Gabriel Faure's Messe Basse
  • kevinfkevinf
    My girl choir will learn this for their fall concert. If you have sung this or played it and have thoughts, please pass along.
  • BruceL
    Great piece! Will likely be looking at it in our new Ladies' Schola this year, too.
  • Indeed: ever-lovely, another message from the world of the 'sunny' bits of the Requiem. With each movement having its own, different meter and characteristic rhythmic motives, it's somewhat like a friendly etude for counting. (I always give the first two pitches for the Benedictus before starting the movement.) There are a few places where F's suave chromaticism makes tuning a bit challenging, but none of it arbitrary or abstract. The decrescendo on high G at the end of the Sanctus is a bit optimistic!
  • ghmus7
    I love it, the most beautiful movement is the Agnus...BUT are yoi going to sing it in the liturgy too?
  • ghmus7
    As the liturgy.
  • A lovely work which repays the time spent on it. It also can work alternating high and low voices or combining them judiciously.
  • ghmus7
    Have any if you sung it in liturgy?
  • Have you used it that way, Patricia? How did it sound? I'm hesitant to do it with my mostly-male choir because the organ part lies so high. I'm a little fussy about the intended bass note being the actual bass.
  • kevinfkevinf
    We have an invite to sing it at an EF mass at the first of the year. I will let you know how it goes.