Biden Funeral Program
  • JahazaJahaza

Via Luke Russert's Twitter.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Classic American RC funeral.....
  • cmb
    GIRM 382 a. The preceding prohibition on eulogies shall not apply to the funerals of prominent politicians, wherein four eulogies are permitted.
  • chonakchonak
    I had no idea that "Bring Him Home" from Les Misérables was a liturgical song.
    Thanked by 3canadash Spriggo BruceL
  • MatthewRoth
    “Til Kingdom Come” is by Coldplay and was sung by the lead singer. :(

The priest basically canonized him. Why can’t we just pray for him and exhort others to conversion and to live for the Resurrection?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • melofluentmelofluent
    In AmChurch, darn near everything can be appropriated for liturgy and exonerated.
    Kvetching about this or that, especially as regards funerals, reminds of spitting into the wind and Westboro Baptist.
  • MatthewRoth
    The farthest from chant, polyphony, and solid hymnody I would go is the Pie Iesu/Agnus Dei by Lloyd Webber. But that isn’t too shabby all things considered...
  • How sad. The late Mr. Biden needs prayers (because we all do), and what he gets is this?!

Contact me off-line if you're interested in putting together a Spiritual Bouquet.

May he rest in peace.

In other news, could someone explain why Mr. Obama (a non-Catholic) was invited to give a eulogy at this funeral?

• MatthewRoth
    Why was anyone eulogizing him? And why were there four speakers, with one speaking for twenty-five minutes? Guess which speaker took that long.
    Thanked by 1cmb
  • Jeffrey Quick
    and the question which must not be asked: why is America obsessing over the natural death of a fairly minor politician? It's a tragedy for the Biden family, and quite possibly an eternal tragedy for the deceased. But it's of absolutely no importance to the rest of the country.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Jeffrey, we don't part company on much, but it is a loss for the Biden family. It is no more tragedy than my father's and father in law's suicides or my mother's Bataan march to lung cancer. And there's only an illusion of obsession. (see "Satan's biggest trick.") Like I tried to say in a genteel manner, grousing over any of this "coverage," be it Biden's, JFK's, Teddy's or other famed "RC" funerals, is not an occasion for righteous indignation. At best, it only compounds a pathetic reality as regards how we regard death and transfiguration.
    I should listen to Strauss tonight just for its poignancy.
  • I would never know that these songs existed were it not for their appearance here. Some, not all, but some, have said that I was 'out of touch'. I think that if this is being 'in touch' I'd rather not be. These people apparently have no concept of what a Christian, Catholic or otherwise, funeral is. They are really 'out of touch'.

I must disagree with Jeffrey. The death of our Vice-President's son is a legitimate occasion for a normal outpouring of national sympathy. This doesn't imply that we think much of the politics of the VP or his son.
  • MatthewRoth
    Exactly. I respect Biden (even if I do not care for him as a politician) and it is terrible that he buried his wife and two children.