Descant for God of Mercy and Compassion
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Does anyone know where I might find the descant featured in this recording of this Lenten hymn? I found an arrangement here and a very nice descant here, but it's not quite as thrilling as this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4W_CLRW9Lo
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    This particular recording of God of Mercy and Compassion that you found on YouTube was done by the Schola Cantorum of the Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School in London, directed by Charles Cole. It is included on a CD that may be purchased from the school entitled, "Praise to the Holiest." The CD's accompanying booklet states that the descant for God of Mercy and Compassion is also by Charles Cole, so you may be able to contact him at the school.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Wonderful! Thanks so much for the info. I've just ordered the CD from the school in London and will try to get in touch with Mr. Cole.
  • canadashcanadash
    What a wonderful hymn!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • chonakchonak
    Julie, Charles writes for the "New Liturgical Movement" site, so you can find an e-mail address for him there.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That's where I've seen his name! Thanks, Chonak. I just found out that my sister and brother-in-law live a mile or two from Cardinal Vaughan High School in London. If we ever visit, it will be such fun going to all the marvelous musical venues there.