Study Edition of the Roman Missal
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I have a 'chapel' edition of the Roman Missal. How is the Study Edition different? Would it be worth buying?
  • BenBen
    It's my understanding the study editions are meant for desk use. Often much smaller, with a cheaper binding. Not as nice, and not ideal for liturgical use, but great for the shelf to grab when you need a reference at your desk, or perhaps in the loft to follow along.
  • chonakchonak
    I just got one of these from Liturgical Press. Pages are about 6" x 9"; the book is a fat softcover (1514 p.) Rubrics are in grey instead of red.
  • awilliamsawilliams
    I like the Lit Press paperback because I don't feel bad marking it up in pen.
  • I've got Chonak's version. Not the best artwork, but I didn't get it for that, but to throw at my choir members (once I build up my arm strength; and yes, I mean that figuratively ;)
  • CGM
    I have a PDF of the Annotated White Book, which was the 2009 version of the translation-in-progress. It doesn't match the text as given in the final 2011 version, but it does have sixty-nine footnotes, almost all of which cite particular scriptural passages as the source for various texts within the Mass. That is what I'd call a study version...

Anyone interested PM me with your email address, and I'll send it your way.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I just got one of these from Liturgical Press. Pages are about 6" x 9"; the book is a fat softcover (1514 p.) Rubrics are in grey instead of red.

So, similar in size to my 'chapel' edition, but with a softcover and the rubrics in gray. I would have hoped for some footnotes or chapter notes, or something to differentiate it other than just a cheaper method of production. Guess I'll save my money.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I've got Chonak's version. Not the best artwork, but I didn't get it for that, but to throw at my choir members (once I build up my arm strength; and yes, I mean that figuratively ;)

I'm glad you said that you meant it figuratively. When I was in 8th grade band, the tubas were being especially unruly. The band director exploded! He threw is baton into the flute section, plowed though the clarinets and trumpets, reached down, grabbed each tuba player and pulled them out of their sousaphones by their shirt collars, practically picked them up, shook them, and then walked back up to the podium (picking up his baton on the way), stepped up to the podium, rapped on it for attention (as if all eyes weren't on him!) and started directing as if nothing had happened!