Vespers for the Day of Pascha (booklet) - 1534 Salisbury Use
  • Vespers for the Day of Pascha - 1534 Salisbury Use, Roman Rite (GH Palmer)
    https://app.box.com/s/4737c4p76f9x6wpjmedg4bx8bohoqtf2

Here is a link to a booklet I made containing a number of tropes plus nice fauxbourdons. Enjoy. :-) Most of it is in english according to Anglican (or corrected Anglican) translations.

Christus Resurrexit!
  • G
    Gorgeous booklet.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • There are a few errors, so far I see that the order of the magnificat was off by one page and two notes in the english language processional kyrie are wrong. I will correct it later today... Psalm 112 also is slightly confusing as I presented it in two versions which look almost the same...
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Is that processional Kyrie the same as the Old Roman Paschal Vespers?
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    "It's" in "it's octave" should be "its"

… Just saying.
  • yes, the processional kyrie is the same as the old roman one. I believe it did spread to northern europe and was used elsewhere too but don't quote me on that. The lucernarium is definitely ambrosian, but I think the lucernarium is a nice thing to do (something to sing while you light lamps is all, as found in the byzantine rite vespers). That is why I put them before the rest of it, they are not proper to the Salisbury use, but as far as I could see there was no objection in using them before it begun if one wanted or for devotional use in some way (in ones own private chapel for example where rules are not so strict) (we all have friends who sing the office in their own private chapels don't we? Washington DC area is full of them).

I had a look at the other old roman troped kyries in the same Graduale of Sancta Cecilia manuscript. I found them to be some of the nicest troped kyries I have found, some of which appeared to not be as well known outside of Italy. Being that their notation is not truly singeable for most people. (I can manage to read some of it ) I think they should have their own published edition, and possibly an english version as well.
    Thanked by 1Roborgelmeister