Pontifical Requiem High Mass in Ontario
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Bishop Bernard Fellay, the Superior General of the FSSPX, will be celebrating a Pontifical Requiem High Mass for the repose of the soul of Fr. Nicholas Gruner, aka "The Fatima Priest" May 9, at the Scotiabank Convention Centre, 6815 Stanley Avenue, Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada. Following the Pontifical High Mass will be interment at Saint Michael Cemetery on Stonemill Rd., Fort Erie, Ontario.

Regardless of what one may think of the sometimes controversial life and message of the late Fr. Gruner, this event ought to be quite fascinating from a liturgical and aesthetical perspective. I am very much looking forward to seeing the arrangements, vestments, ceremonies and the music and hope it will be in the spirit of the French traditional Catholic liturgies, of which I am so fond.
  • vansensei
    I agree wholehartedly, and he was a very holy priest dedicated to the eventual fulfillment of the Consecration to Russia. May he RIP.

If any of you forumers live in the Buffalo, NY area, you are no more than probably a half-hour from this, I implore you to go.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl canadash
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I think Matt Archbold put it rather well on his blog:

There is a lot that can be said about Fr. Gruner, but the only thing that needs to be said is that he loved Our Lady with all his heart and soul.

Speaking for myself, I've always found Fr. Gruner's research on Fatima highly credible and well done, but there is certainly room for different interpretations on the subject of the Third Secret. The implications of Fr. Gruner's conclusions do warrant some consideration. It's kind of like Pascal's Wager: if Fr. Gruner is correct, it might be best for the Pope to do the Consecration again, but this time exactly as Our Lady requested since the consequences are so dire if he doesn't do it, whereas if Fr. Gruner is incorrect, there is no harm in doing the Consecration again.

I think this Huffington Post editorial was a pretty sage assessment which is basically: It can't hurt to do exactly what Our Lady asked, and it might just help the world. A whole lot.

“Hard to fathom what has taken so many popes so long to listen to and follow the clear instruction of the ‘Mother of the World’ who is also the ‘Mother of the Church.’ Was something lost in translation? Maybe this October 13 with a nod and nudge from President Putin, this Pope will ‘Consecrate Russia’ exactly as requested by their Holy Mother… Then will the era of world transformation emerge, sanctifying graces flow and the perfect peace prize be shared... far greater than a Nobel. Joy to the world as we jointly open our hearts to receive the essential gift of grace, the virtue of charity, and find The Way of Heaven exclaiming: ‘Immaculate Heart of Mary and Holy Spirit, guide us. Amen.’”
  • Just for the sake of the question, is it possible that Pope Francis is trying to gather all the bishops in Rome, for the Synod, precisely to accomplish the Consecration of Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary?
  • chonakchonak
    As far as I know, only some bishops are eligible to attend. Would that matter?
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    If I'm not mistaken, the bishops of the world do not have to be physically present for the Consecration but can offer the Consecration in their own cathedrals in union with the Holy Father, a moral union.
  • MatthewRoth
    The only time the majority of bishops have been together was Vatican II...
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    http://www.dacast.com/viewer/videos/father-gruner-pontificate-high-mass-eng/

An update on the Rev. Fr. Nicholas Gruner's Requiem Mass:

My husband and I watched the video above and found it quite interesting.

Despite the bleak civic venue, (the Scotia Center) the temporary altar and vestments were impressive, as well as the highly disciplined altar servers. The unaccompanied male schola sang beautifully, with energy and precision, and the mixed choir gave a lovely rendition of Allegri's Miserere at Communion.

Bishop Fellay's heartfelt and moving words at the end of Mass were most inspiring and the best possible commentary on the life and work of this priest who was so dedicated to Our Lady.

I am compelled to note that the French traditionalist style of worship (a la the vibrant participation of the faithful at St. Nicolas du Chardonnet) was not in evidence despite the presence of Bishop Fellay and another French celebrant. It was no doubt wishful thinking on my part that somehow that would be the case in Canada, but it would seem the North American traditional liturgical culture is pretty consistent, but I'll discuss that on another thread.