• dad29
    Recently, a priest mentioned that he'd like an "organ Mass." The request was specifically for the Gregorian Rite (EF/Tridentine) Mass held at that parish.

Despite my superannuation, I cannot recall anything of the sort being used in this Diocese, although Reger (and a lot of others) have written suites which have parts named after parts of the Mass.

Anyone here know what that's all about?
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • GavinGavin
    Couperin or the French/Italian school, I'd assume. It was a low Mass with organ music used throughout. Depending on how you read documents, it may or may not be licit.
  • dad29
    "Throughout" meaning?

Playing almost continuously? I would think that is at least frowned upon, if not strictly illicit.
  • marajoymarajoy
    so what's up with all those French Masses with the whole "Elevatión" section?
    hmmm...
    licit or not, (as an organist,) I think it sounds pretty fun to do someday!
    (I asked Fr. Scott Haynes this question once, and he called it the "French Organ Mass," apparently the practice of playing the organ through the WHOLE Mass was a common occurrence, but he made no comment on the licitness of it.)
  • GavinGavin
    The elevation is the music played after the consecration, I think. There is to be no music of any sort from the beginning of the words of institution until after the elevation of the Blood, so it would obviously go after that.

The playing was not "continuous" but used where the parts of the Mass are roughly. Again, it's Low Mass, the music need not have anything to do with the liturgy whatsoever. You can sing "Happy Birthday" while banging on a tamborine, and if no one's knees collapse from kneeling through the whole thing, you're good.

It's my understanding that "Tra le" forbade, among almost anything else good, the use of the French organ Mass. Hence why I pretend that document was never released; I like having women in choirs.
  • dad29
    It is certain that playing during the Elevation of the Host/Chalice is forbidden; I found that explicitly mentioned in Tra le Sollicitudine.

As to playing through the rest of the Mass---hmmmm. Certainly not during the Gospel, which is spoken! Nor the Epistle, same reason.

I think one certainly could play during the Offertory, and perhaps during the (non-elevation) Canon, and the Commnunion.

But to play throughout? Strikes me as gilding a lily and, to some extent, almost 'pushy' on the part of the organist.
  • dad29
    However, there are times when the organist should play, loudly--like at the 20-minute mark in a sermon.

No?
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • marajoymarajoy
    well, it gets kind of boring sitting in the congregation sometimes! (gotta have that organ to listen to!) ;-)
  • GavinGavin
    For a quick overview of the "Organ Mass", which should suffice until someone better informed comes along:

It is a suite of music designed to be played during Mass. It would alternate with the singing of the choir on the ordinary, ie. Kyrie - couplet - Kyrie - couplet - Christe - couplet - Kyrie - couplet - Kyrie. It included the movements (brackets indicate movements not present in all traditions) [introit] Kyrie Gloria [post-epistle] [Credo] Offertory Sanctus Elevation Agnus Dei [Communion] [Deo Gracias]. This was especially common in the French and Italian Baroque, but examples exist in even the late French Romantic period (Vierne's Messe Basse). This would conflict with the liturgical reforms of the early 20th century (not to be confused with Bugnini's work) which asked parishes to favor a "dialog" style of Mass where the congregation recites the responses with the servers. And at High Mass, the proper texts (of both the proper and ordinary) must be sung, so that too excludes the Organ Mass.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • kevinfkevinf
    The"organ Mass" is France went a variety of ways, depending on the time. Gavin is correct about the question in terms of Baroque France. The 19th and 20th century French organ masses looked quite differently. In 19th century Paris, the organist was understood to play from the beginning until the elevation, be silent for a moment and pick back up until the dismissal. These were low masses. Variations could be found.
    The 20th century Parisian organ masses looked similar, but there were some differences. Tournemire notes that at St. Clotilde, the organ mass consisted of brief moments of music. ( please,do not confuse this with l"orgue Mystique, which is another matter.) At St. Sulpice, the organ played continuosly, according to Dupre and Widor. At other places, the practice varied about how much and when to stop. Andre Marchal's daughter, Jeannene Englert talked about the organ mass at St. Eustache being a recital almost.
    I suspect the practice cannot be typical as there was a great deal of variance. Kind of like now. ;)

Kevin (who loves and plays LOrgue Mystique whenever possible and wishes for the day my schola can the sing the Gregorian propers to go with the pieces.)
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • dad29
    Thank you all for the responses. I did some homework, too; here's what Pius XII had to say about it (9/3/58 Instruction, Para. 29):

"Furthermore, it should be noted that if there is the practice in some places of playing the organ during a read Mass, and if, after stopping this practice, the faithful would participate either with common prayers or with singing, then it is necessary to disapprove the uninterrupted playing of the organ.....Such instruments must therefore remain silent: a) After the priest celebrant has reached the altar until the Offertory; b) From the first veses before the Preface up to and including the Sanctus; c) Where the custom exists, from the Consecration up to the Pater Noster; d) from the Lord's prayer up to the Agnus Dei inclusive; during the Confiteor before the people's Communion; while the Post-communion prayer is being said; and while the Blessing is being given at the end of the Mass."

That means that the only remaining approved places are 1) during the Offertory, 2) between the Sanctus and Elevation, and 3) during the Communion of the faithful.

This is legislation, not opinion, of the Pope.
  • CharlesW
    Since some of my section leaders were absent today, I would have liked to bring back organ masses. But I would have also liked to strangle a couple of choir members, so it's sin if I play throughout the mass, it's sin if I kill someone. What's the difference, right? ;-)
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Frescobaldi also wrote organ Masses for Venice, so it's not just French. His elevation sonatas are wonderful. It's such a wonderful tradition to have instrumental music for a short period to ponder the miracle.
  • CharlesW
    I agree. It's largely forgotten today that the organs were consecrated voices that spoke during liturgy. They were another voice in addition to the human voices that praised God during the mass. And you are correct, it wasn't just the French who had organ masses.
  • dad29
    so it's sin if I play throughout the mass, it's sin if I kill someone

I think it's a lesser sin to strangle a "crow" singer than to play during the Elevation. Just an opinion, not informed by Moral Theo 101, or anything...
  • GavinGavin
    I'm with Dad29 on this. If the victim is off by less than a half step, it's a mortal sin. More and it's only venial.
  • CharlesW
    So true. But you do realize we easterners don't accept mortal and venial distinctions. That's too scholastic for us. Sin is sin. :-)
  • eft94530eft94530
    Organists and Organ Playing in Nineteenth-century France and Belgium
    by Orpha Ochse

http://www.ohscatalog.org/ocororplayin1.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=d54n2z_oFmgC

Page 131 (hand-typed)

Rare examples of late-nineteenth-century French organ Masses are found in
    the works of Fernand de La Tombelle. Books I and II of his
    Interludes dans la tonalite gregorienne et harmonisation des versets pour les messes en usage
    (Schola Cantorum, [1897?])
    each contain the music for one Mass, including
    the chant (harmonized for four-voice choir) for the Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus,
    Agnus, and Ite Missa Est, as well as organ versets. As the title suggests, the
    organ versets are modal. They differ further from earlier versets in that they are
    accompanied by optional intonations of the texts, to be sung by a single voice
    while the organ versets are being played. The intonations are in free rhythm,
    independent of the rhythm of the versets.

Page 139 (hand-typed)

The organ Masses of Fernand de La Tombelle (see above, p.131) illustrate
    the conscious effort some church musicians were making late in the century to
    unify the service. Not only are the versets modal but many are based on the
    chant or on motives derived from it.

http://www.musimem.com/tombelle.htm
    Fernand de la Tombelle (1854-1928)
    at La Madeleine
    organ assistant to Theodore Dubois
  • CharlesW
    The music for many of the French organ masses is really beautiful. I find parts of those compositions useful to play at non-singing/reading times during the mass. I know the concept behind these masses was understood in France, but does seem foreign to us in the U.S. However, I do have an organ stop, lovingly referred to as the "mixture horribilis III" that works well to drown out noxious singing. When needed, I can create my own "organ mass" with it.
    ;-)
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • eft94530eft94530
    http://hdl.handle.net/1802/4918
    https://urresearch.rochester.edu/handle/1802/4918

Deux Livres d’Orgue
    parus chez Pierre Attaingnant
    en 1531
    transcrits et
    publies avec une introduction
    par Yvonne Rokseth

Messe "Kyrie fons"
    Messe "Cunctipotens"
    Magnificat sur les huit tons
    Te Deum laudamus
    deux preludes
  • LorenCarle
    Dear all,

Listening to John Grew's fine recording available on the Naxos Library (Atma Label) of de Grigny's organ book, which contains versets for both Mass (Mass IV Cunctipotens-feasts of Apostles, Gr. Triplum p. 725) and principal office hymns (Veni creator, Pange lingua (only enough verses for Tantum ergo, interestingly), Verbum supernum, and Ave maris stella), and a lengthy Offertory.

What no one seems to have mentioned is that liturgical organ verses were played in place of alternate verses of Ordinary chants when there was no polyphonic vocal music (eg, Kyire I, III, Christe II, Kyire IV, VI, Et in terra, Benedicimus te, etc). Either played or sung, "alternatim" liturgical music was a widespread practice that significantly predated the Council of Trent (to understate it more than a little!). This was true as much for the Magnificat and Office Hymns, Te Deum, etc. A modern performance at N.D. de Paris of an Alternatim Te Deum can be found at : https://youtu.be/ohDqL6pjpjY

It seems like books like de Grigny's, Couperin's 2, Nivers, the Montréal Organ Book, etc. potentially provided music for masses and offices in the calendar when a polyphonic choir was less likely to be present, but some measure of solemnity and festivity was desired nonetheless. The style of writing also frequently mimics vocal polyphony. Most of the time, this organ music was improvised, hence the wealth of 16th and 17th c. treatises devoted to improvising polyphony at the organ. It allows the "hearing" of Mass to make more sense.

Elevation pieces make more sense remembering that the Elevation served for the minimum obligatory attendance at Mass for hundreds of years, and was held as a moment of talismanic awe by all strata of laity. It's also where I understand we get the term "hocus pocus" from—Hoc est corpus meus.

It would be an interesting feat of rubrical acrobatics to recocile alternatim organ playing with Vatican II's "full comprehension" or however it's worded. Worth doing though, even if all you get to do is pause the CD and sing the verses yourself in between.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • JesJes
    I recommend using any of the COUPERIN masses.

I do this sort of thing all the time.

You will need to probably have some spare music if they don't do low organ masses all that often because servers will take longer than expected, also expect to not use very much music if they are regulars at low masses because they will probably move through much faster than the music was originally designed for. You may also use a hymn at the end to consider that choice.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    SEVEN YEARS
  • MatthewRoth
    That being said, it jives with the discussion we had on the elevation piece being played somewhere that wasn’t the Canon. I kinda say, “Eh” to some of the restrictions in De musica sacra. They violate longstanding practice as far as organ Masses go. There should be some restrictions, but I wonder if DMS goes too far.
    Thanked by 3Ben ronkrisman CharlesW
  • ronkrisman
    'Tis seven long years since last I...
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Adam Wood
  • BruceL
    I think this is a great bump, though!

Also, this

It seems like books like de Grigny's, Couperin's 2, Nivers, the Montréal Organ Book, etc. potentially provided music for masses and offices in the calendar when a polyphonic choir was less likely to be present, but some measure of solemnity and festivity was desired nonetheless. The style of writing also frequently mimics vocal polyphony. Most of the time, this organ music was improvised, hence the wealth of 16th and 17th c. treatises devoted to improvising polyphony at the organ. It allows the "hearing" of Mass to make more sense.

from above is exactly right from what I remember. You would omit the text. This has not been licit since Tra le sollecitudini, but was very widespread in Francophone places before.
  • So... Seven Years Later...
    Dad29, did you find out exactly what the priest had in mind? What was the result?
  • advocatusadvocatus
    Mary Catherine Levri, are you catching all of this? I hope you might clear up some of the confusion in your forthcoming DMA document!

In the meantime, I think there is a distinction waiting to be made between the use of the organ in alternatim with chant or polyphony during a High or Solemn Mass, and the 19th- and 20-century Low Mass with organ. A modern request for an "Organ Mass" would be met not with the 19th-century practice of almost continuous organ playing, but with shorter liturgical suites for Low Mass a la Langlais, Messiaen, Heiller, and the like. Incidentally, the original organ solo version of the Kodaly Missa Brevis was composed for this very purpose (Kodaly supposedly timing a Low Mass to get the length of the movements right,)

Fascinating post; stay tuned for Mary Catherine's contribution to the discussion.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • dad29
    The priest in question was a native of France; he had a number of other ideas about the organ--like, for instance, that the organ should play (near-) continuously: as a prelude to the sermon, during the entire Canon (except the Consecration) and throughout the communion of the faithful, stopping only for the Last Blessing. (EF Mass)

He was also of the opinion that the 1962 Rite was not ancient enough; he preferred the pre-Pius XII Holy Week rituals. He also made his own 'calls' on what Mass would be said on a Sunday, substituting (e.g.) the church's saint's name-day Mass (& Propers) for the Sunday's Propers--usually 2-3 days before the Sunday in question.

He was, in short, the anti-Weakland Weaklandite, making up the rules as he went along.
  • BruceL
    OH NO DON'T INVITE HER IN HERE, advocatus!!!!!
  • MatthewRoth
    Purple, Bruce?

Dad29, the difference is, he has tradition on his side, though the propers should be arranged well in advance. I really can’t argue with his view on the organ...
  • dad29
    Well, I'll take the side of the Popes who ruled that out of bounds.

By the way, the "tradition" in France is not the "tradition" in the USA. So happens that the Diocese was a law-abiding one--and he was out of line with his request(s) re the organ.

Further, unless one has specific permission from the Ordinary, one does not transfer feasts to a Sunday. Cannot be (licitly) done. Again--that may be fine and dandy in France, but not here.
  • One wonders how the organ went from support and decoration during mass to soundtrack during mass. Guess it depends on one's idea of what constitutes support and decoration.
    There are beautiful (small "t") traditions that crept their way into larger practice and still ended up being illicit. Nothing new there.

Personally, I'm grateful for the chance to review this topic and have access to more examples of scores. I'd love to see more of them and hear the compositions in a concert setting. I bet there's a lot of gloriousness.
  • MatthewRoth
    Yes, well, popes aren’t known for having a keen sense of the limits of positive law. :P
  • I've been wondering what I can say that would be useful in this thread. The following may be, at least to some. The 'organ mass' is not a thing, but several different things that have been predominant, not only in Frankreich, but elsewhere, for quite a few centuries (as far back as the mid- XVth century, if not the late XIVth) up until very recent times. The baroque organ mass, as exemplified by Couperin and de Grigny, who were the flower of the French baroque organ school, was typified by alternation between choir and organ in, basically, an antiphonal idiom. (Many here, of course, will already have known these things.) Instead of verse by verse plainchant vs. choral polyphony, it was chant vs. organ versets. In earlier times the versets either quoted or were based motivically on the plainchant. In later times the sacred melos was less and less a feature of the organ versets. Though there is much literature about this practice, and considerable detail and legislation about it in various contemporary customaries, I still have but a vague notion of how this 'played out' in an actual mass or office. A gloria could well take twenty minutes by Couperin's time, as could a magnificat or benedictus. Did the ritual action continue whilst these alternatim parts of mass and office were performed simulataneously? Or did it wait? Perhaps someone here can clear this up? For this, the 'early' organ mass, the parts of the mass treated to alternatim performance were the ordinary, plus an offertoire. For the office, the canticles for matins and vespers, and, often, the office hymns, were treated to this method of performance.

This early 'organ mass' was quite a different species from that of the late XIXth and early XXth centuries. Here, there is no alternation of chant or ritual text vs. organ, but pure organ pieces labeled introit, offertoire, elevation, sortie, etc., which were played over the ritual action as it unfolded. The best of these, such as those of the semi-mystic Tournemire (which are, indeed, amongst the most inspired of all organ literature), were based motivically on the plainchant propers. The worst of them are organ pieces with no relation to cantus firmus, and vary greatly in their aptness to accompany the sacred ritual action of the mass.

Neither of the above species of 'organ mass' could in any way be compatible with the theology and ideal praxis of the mass as (wisely, I should say!) was envisioned by the IInd Vatican Council. It would, for some of us, be enlightening, and, possibly, even spiritually rewarding to 're-enact' such an 'organ mass' of either or both species, but one could not with any acuity contemplate reviving such a mass for congregations of our time.

The pieces contained in the baroque and early XXth century varieties of organ mass are, to be sure, useful (and apt) for to grace our modern masses at those times at which the organ might reasonably ornament moments of lull in the ritual action. Indeed, many of these pieces are highly appropriate for such use, and, as well, for voluntaries and ludes. But, given our truer theology of the mass, and our enlightened understanding of the inalienable manner of participation by the various orders of persons, clerks, choir, schola, cantor, people, which is essential to the proper celebration of the Sacred Mysteries, one could hardly envision playing them in that manner originally conceived for them.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    The action probably took long enough for the organist and choir to play and sing, at least in a cathedral with many altars and levels of incensation during the major hours at the Gospel canticle.
  • CharlesW
    There was a time, once upon a time, when there was no hurry to finish the mass and rush to do things on Sundays that are inherently non-sacred and non-spiritual. Fancy that! I heard from a Jewish friend that it is his family's custom to pray four hours on their Sabbath. Can you imagine?

I suspect playing chant-based organ settings during low masses was not any worse or better than the congregation absorbed in their rosaries. Those of us old enough remember that well. French organ masses reflect a different time, culture, and place not influenced by American Irish practices. As for the beautiful music in those organ masses, it is still worthy of use and beats the "H" out of what is heard in too many American parishes.
  • dad29
    "Neither of the above species of 'organ mass' could in any way be compatible with the theology and ideal praxis of the mass as (wisely, I should say!) was envisioned by the IInd Vatican Council." [Seems that the <> functions above do not work.]

Well, yes; and a lot of that "VII" stuff was foreshadowed by the reforms of Pius X and Pius XII; thus the prohibitions they issued.
  • CharlesW
    "Well, yes; and a lot of that "VII" stuff was foreshadowed by the reforms of Pius X and Pius XII; thus the prohibitions they issued."

That is the consequence of change, no matter how well intentioned. If you mess with it in the first place, it becomes easier for someone else down the road to do the same.
  • BruceL
    Yes, very purple. MC is a lovely person!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That is the consequence of change, no matter how well intentioned. If you mess with it in the first place, it becomes easier for someone else down the road to do the same.

Change is inevitable. It can either be accidental or purposeful, positive or negative. Prayer, theological reflection, and a respect for both the tradition and the needs of contemporary people are more useful than rules of thumb.
  • CharlesW
    Ah, but that is what is often behind the changes. A lack of respect for tradition.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Charles... you are sounding like a traddie. Lol
  • CharlesW
    "Charles... you are sounding like a traddie. Lol "

Worse than that, Byzantine. We are not fond of change in things liturgical.

I have to add that liturgical changes in the east such as those that happened with the Novus Ordo of Paul VI, would have created a revolt not seen since the French Revolution. Bishops would have been dragged through the streets or worse. I never understood why Latins put up with so much, but the way the papacy is set up, there are no checks and balances on abuse of authority. You need patriarchs. They can always be run out of town. LOL.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • I do, and do so sincerely, appreciate Charles' estimation of the abuses of power in 'the West' as opposed to 'the East'. The West, with varying degrees of success, saw the Church in centuries of struggle to free itself of secular control, from the very imperial entanglements which it gladly profited from from Constantine's time on, from royal and baronial investiture and such, add to that a mountain of spiritual and political corruption which were directly responsible for the Reformation, has finally (except for our modern example of troubles regarding China's State Catholic Church - a rather Byzantine phenomenon!) freed itself from secular powers and strives (with varying success) to be a purely spiritual entity, though it does not shrink from making its rightful voice heard in the political arena. The East, on the other hand, while one grants the plusses of Charles' argument, has consistently from classical times till now cozied up with emperor and state. It has done this with both basileus and tsar, and even, when 'profitable', with sultan, and continues this tradition of being an arm of the state (a rather Church of Englandish phenomenon) with modern rulers such as the Russian de facto tsar and others. Charles could likely enumerate better than any of us just how often doctrine was decided upon by caesar. So, it seems to me that neither east nor west can emerge from church-state relations, or sacred-secular interests, with anywhere near a four point average.
  • CharlesW
    Doctrine was decided by Caesar in the west, as well, before the fall of Rome. Don't think for a moment that Constantine didn't let the Council of Nicaea know what he wanted the council to accomplish. The early popes had spiritual authority, but little political authority. In terms of power, the head of state and the church was the emperor. After the fall of Rome with no emperor in the west, the popes stepped into the secular role as head of state. The east was aligned along the earlier model where the church was an arm of the state. Today, the eastern church is stronger in some places such as Russia, but pushed into near oblivion by the Muslims in others. Our good fortune liturgically in the east, is that no individual has the authority to tamper with the liturgy. We no longer have an emperor, either.
  • Salient points, Charles.
    True, everything you say about the early Church in the west. Indeed, for how many centuries did The Church base its political legitimacy on the forged 'donation of Constantine'? When the imperium withered away the situation was, as you underline, quite different, even unique. The post-classical Holy Roman emperors in the west, and, later, the emergent kings, were envisioned and blessed by the Church as secular powers which would defend the Church, protect it. These rulers all gladly accepted the blessing of the Church as a sign of their own legitimacy - and, coveted Romanitas. As history unfolded this tacit relationship came more and more unraveled until the secular powers were in the political ascendancy. This unravelment was legitimised in 1648 when, at Thirty Year's War's end, all agreed that the religious affiliation of a populace, within political boundaries, would be that of the ruler who, to greater and lesser degrees, believed what he or she believed because it was in his or her political and dynastic interests. Further, even in Catholic lands, the Church was not an unhindered victor. Louis XIV famously held Rome in contempt and championed the Gallicanism and anti-Roman sentiment which was rampant in his lands. The Kings of Spain (of all places) made it clear that they could go the way of England unless they were granted generous privileges. Then there were the rapacious Josephine reforms in Habsburg lands. And, so it was elsewhere. It might be put forth that the Catholic Church has not emerged scot free of the state until the last century, when the last vestiges of ancien regimes were booted out (thanks largely to that pompous Presbyterian twit, Woodrow Wilson). As for the east today? I doubt that anyone is in any doubt that Metropolitan Kiril wouldn't think of offending his 'tsar'. And elsewhere, they 'don't rock the boat'.

A Postscript to the above -
    Not even now is the Church (Catholic or otherwise) scot free of varying degrees of control or freedom in large parts even of 'the West', the 'Free World'. The official 'secularism' of the French state staunchly and aggressively limits the freedom with which religious persons (of any faith) can publicly express their faith. The same is true of 'Catholic' Mexico and other parts of the Spanish world. In England, ironically, the Catholic Church (I think) is rather a free agent, but the state church is now nothing more than an agent of Westminster, which demanded and finally got priestesses and bishopenes. In our own country we daily are confronted with state interference in the free exercise of religion, particularly in medical, parental, and pro-creative matters. Where, one might ask, is there a land which affords the absolute freedom of expression of religious people? Is there such? It is the Church, really, which birthed Western civilisation, nurtured it intellectually and morally, once was the sign of state legitimacy, and which now is being shoved aside, disowned, like an embarrassing relation. We of the West are the only civilisation in history which has deliberately and with a vengeance committed institutional, moral, and intellectual suicide.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • eft94530eft94530
    http://imslp.org/wiki/6_Messes_faciles_pour_l'orgue_(Fétis,_François-Joseph)

Francois-Joseph Fetis (1784-1871)
    Messe N. 6 faciles pour l'orgue (1840)
    Messe des dimanches et doubles du temps de Paques
    KYRIE
    1. Kyrie 1 (organ Intro)
    2. Kyrie 2 (chant)
    3. Kyrie 3 (organ Verset 1)
    4. Christe 1 (chant)
    5. Christe 2 (organ Verset 2)
    6. Christe 3 (chant)
    7. Kyrie 1 (organ Verset 3)
    8. Kyrie 2 (chant)
    9. Kyrie 3 (organ Conclusion)

GLORIA
    1. Gloria in excelsis Deo (chant)
    2. Et in terra pax (organ Verset 1)
    3. Laudamus te (chant)
    4. Benedicimus te (organ Verset 2)
    5. Adoramus te (chant)
    6. Glorificamus te (organ Verset 3)
    7. Gratias agimus tibi (chant)
    8. Domine Deus, Rex caelestis (organ Verset 4)
    9. Domine Fili (chant)
    10. Domine Deus, Agnus Dei (organ Verset 5)
    11. Qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere (chant)
    12. Qui tollis peccata mundi, suscipe (organ Verset 6)
    13. Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris (chant)
    14. Quoniam tu solus sanctus (organ Verset 7)
    15. Tu solus Dominus (chant)
    16. Tu solus altissimus (organ Verset 8)
    17. Cum Sancto Spiritu (chant)
    18. Amen (organ Conclusion)

SANCTUS
    1. Sanctus (organ Intonation)
    2. Sanctus (chant)
    3. Sanctus Dominus (organ Verset 1)
    4. Pleni sunt caeli (chant)
    5. [Benedictus] (organ Verset pour l'elevation)

AGNUS DEI
    1. Agnus Dei, ... miserere nobis (organ Introduction)
    2. Agnus Dei, ... miserere nobis (chant)
    3. Agnus Dei, ... dona nobis pacem (organ Conclusion)
  • eft94530eft94530
    http://imslp.org/wiki/Requiem_für_die_Orgel,_S.266_(Liszt,_Franz)

Franz Liszt (1811-1886)
    Requiem für die Orgel (S.266) (1883)
    1. Requiem
    2. Dies Irae
    3. Recordare Pie Jesu!
    4. Sanctus
    5. Benedictus
    6. Agnus dei
    7. Postludium
  • Thanks for the above, eft -

I have never done any Fetis, and should probably remedy that. The real trouble with these late examples of the early form of the organ mass is that they are increasingly vacant of reference to cantus firmus, and are, largely, mirrors of secular forms and styles. But then, the same can be said of some of the greats of the French baroque and rococo, LeBegue, for instance, to name only one. Many of his versets, representative of those of others, are actually dance forms and tedious virtuosic tours de force for basse de trompette, bloated dialogues, and such. After (and even before) Couperin and de Grigny organ masses became less and less truly liturgically and chant referenced. None after de Grigny left us such sublime four and five voice fugues whose subjects are fragments of the cantus firmus, or pleins jeux which present the cantus firmus straight through, or recits and duos of impeccable taste which, likewise, are drawn motivically from the chant melos. De Grigny (who died at the age of 31!) in some ways is a superior master to Couperin, but between them they are the giants, some would argue the only giants, of the French organ mass or alternatim practice from Titelouze the Great (earlier in the 16 hundreds), whose marvelously learned style, though not void of forward-looking aspects, was in thrall to what remained of the Franco-Flemish polyphonic heritage, to Tournemire (teacher of Langlais and Messiaen) in the early 19 hundreds - and, of course, Tournemire's organ mass was not the alternatim organ mass of earlier times.

CHONAK -
    (Something is wrong with this thread - the italic mode, etc., does not function.)
    (Also, something is 'correcting' my spelling that I don't want 'corrected' and I have to go back and 're-correct' it.)

Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CharlesW
    I have been having difficulty with block quote, on and off, for a couple of days. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does nothing.

Jackson, I often use parts of the Andre Raison organ masses. Raison is not as appreciated as I think he deserves to be.

I am not familiar with Fetis. Will look into his works.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn