• chonakchonak
    A foundation based in Spain has asked us to inform readers about their composition prize. Instructions for potential participants are in the PDF document attached below.
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    The specified text is a variant of the Ave Maria I have not seen before. Any opinions?

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum; benedicta
    tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus.
    Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, ut
    sancti simus. Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto.
  • chonakchonak
    I haven't seen it either, and a Google search turns up no other uses of that modification.

Also, it is puzzling to see the "Gloria Patri..." without the "sicut erat..."
  • Kathy
    Maybe the rewrite provides a partial line to rhyme with peccatoribus?
  • Any idea about the use of simus at the end? When I looked that up, I found that it means "splayed, flattened," but that doesn't make sense. Is there a second meaning?
  • Kathy
    simus V 5 1 PRES ACTIVE SUB 1 P
    sum, esse, fui, futurus V [XXXAX]
    to be, exist; also used to form verb perfect passive tenses with NOM PERF PPL
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Thank you, Kathy, so would an appropriate translation of the end be "... And pray for us sinners, to make us holy (that we may be made holy)?"
  • stulte
    Looks interesting. Too bad they want it to be with an orchestra and not just A Capella...
  • francis
    wow. that is 6k for the prize. i have never seen a composition competition pay out that much.
  • "That we may be holy".

I guess the instituto has its own version of the rosary: http://www.idente.org/index.php/quienessomos/trisagio-de-maria-y-jose
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • He who pays the piper gets to choose the tune and the words...
    Thanked by 2francis Ben
  • The Gloria Patri, without Sicut erat, would suggest a Responsory, perhaps.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen chonak
  • wow. that is 6k for the prize. i have never seen a composition competition pay out that much.

Can we see their bank statement?
  • francis
    i don't know, but i will write the music in gold ink if they want.