Missa de Angelis with Handbell Accompaniment
  • SWM
    The handbell choir I direct at my church plays before and during the Christmas Mass during the Day at 10:00am on Christmas morning. The Mass ordinary is always Missa de Angelis (Missa VIII) from the Graduale Romanum. I would like the handbell choir to be able to accompany at least Gloria VIII and Sanctus VIII of Missa de Angelis along with the organ, but I can't find any handbell accompaniment available online. Is any member of this forum aware of such an accompaniment? Has a member of this forum perhaps composed such an accompaniment that he or she would be willing to share?
  • BenBen
    Just a warning: you might not find one here, as it is, at the very least, unconventional to accompany chant with handbells.
  • Warning, Melo may counter that warning, for good reason.

https://www.giamusic.com/products/P-chantbooks.cfm

• SWM
    In addition to Noel Jones' example, there are other examples of handbell chant accompaniments, including the Gloria from Congregational Mass (John Lee; arranged by Richard Proulx) and the Chant Glory to God from Missa Ubi Caritas (Bob Hurd). I am looking for Missa de Angelis handbell accompaniments similar to these--simple, with chords rung at specific points.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I understand Ben's reluctance, and I'm not poised to endorse any ill-considered or consistent use of handbells to accompany chant. If there is an Ordinary hymn that does invite bells, one would think it would be the Gloria. Peloquin thought as much. And our colleague, Jeffrey Honore, has arranged and composed innumerable works for bells and voices.
    Another example:
    https://youtu.be/XDqS_Bnoeuo
  • SWM
    Thanks for the example of handbell accompaniment for In Paradisum. I appreciate the effort there, but I don't believe it makes sense to play each note of the melody unless the piece is meant to be instrumental only. I hear someone chanting in the video, but it is in the background compared to the instruments.

A Gloria can invite bells. To a lesser degree, the Sanctus can as well.
  • CharlesW
    Just a warning: you might not find one here, as it is, at the very least, unconventional to accompany chant with handbells.

Only with a zymbelstern. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
  • melofluentmelofluent
    SWM, as always there are circumstances regarding the intention of any musical work. The bereaved of a deceased alumnus of the school asked the kids of the Bell Choir to prepare something for the funeral Mass. So I quickly arranged In paradisum for both performance and pedagogy. The latter was an attempt, not wholly unsuccessful, to involve bells in the chant of the Latin Rite. I agree that the playing of the melody is contra-intuitive, however it was a "rushed" effort (as funerals can be) and I think much appreciated by those who attended. It's all about soli Deo gloria.
  • IanWIanW
    Oh dear, I haven't laughed so much in years! Thank you one and all.
  • A Gloria can invite bells. To a lesser degree, the Sanctus can as well.

Typifying the bells as being joyful, typecasting them I don't agree with I can see the Kyrie Orbis Factor with I [in D] after each of the 9, a sudden splash of bells F G A D in quick order and letting them ring out. It would be stunning and very effective.
  • SWM
    Handchimes would also work well. I'm not sure what you mean by "after each of the 9". Do you mean the nine notes sung on the "e-" of "eleison"?