• kevinfkevinf
    Another take on the SSPX. Link repaired.

>www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXkE_nCw7o4
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Sounds very intriguing, but, alas, the link is broken.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Thanks Arthur.

It is a fascinating discussion, though I am left wondering about who is speaking for who?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The video appears to be criticizing the attempt at rapprochement towards Rome by Bishop Fellay in late 2012. Their main objection appears to be that Bishop Fellay stopped condemning the errors of Vatican II, and that the SSPX has lost its way. It heralds Bishop Williamson and a handful of SSPX priests who broke away around that time from the SSPX, claiming to be the true successors of Archbishop Lefebrve. This breakaway group calls itself SSPX Of The Strict Observance.

I kid you not.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I would like to know who exactly the person(s) responsible for the video is/are. [Edit: Julie posted while writing this, c.f. her comment] I am not affiliated with the Society in any way, but I never got the impression that Bishop Fellay was trying to undermine the Society or the vision of Archbishop Lefebvre, or that Bishop Williamson was the only one in the Society still holding onto that vision.

Also, personally, though I am not an expert in the Holocaust, and I do think that it gets brought out in arguments about the Israeli/Palestinian controversy too much, I feel that Bp. Williamson's remarks about it are in much the same vein as Cardinal Kasper's "The Africans should not be telling us too much what to do" comment.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Is this SSPX rebranding itself, or an attempt of a spin-off group, SSPX of the Strict Observance to rebrand the SSPX? Apropos the flashy name, SSPX of the Strict Observance, can anyone name so much as one issue where the SSPX doesn't take a strict observance?

I'm not a member of the SSPX, but fair is fair. I think they're pretty much doing the same things they always have, and for the life of me, I don't see how anyone can accuse them of "going soft".

(I'm not being critical of them either, the only thing I'm being critical of is the idea that somehow they're not following the strict observance they have always followed.)

I think, in fact, there is much we can learn from SSPX France, for example, in regards to the liturgy, but that's an entirely different subject and I don't want to derail things here.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    SSPX Of The Strict Observance

Was it stopping of condemnations in 20th century sedevacantism?
    It was not.
    IS OUTRAGE.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Actually, SSPX France might actually be an important part of the equation: From what I understand Bp. Williamson was stationed in the USA, which in the Trad. world seems to be primarily of a Low Mass mentality; could it be that part of the "Strict Observance" is ignoring Sacrosanctum Concillium and the Liturgical Movement, to which SSPX France seems to adhere, and Strictly Observing only the Low Masses with silent congregations that "traditionalists" remember from before the Church "went wrong"?

Honest question, btw, because I am unfamiliar with the Society (regular 'strict observance') from a practical, on the ground stand-point.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That's an interesting angle, Salieri. Bishop Williamson was for a long time the rector of the SSPX seminary in Winona, but he was also an Anglican convert, so I'm not 100% sure what his attitude is regarding active participation.

However, I do know a number of SSPX priests who were ardently against the notion of active participation and believed Pope Pius XII was not in his right mind when he implemented De Musica Sacra, and such an attitude prevailed for a long time in many SSPX chapels in the U.S. A few years ago, a French priest was made head of the SSPX in America and after him, a German priest, so it may have been the French superior who added Fr. Simoulin's above to the website. I don't know for sure, but it is interesting that Europeans have been put in place here in America.
  • CharlesW
    Was it stopping of condemnations in 20th century sedevacantism?
    It was not.
    IS OUTRAGE.

ANATHEMA! HERESY! DOUBLE OUTRAGE!!! LOL.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    One of my choristers was SSPX seminarian and a student/protégé of Williamson. Summation: brilliant nut job.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW