Ordinations during Lent
  • kevinfkevinf
    I received today information that there would be a diaconal ordination in my parish during Lent (March 7 to be exact). The esteemed worship office in my diocese noted in their communications to me that the use of instrumental music or instruments during Lent is abrogated for ordinations.

Making a quick cursory look at the rite of ordination , I cannot find anything that supports their statement. The organ goes silent during Lent in my place. I don't mind playing but I am not certain of their statement. BTW, the ordinand was as surprised as I was at this statement.

I would appreciate any help. I had planned on taking a break from here, but this question forced me out from my meditative rock.

From the bourbon lands,
    Kevin
  • Liam
    I assume you are referring to the use of organ as a solo instrument, rather that organ to support singing, which is clearly permitted in Lent in the OF. An ordination would be considered a "special celebration of a more solemn character" where a Gloria would be sung even in Lent, as with feasts and solemnities in Lent. While the organ rubric is not as clear, as a practical matter it's an interpretive matter that a bishop can legislate absent express contrary ruling from Rome... In other words, it's not worth getting upset about.

Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • BenBen
    I think for an ordination, even during lent, it's rather appropriate to even pull out a full orchestra. I would personally suggest variations on the following piece I found... you could even write your own arrangements and use variations throughout the Mass, perhaps even under the chants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7UK-6aaNA
  • Especially since it's not on Sunday (where the Sunday Mass would take precedence), I think Liam and your diocesan worship office might be right regarding organ/instrumental music. The Ritual Mass for Ordination in the current Roman Missal certainly appears akin to a feast day (Gloria sung, etc.). I'd avoid anything too flamboyant, but in this particular case I'm not sure I see anything particularly wrong with having organ music at the ordination.