Musical Alphabet Mapping System : Do you have ideas for applications?
  • francis
    Came up with this idea a few days ago. Does anyone have ideas for applications?

http://myopus.com/mms.mp4
  • I would think that by mapping it uniquely, one could communicate by code.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I am so confused.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • EMH
    I always thought the most common letters were "R S T L N E." Is that just a game show misconception?

It's a super cool idea. You can apply it to the works of classical composers and see what they were secretly trying to communicate.
  • Carl DCarl D
    When I was a kid, I learned (via the comic strip Pogo) that the most used letters were ETAION SHRDLU. Walt Kelly might have dropped the C for some reason, who knows.

If you remember Pogo, you're at least as old as I am!

RSTLNE was a mere invention of Wheel of Fortune. When the show started, the bonus round consisted of guessing 4 (5?) consonants and a vowel on a blank board. They found out that everyone was guessing these letters and STILL not able to guess the words unless they were super-common. So after awhile they started giving you RSTLNE for free, then letting you pick a few more.

It's sad that I know this....
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Why stick to English spelling and grammar when this already exists?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    One of my apps is in place of morse code.

Adam: You have to read the instructions on the video
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam: You have to read the instructions on the video

All I see is a green screen.
  • Priestboi
    Does this include frequency of tone use?

It could be a fund tool to use for composition. Writing some poetry or using words from scripture or traditional prayers and then composing using the notes or chords inspired by those notes.

Other than that it could be a fun party trick to throw out words and hear what they sound like in this system :)
  • francis
    Priestboi

Can you expand a bit more on your ideas. They are very interesting. This makes me think to create other algorithms as this was the easiest and first one to occur to me.
    Thanked by 1Priestboi
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Maybe it works for communicating, but it does not do so in anything approaching a traditional music way, IMHO. You might as well take the 26 letters sorted as follows:

q a z w s x e d c r f v t g b y h n u j m i k o l p

In case you don't see the pattern, here is another view:
    q w e r t y u i o p
    a s d f g h j k l
    z x c v b n m

You could also simply concatenate the three rows to get another collation:

q w e r t y u i o p a s d f g h j k l z x c v b n m

Whether you use such a collation from the middle tone outwards (as Francis does) or just go from lowest to highest (or highest to lowest) tone, my guess is that the result will be just about as musical as the character frequency/middle outwards encoding of Francis.

I used to think about and experiment with such things in my former years.
  • francis
    I was wondering WHEN you were going to chime in, Charles.

Yes, it is not musicality that I am after as much as a communication system. Patterns is the thing. They will all be musical in their own regard, but the higher and lower tones will subconsciously alert one to the fact that lesser used letters are included in the code.

http://www.myopus.com/namesDemo.mp4
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Priestboi
    @Francis - what I meant was...if those same letters could be paired up with the most frequent notes or tones used in a particular period or style of music, it would make for an interesting means of communication - possibly the most frequent notes used today in popular contemporary music, during the renaissance or in ancient music - not sure how this would be worked out though :P

Another question would be whether or not these letters would have set tones as you have it or would work on solfege so that it may be used in various keys and modes.

We could then use these notes to take pieces of prose or poetry and set it using either the notes themselves or as accompaniment by an instrument or as a base note for a chord.

I will try my hand at an example while I am on holiday for the next 10 days. Not much of a composer, but will have a go at it.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ... the most frequent notes or tones used in a particular period or style of music, ...
    This is something that is next to impossible to do in any sensible manner, unless (1) one focuses only on a single melody (or part) of a work that (presumably) is harmonized or polyphonic, (2) one transposes everything to a common key, which itself becomes sticky when both major and minor modes are sampled, (3) one discovers that most eras of music require the addition of accidentals (sharps & flats) to the diatonic scale, (4) one discovers that there are changes of key signature and modulations to new keys within a work, (5) one realizes that harmony is an essential ingredient of music written from the Renaissance onward, at least until one encounters the atonalism and serialism of modern times (which was actually preceded by polytonality already in the 19th century).

Furthermore, most melodic material in a tonal scheme is something that does not occur randomly; instead, melody proceeds horizontally, with each note related in some way to its predecessors or, more correctly, to its neighbors. Once, long ago, I took a rather longish melody/theme from a Mahler symphony (the 9th), and calculated, for each note in the melody, the frequency with which each note followed the given note in the theme. Then, I tried to construct melodies using this information as a probability model for determining the flow of the melodies. The results were, rarely, almost melodic at times, even Mahlerian, but mostly they were pretty awful. And this was a primitive application that required lots of work at the time.
    Thanked by 1Priestboi
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    pretty cool Francis. I'll have to try it out
    Thanked by 1francis
  • aria
    Francis, did you end up finishing this project? I think it's fun! I can see "setting" my kids' names to "their" tune w/ this, and then singing (instead of just yelling) out their names to get them to come to where I am. Kind of like the dad in the "Sound of Music", haha!
  • francis
    never did anything else with this idea... it could be like an enigma coding device

hmmmm.... found this in the draft block. looks like I spoke itin and never corrected the Siri guesses

Another application underwater communications. For instance in submarines they use Morse code and they tapped to each other but that is extremely slow so this would be a very highly individualized skill but if one person was on the sub in another person was communicating from a ship itwould be a great way to send messages and even scrap the coaches there are an infinite amount of ways that you could algorithms tide the process.