Proclamation of the Date of Easter on Epiphany
  • I am trying to sell my pastor on the idea of doing this. Does anyone have the sheet music for this proclamation? We used to do it at my old parish in Austin.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    b-gal, what was your old parish in Austin? I attended St. Austin's when I was in school there at UT. A wonderful music program there at the time, and maybe an even better one now, from the looks of their website.
  • Yeppers. It was St. Austin's. Bill Davis was the music director and Barbara Budde was the liturgy director. Now, Dr. John Hoffman, a very good and talented organist, is doing both.

I was there from 1988 to 1998, having stayed in Austin after my graduation to work in the Texas House. I learned a lot about sacred music from Bill and Barbara. In fact, Bill wrote some beautiful compositions for the responsorial psalm, the Gloria and the Agnus Dei. They were high-church sounding, not bad for a Lutheran. In fact, Bill gave me some of his pieces which we have used at the Cathedral. One of his psalms is kind of a staple at the Cathedral for weddings.

Incidentally, thanks to phattmatt for the link. I sent it to my pastor. Do any of you know where I can find the proclamation in Spanish?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I was there from 1988 to 1993… we must have been there together! Small world! (I'll proceed to send follow-up memories to you via email.)
  • athome
    For those who did this for the first time this year, or for those who have always done this, how was it received?

The congregations this weekend, at least at my parish, seemed to welcome it. They were well catechized before it reached their ears though.