St. Phillip Neri Mass (Jernberg) - anyone done it?
  • Has anyone implemented the St. Phillip Neri Mass in their parish, or done it at a one-time event or celebration?

http://www.pauljernberg.com/preview/

It is so ridiculously beautiful.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    We have been doing it for a year and a half.
  • Ah! Thoughts on implementation? How difficult was it for your parish to learn? Do you do it with organ accompaniment or all a cappella?
  • I often sub for Paul Jernberg and always accompany his Mass with organ. It's wonderfully expressive yet simple.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Sgt.,
    We started in SATB first Sunday of use. Two thoughts:
    1. It's difficult to assess participatio actuosa as such from within the schola; the response to the Kyrie being the sole exception, which is taken up noticeably.
    2. Paul's exquisite voicing among all parts could mean that congregants can virtually sing whatever they discern as melodic, and likely not be too "off."
    We could sing a capella, but our organist is intuitive, inventive and appropriately discreet. Be a shame not to let him just sit there. We're good, but we're not the Schola of St. Peter the Apostle either.
  • Thank you. That is very helpful.
  • soarmarcsoarmarc
    I sang parts of it (Kyrie & Gloria) a cappella with a 6-person choir for Mass on Christmas Day this past year. It was heavenly.

I would love to sing the full Mass of St. Philip Neri in SATB every Sunday, but my regular choir wouldn't be able to manage all the voices. I am planning to introduce the Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus & Agnus Dei for regular use this Fall. At least to start, we'll sing it in unison with organ accompaniment.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I would like to offer a consideration, as I'm as familiar with Paul's Mass, save for JMThompson, as anybody.
    Missa SPN is the most adept, beautiful amalgam of the Mahrt paradigm that I've encountered since hitching my wagon with CMAA. There is everything to gain, and nothing to lose by investing effort in its usage. Listening to JMT's recording is a privilege but not a keystone.
    My sole central point, Paul Jernberg has articulated a setting that, whether fully or partially realized, meets the three judgments that CMAA holds as worthy (as opposed to SttL.) And not the least of those three is "universal." I used to hold Proulx's "Oecumenica" as the standard for achieving the judgments as well as FCAP. But, MSPN exceeds that worthy start by a country mile.
    And what I know that gives me the most hope, Jernberg, Clark, Giffen, Morber, Ostrowski et al can only move forward from this.
    Soarmarc, if you want to get your crew of six and hopefully more ready to lead MSPN as a viable FCAP setting, don't forget using Richard Rice's Simple Choral Gradual as a pedagogical step. Over and out.
  • CGM
    The phrase "ridiculously beautiful" was once used to describe another Mass setting.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Interesting observation, CGM. We've done Mueller as well since MR3 (as well as JMO's S.RalphS, Nickel's S.ThereseL., Giffen's Ascension, and a couple of others.) All different but beautiful birds of a feather. I would say that the genius of Jernberg's setting is a conceptual, whole entity sort of vision, in which the OF liturgy is provided not only the respect of every sung word, but the very embodiment of noble simplicity.
  • toddevoss
    Bump. I occasionally travel - where is a parish where I can hear this wonderful setting ( I have the recording)?
  • St Vincent de Paul, Elkhart, IN (Kyrie, Gloria, Holy, Save Us, Lamb only)
    Thanked by 1toddevoss
  • Annunciation Church, Brazil, IN
    St. Paul the Apostle, Greencastle, IN
    Thanked by 1toddevoss
  • PFJ
    Just discovered this conversation, and am deeply grateful for all of your kind comments about the Mass of St. Philip Neri! Am attaching a list of parishes and schools around the country and abroad where they have informed me that they been singing my music (usually Mass of SPN) at least for some periods over the past eight years. Sometimes the town is listed but not the parish: if you need to know more, just ask and I can dig up the parish name. AMDG image
  • toddevoss
    Sergeantedward - When I was a kid I grew up in Greencastle Indiana. So I will have to get back.
  • toddevoss
    PFJ - Thank you so much for this comprehensive list
  • MarkB
    Just thought I'd pass along that I noticed the Mass of St. Philip Neri now has a digital download option of the major Mass parts available for purchase for $24.99, which includes unlimited reprinting and copying permissions for your parish. That's a great value, and I hope having this inexpensive option available will lead to wider use of this still little-known setting that is better than just about everything published by OCP and GIA.

https://www.pauljernberg.com/scores/mass-of-st-philip-neri-excerpts-digital
  • I bought a copy a while back. I've never used it but I do really like it!
  • This mass setting has been added to the Source and Summit Missal for 2024.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores