Graduale parvum
  • bonniebede
    I was just looking at the Graduale parvum, which is lovely work, and wondering if anyone is typesetting this in square notes. That would make it so much more accessible. Anyone know anything about that?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    ...typesetting this in square notes. That would make it so much more accessible.
    I frankly can't be bothered with the book till it's reset in Old Goudy.
  • bonniebede
    (:-/ . The material is wonderful. The kids in the schola only read square notes. Is it that bizarre a query?
  • SalieriSalieri
    The kids in the schola only read square notes.

When was the last time that sentence was uttered? 1384?

The Graduale Parvum is wonderful. I think it is Fr. Guy Nichols who is in charge of it's production. I believe he is at the Brompton Oratory, he'd probably be the one to contact.
  • Fr Nicholls is a priest of the Birmingham Oratory - yes, he's in charge of the taking the Graduale Parvum forward to publication, and I understand that square notes are under consideration. You will find out more if you get to either of these events:
    in Wolverhampton on 23 May;
    or at Buckfast Abbey in August.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • I understand that square notes are under consideration.

This reminds me that I just found a file from ICEL that explains their musical decisions for the new translation, including notation. They considered square-notes, but decided against it. You'll have to read it to find out why!

(Attached to this post, if you are reading on a moble device)
    Thanked by 2bonniebede francis
  • chonakchonak
    Fr. Nicholls kindly sent a note to let us know:

The Graduale Parvum introits in Latin and English and all in square notation are presently being uploaded week by week on the website of the Blessed John Henry Newman Institute of Liturgical Music.

http://jhnilm.org.uk
  • bonniebede
    found them In the news and blogs section
  • francis
    thank you romanticstrings for the icel doc.

Here is the portion about the notation:

In the music to be provided to the Conferences of Bishops, ICEL seriously considered employing the venerable four‐line square note notation of the Latin chant books. Once one learns the medieval notation, which does not take long, it is in some ways easier to read than modern five‐line notation. But pastoral considerations argued against this approach. There is danger that the traditional four‐line notation would pose a practical hindrance and psychological barrier for some singers. The uppermost goal must be to enable sung liturgy.

Though a standard G clef (without key signature) is used with this five‐line notation, it is not intended to suggest an absolute pitch, but rather, as in four‐line notation, relative pitch, to accommodate various ranges of voices that will be singing these chants. Recordings of this music at different pitches will eventually be made available on line free of charge on various Web sites. A celebrant, for example, will be able to click on the text of the Sunday Preface to be chanted and hear a recording of it. Furthermore, composers will be able to provide their own accompaniments (at more than one pitch) of people’s parts such as the Gloria, Creed, Sanctus, Memorial Acclamations, and Agnus Dei.

It is a daunting responsibility to prepare liturgical books for the liturgy, which is “a sacred action surpassing all others” (SC 7). ICEL hopes that its efforts will help the people of God to worship worthily, and thereby achieve the purpose of the liturgy, which is the sanctification of people and the glorification of God (see SC 10).

So, this is the full reason given, without explanation?

But pastoral considerations argued against this approach. There is danger that the traditional four‐line notation would pose a practical hindrance and psychological barrier for some singers. The uppermost goal must be to enable sung liturgy.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    They could have -- and should have --- allowed publishers to provide 4-line Altar Missals.