Francis Cardinal George
  • BenBen
    It appears that his prediction for his own death has come true. Let's hope that the predictions for his successors does not.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • benedictgal
    This breaks my heart. He was one of the good guys. Chicago will never see another the likes of Francis Cardinal George.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Requiescat in pace. We'll be praying for His Eminence here. I had to refresh my memory on his predictions for his successors. Very sobering, indeed.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • kevinfkevinf
    Cardinal George was the moderator for Pueri Cantores in the US. He supported Pueri in a variety of ways and I shall never forget his blessings he gave to us who were involved in Pueri Cantores. RIP Cardinal George.

And the predictions for his successors...
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    And the predictions for his successors...

I think Cardinal George made that prediction 5 years ago, and five years later, the likelihood that he may be correct seems to be increasing. Apropos this chilling headline from Reuters which I saw yesterday:

(Reuters) - Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said he condemned Pope Francis on Tuesday for comments that the 1915 mass killing of Armenians was genocide and warned him not to make such a statement again.

• What were Cardinal George's predictions?

I read several years ago of a prelate who had said 'I will die in my bed. My successor will die in jail, and his successor will be shot'. Was it Cardinal George who said this? If not, who?
  • EMH
    "I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history."

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/tim-drake/the-myth-and-the-reality-of-ill-die-in-my-bed#ixzz3XdD9GYRR
  • Liam
    Just remember that Cdl George himself expressly clarified later that he did not intend those words in a prophetic manner, but as what he admitted as "overly dramatic" phrasing simply to enlarge discussion in the context in which he originally used it. It doesn't serve his stated purpose to re-purpose it after his death.
  • mahrt
    He was one of the most distinguished American churchmen, deeply intellectual, a man of prayer. He celebrated a Latin Mass in the OF for the Colloquium in Chicago and sang it beautifully with an insightful sermon. We give thanks for the light of his leadership.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • I had the honor to meet and talk with Cardinal George, and he was as humble as he was intelligent. Funny too. A real mensch of the Church. Given his cancer, we can really only be thankful that God left him with us for as long as he did, and now it's time to add another galero in the apse at Holy Name. Pretiosa in conspectu Domini mors sanctorum eius.