And even more versus populum!
  • Kathy
    In a few places recently I've noticed a trend towards the celebrant and deacon standing in front of the altar facing the people during the opening rites of the Mass. Is this a thing? Where did it come from?
  • Liam
    I *love* the caption for this topic. Just needed to say that.
  • CharlesW
    I have never seen this and have no idea where it could have started. However, I said the same about holding hands during the Our Father.
  • fcbfcb
    We do it at my parish, I think because the presider's chair is off to one side and not terribly visible. Of course, my question is why people need to be able to see the presider for the opening rites, but no one has asked me my opinion.
    Thanked by 4Liam CharlesW Ben Gavin
  • francis
    Now Charles... please hold our hands!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Fritz, out of curiosity, why "in front" of the altar?
  • kevinfkevinf
    They do this also at ND de Paris. Everything the celebrant does, he does in front of the altar. The rumor is that the Archbishop does it and he wants everyone to follow. I personally believe its because they are on television,which they often are (KTO.)
  • eft94530eft94530
    Maybe because the priest wants to improvise, or the priest does not want to draw attention to the altar until it is the "right" time (except when they want to use the large altar missal despite the servers standing ready to bring the small book of opening prayers to the chair)?
  • RevAMG
    I've heard of it being done at one parish in my diocese. The church is a very unusual shape and the nave is very wide so the pastor does the introductory rites and the homily from the center. When I had the Masses there once, I did the introductory rites from the chair. Don't get me started on the music there either. But, nevertheless, the priest there simply did it from the center (in front of the altar) so everyone could see (ignoring GIRM 50 which says it is from the chair).