• GavinGavin
    Here's a blog many of us may enjoy: Fr. Cranky. Basically it's an anonymous conservative priest being incredibly frank. Definitely more frank than a priest should be, and I must say about half of the posts cross the line from frustration to uncharity. I would really rather not have this guy for a pastor. But so many of his posts I empathize with, as they echo thoughts I've had as a musician. Whether you find him brilliant, frightening, holy, unholy, charming, or despicable, it's a good read. And every so often, he has a great post like this.

EDIT: I fixed the link. He had to change blog names due to... er... copyright issues.
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks, Gavin. I'll have to start reading him regularly!
  • Cantor
    Wow...check this post out!

It does seem strange that, while he ponders letting parish staff go, he doesn’t account for the dependence on income that those staff members have probably developed. If my parish’s next pastor decides a FT music director is unnecessary, hopefully he will at least wait until I leave to discuss this with the administration! (Actually, that happened in my last parish; I was FT, and when I left, they decided—rightly, I believe—that a FT music director was overkill in a parish that size.)
  • I didn't see any related to letting parish staff go in that blog entry.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Go back a few posts. There's some thought-provoking ones in there.
  • This guy sounds like he'd be fun to work for. Staff's not taking the load off him, he's bombarded with questions from people they are supposed to train and organize...why pay a staff member who's not doing her/his job?

And when the whiners go up to him and complain about too much Latin and Gregorian Chant...he'd scorch them.

A GOOD Fr. Scorched Earth...
  • JamJam
    He links to this thread in his most recent entry... (http://frcranky.blogspot.com/2008/12/great-migration.html, paragraphs 6 and 7). Just thought I'd mention that. Whoever it is, he knows you're here!
  • GavinGavin
    Father C.: Get some chant in your parish! Or as I say, damn the Boomers, full speed ahead!
  • Gavin, have you just consigned me to Gehenna/Sheol/Netherlands? ;-)
  • GavinGavin
    Charles - you have redeemed yourself from among this wicked generation!

Actually, I try to avoid generational stereotypes since I believe mine, Generation Y/the Myspace generation, is going to be FAR worse than the Boomers were. Lust for convenience, pragmatism, and entertainment knows no generational boundaries. I just hope Fr. C puts his zeal for orthodoxy to some good use in his parish, rather than despairing that nothing can be done. Until then, his blog is insanely entertaining to read, since I suspect so many of us have had those same frustrations, even as musicians.