CD recommendation
  • As I looked to start this thread, I thought we should have a category for recordings. Can we make one?

I ran across this today and thought others might want to know about it. We all benefit from discovering musical treasures composed between 1599 and 1900. I'd be curious to know if anyone has heard this disc. I plan to get one right away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/pf63/

BTW it is available for mp3 Download from Amazon.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I do have this recording and found it a very interesting change from the usual diet of earlier Spanish polyphony. Full of composers that you know and love for other works - Albeniz, Sor, Granados.

And I think a category for recordings is an excellent idea, Michael.
  • "Recordings" category has just been created. Thank you for the recommendation!
  • mjballoumjballou
    Talk about responsive management!
  • Yes we can! Oh.. sorry.
  • Well, selectively responsive. That was an easy task. Attachments and other niggling matters...not so much. I'll see what I can do about those.

It's a great idea, and I hope that people take advantage of it. There's a lot of great stuff out there.
  • This website is making me a pauper...let's have a few more good publications and CD selections, shall we? This sounds jolly, must buy...
  • One of my New Year's resolultions is to finally get around to contacting the record companies about providing CDs for review in Sacred Music. Not forgotten, Jeffrey!
  • mjballoumjballou
    Here's a new recommendation. Christian Forshaw. http://www.christianforshaw.com/ A wonderful sax player, whose Sanctuary project recordings include the fantastic voice of Grace Davidson. Not quite what you'd expect if you're looking for chant or polyphony. There's lots of samples on his website, so give it a listen.

After I heard Veni, Emmanuel on Classic FM, I succumbed immediately. Music like this is a door into sacred music for many who've grown up with rotten music in their churches. And leaving aside all good purposes and motives, I enjoy listening to it.

Happy St. Stephen's Day to one and all!