Too Long
  • I feel like this is too long for an Entrance Song...am I wrong?

This stuff is dying out. But not soon enough
  • Was this a contemporary Christian music concert with a Mass tacked on as an afterthought? I half expected someone to stage-dive during the performance (maybe one of those kids running across the stage wearing the superhero capes).
  • chonakchonak
    Friends don't let friends clap only on the second and fourth beat of the measure.

Anyway, like so many "praise and worship" songs, this rock number was written by a musician in the Vineyard denomination, a non-liturgical movement which believes in having unstructured worship services. So of course it had nothing to do with any liturgical action.

Hey, if you're going to have songs that the congregation cannot sing along with -- this one was syncopated and irregular -- you may as well have a choir sing an introit!
  • GavinGavin
    I feel like that can only marginally be labeled a "Mass". 100 years ago, no one would have recognized that as even Christian.

The timing actually isn't bad. I've done 7-8 minute entrance chants, with minimal delay. If you have a priest who walks at a stately pace, use incense, and have all the side altars (and creche!) incensed, you can easily get away with long music. Or, if all else fails, you can have someone run across the stage, err I mean "sanctuary" flapping their arms.
  • JamJam
    Wha... what? This is... Mass?

I've heard that song played in a church before, but not in the context of a Mass... it was some praise and worship service... there was Eucharistic adoration though.

Hah! That reminds me. We had this awesome deacon who loves chant, follow up a song like this with a (a capella!) solemn benediction and then chanted the divine praises and then was followed up with... more of this. So incongruous. I love that deacon.
  • incantuincantu
    Your question reminds me of Faure's response to a question about the proper tempo for one of his songs: "If the singer is bad, quite fast."