the repertory which mark the times and seasons of the liturgical year. A congregation, for example that doesn't sort of expect to hear 'Wachet auf' or 'Nun komm' on Advent Sunday, & cet., is a musically impoverished one whose sacred music illiteracy is regretful, unfortunate.)
  • Yes.
  • ryandryand
    If Chonak were to make a spinoff thread from MJO's last paragraph, I would be so happy

Meaning: I'd love to see a list of such pieces, MJO, if you care to elaborate. I know very little of what you'd consider standard organ repertoire, and really want to do something about that.
    Thanked by 1MichaelDickson
  • ghmus7
    I figured out yesterday that i play or conduct an average of 50 or so hymns and musical pieces every week.I rarely have time to practice any of this. We have two or sometimes three or liturgies every day. Music is seven days a week. I am off on friday and saturday but have to plan and prepare all the music for those days as well. Im beginning to understand why i'm so tired. However i do get to play the organ every day, and i don't ever seem to get tired of it. I strive to pass away at the post like Vierne - at 90 prishioners heard him improvising a sortie and all of a sudden all they heard a low c note going on like a cipher. He had died with his foot on the low c. Don't know if this is true but i like it! There is something divine about the Instrument that is a mystery. God be praised.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn