Litany of the Saints
  • paul
    One of the oldest prayers of the Church seems to be the Litany of the Saints. Pope Gregory used it in 595. How would I go about finding this version, or at least one that would be similar?
  • Paul,

Do you mean "Where would I find a copy of a Litany of the Saints which dates from the era of Pope Gregory?"

To get one which is similar, delete all the saints who lived or were canonized after 600 AD.

• paul
    You don't think the litany has changed at all?
  • Perhaps (perhaps!) not the textual content, but certainly the melodic formulae have undergone change and evolution both in Rome and in the various local rites and uses. I doubt that this aspect could be presented with any certitude as to its 'authenticity', whatever that might be.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • The most well known gregorian melody, do we know its age?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Pope Gregory used it in 595. How would I go about finding this version, or at least one that would be similar?

Pretty sure it was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm6ktYq0Yxk
  • chonakchonak
    The first few notes to that (video) version match the beginning of the In paradisum. Does anyone want to propose a theory of influence between the Gregorian funeral chants and the street music of NOLA processions?
    Thanked by 3Adam Wood CHGiffen Jes
  • gregpgregp
    I've also wondered if the repeated ascending fourths in the Nupital Mass Introit (Deus Israel) had any effect on Wagner's Bridal Chorus - nah, probably not.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • Chonak,

I won't make your proposal, but the Dwarfs' chant from Peter Jackson's Hobbit and the De Profundis chant begin the same way -- and I find it hard to dismiss this one, even if it's only quoted by accident.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • MatthewRoth
    Chris, which De profundis chant, and which song, exactly, from the movie?
  • "...the Misty Mountain .... " (the only words I can remember from the Jackson ditty). Sorry to be dismissive of Jackson's remake of Tolkien's original, but while it might stand as a work on its own, it is simply not a faithful retelling.

Offertory for the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • MatthewRoth
    Okay, I thought so. I agree, fwiw. And I’ll have to listen!
    Thanked by 1Jes