• daniel
    Is there a rubric regarding the ringing of tower bells for weddings? I have controls at the organ, and I ring them as the couple is recessing. Should I ring them before the wedding starts instead?
  • BenBen
    On a somewhat unrelated note, I would love to see more churches ring the church bells at the consecration...have you considered that at all the Sunday Masses?
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I think this is more of a custom issue than a rubric issue, but I could be wrong. I was looking around for answers for funerals, and again, it seemed the rubrics don't say much but the custom is to toll at the commendation.

I began ringing bells at the consecration for Solemnities, etc. at my last Parish and the congregation actually took notice and loved it!
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Dr. Steven Ball has written several articles on the subject of bells in the Catholic tradition. I'll ask him to chime in on this discussion. (Pardon the pun.)
  • In Italy in small towns, the church bell is rung upon notification of a death, one stroke for each year. Often, people will look at each other and say "Oh. La signora Piacetti è morto."
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Noel - There is (or used to be) a similar practice in England, the ringing of the "Nine Taylors".

A bell is rung in three sets of three (for nine), alerting of the death. Then the age of the deceased is tolled slowly.

As for the discussion at hand:

The Monks of St. Meinrad Archabbey have specific norms for how the bells are to be rung, based on the day, class of feast, etc.

In speaking with Dr. Ball, his recommendation is to reserve the pealing of all of the bells available for only Solemnities and Sundays, as well observing the nature of the Season (taking into account those rubrics which forbid the ringing of bells).

For example, if your tower has three bells, and they can be rung individually (which we hope they can, as to this day liturgical law does not permit the automation of bells, or the use of recorded bells or devices designed to imitate the sound of real bells; law that has been roundly ignored for various, invalid reasons), then all three should only be rung on Solemnities or Sundays, for example, Christmas Day. Begin by ringing all three for 3 minutes, then the top two together for two minutes, then the bottom two together for two minutes, then all three again for three minutes. This should begin at least 15 minutes before Mass is to begin. Or, you could start with all three, then ring each individually, then back to all three.

The idea is to give the bells a voice in helping the Faithful grasp the importance and rhythm of the liturgical year. The major Solemnities of the Temporal Cycle likely should carry more weight than those of the Sanctoral Cycle. Likewise, not all Sundays in the Temporal Cycle carry exactly the same gravity. For instance, Sundays Tempus per annum do not carry the weight of the Sundays of Advent, Christmastide, Lent, or Eastertide. Unfortunately, with the abandonment of the class system of feasts, and the weakening of the interplay between Sanctoral and Temporal Cycles, these distinctions become more difficult to establish, and too much of it seems based on the caprice of the decision-maker, rather than established Catholic cultural and liturgical norms.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Reval
    Sorry, couldn't help thinking of Poe, when I read the thread title:
    -----------------------------------------
    Hear the mellow wedding bells
    Golden bells!
    What a world of happiness their harmony foretells !
    Through the balmy air of night
    How they ring out their delight !
    From the molten-golden notes,
    And all in tune,
    What a liquid ditty floats
    To the turtle-dove that listens, while she gloats
    On the moon !
    Oh, from out the sounding cells,
    What a gush of euphony voluminously wells !
    How it swells !
    How it dwells
    On the Future ! how it tells
    Of the rapture that impels
    To the swinging and the ringing
    Of the bells, bells, bells,
    Of the bells, bells, bells, bells,
    Bells, bells, bells --
    To the rhyming and the chiming of the bells !