New Music Reading at Colloquium - Deadline Looming
  • JDE
    Dear Composers:

So far only three pieces have been submitted for the New Music Reading Session. Since I've been tasked with assembling the booklet, I am encouraging all my fellow composers to offer something for your colleagues to read.

If you feel shy about subjecting your work to public scrutiny, let me exhort you in the words of those 1970s sages Francis Healy and Joe Raposo:

Don't worry that it's not good enough
    for anyone else to hear --
    just [submit], [submit] a song.

Tick-tock, colleagues. The deadline is 15 June -- just a week from Monday. Honestly -- it's getting to the point where I might have to write something myself.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Alas, if I were able to attend, I would be sending (or have already sent) something ... but it just isn't in the cards. Others ... get cracking! ... and submit something!!!
  • Kathy
    How much does it cost, again?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    2 of those must be mine. Now, if you'd like to lift the 2-piece limit... (and yeah, I've got to pay yet)
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Could I submit a piece on behalf of another composer? (He doesn't "do" the interwebs.)
  • JDE
    Okay, after consulting the appropriate authority, I have found that the composer must be present. However, to answer Mr. Stimson, I don't see why you couldn't submit for the other composer as long as you are willing to stand in for him (and presumably cough up the $30). Someone must be there to represent him or her.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Ack. I won't be able to be there, due to family concerns.

Please, if there's anyone who would be willing to stand in for a fellow Catholic artist, I'd be more than willing to pay $30 for registration. PM ME ASAP.
  • It has been my intention to submit, but I have been delayed by music directing and slow computers. I will try from my work computer tomorrow, so there is at least one more (if not two)!
  • SalieriSalieri
    Dumb question: If say, I want to submit a movement of a larger work like a Mass, which is all in one larger PDF file, would you just excerpt the appropriate pages or should I create a new file with just the movement I want to submit?
  • JDE
    Signor Salieri, please just send me the whole thing and tell me which pages you want to include. I have the full version of Acrobat, so I can extract pages as needed.

Thanks for participating!
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You can do it yourself from Acrobat Reader. Open the PDF file, then print (to PDF) the selection of pages you want. I use PDF995 for my PDF "printer".
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    CutePDF also works well and is free.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I've been out of touch .. and don't really know the parameters. But my Agnus Dei might be a good fit. http://www.hartenshield.com/0573_agnus_dei.pdf

And could get some interesting gasps and things from participants asked to tune their singing! Demo recording https://soundcloud.com/williamcopper/0573_agnus_dei

And if I can persuade my daughter to feed the pigs, I might even be able to be there in person ..
  • chonakchonak
    Well, we might not have time in the sight-reading session for detailed tuning, despite its virtues.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
    Just to recap parameters for the Colloquium New Music Reading for 2015:

New Music

By popular demand, the Colloquium New Music reading session is back. The New Music Reading for this year’s Sacred Music Colloquium is scheduled for Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 4:30 pm at Synod Hall at St. Paul Cathedral in Pittsburgh. If you have a piece of music you would like to submit for inclusion in the 2015 New Music volume, please sent it to programs@musicasacra.com in PDF format by June 15, 2015. Each composer may submit up to two pieces, for a total limit of 15 pages. A piece can be a motet or Mass movement, Latin- or English-texted, or other choral music suitable for the Roman rite.

In your e-mail, be sure to include your contact information for inclusion in the book. As this is a composers’ forum as much as a reading session, participation is limited to registered Colloquium participants. There is a $30 submission fee, paid through paypal or by check to our office (Address: CMAA, PO Box 4344, Roswell, NM 88202). The fee covers the cost of printing the volume, and saves you from having to make 200 copies of each of your submitted compositions.

In addition to the New Music Reading session, this year’s breakout schedule includes three days of breakouts with David Hughes, where you’ll be able to collaborate with other composers to fine-tune your compositions. Please bring at least 15 copies of the work you plan to use during the session for participants in the breakout.

If you have questions, please contact us at programs@musicasacra.com.
    New Music Submissions now closed.

Thanks very much, all who are participating!

Janet.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions