A word of Praise for . . .
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I just wanted to say that Peter Conte is one of the greatest Church musicians I have ever heard.

He is a magnificent organist (the world's greatest?), and his choir's renditions of Renaissance polyphony and other choral masterpieces are truly magnificent (musically and technically speaking).

Has anyone else heard of this man's work? He works at St. Clement's Anglican Church in Philadelphia.
  • Jscola30
    I am familar with this work at Wannamakers. He is indeed a great organist.
  • Yes, he's well-known in the so-called Anglo-Catholic (as high-church Anglicans call themselves) world. One finds music on that general level in at least one church of this sort in most major cities, especially New York, Boston, Washington, and Chicago. This is not to take away from Peter Conte's inspired musicianship, but to acknowledge that it represents the best of a particular tradition that has somehow survived the extreme theological and ecclesiological depredations of its larger institutional context.

You can see/hear much of his work at the Saint Clement's website: http://www.s-clements.org/
  • That's an astounding musical lineup, and great recordings. Amazing.