Ash Wednesday-Tuesday anticipated-vigil-Mass-thingy? Help!
  • SalieriSalieri
    I am pretty certain that there must be something in writing prohibiting the anticipation of Ash Wednesday on the night before, i.e. Using the Mass (with Violet vestments) for Ash Wednesday on the Evening of Tuesday of Whatever-it-is Week Per Annum, or even distributing ashes at the Mass for the Tuesday of Whatever-it-is Week.

It doesn't make sense liturgically (it makes 41 days of Lent) and defies common sense, but a written prohibition (if it exists) is what I need.

Thanks.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If your Diocese monitors bulletins, they will call the parish if they see it advertised and forbid it.

This happened in my previous Diocese.
  • Ash Wednesday, unlike Sundays or holy days, can NOT be anticipated the evening before. It is not a holy day of obligation (although our schedules certainly make it feel like one). If you can't get anywhere with your pastor on this, call your diocesan offices.
  • If you can't get anywhere with your pastor on this, call your diocesan offices.
    But be prepared to be on your parish's _______ list forever.
    The diocesan office is more interested in keeping your pastor happy than you...
  • chonakchonak
    If it's any help, at least one diocese expressly announced that the Ash Wednesday Mass may not be anticipated:
    http://www.orlandodiocese.org/images/stories/ministries_offices/liturgy_music/lentEasterAdvisory2015.pdf

Make that two:
    http://www2.richmonddiocese.org/worship/docs/Guidelines for Lent and Easter 2014.pdf

Also, Salieri, it might be useful to look at the ordo booklet for your diocese. On the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, of course, it will not show any option for an anticipated Mass.

• SalieriSalieri
    Thanks, everyone for your help. And here it is straight from the USCCB, posted here for posterity:

Dear Mr. Gaida,

Thank you for your inquiry concerning an anticipatory Mass for Ash Wednesday celebrated the evening before. Anticipatory vigils are celebrated for Sundays and other solemnities. Ash Wednesday, on the other hand, is not a solemnity or a feast, or even a Holy Day of Obligation, but a day of penance marking the beginning of Lent. There has never been any provision for the celebration of Ash Wednesday on Tuesday evening.

I hope this information helps!

Fr. Mike

Fr. Michael J. Flynn
    Secretariat of Divine Worship
    U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops
  • matthewjmatthewj
    NOW WE ALL KNOW YOUR SECRET IDENTITY
    Thanked by 2CharlesW irishtenor