Monday Morning Quarterbacking: Christmas Edition
  • Kathy
    Sorry, Dallas fans. But this is a thread for anyone who might want to say what worked and what didn't, what is worth doing again and what was memorable, and generally what strides were made this year on the way to that ever-elusive championship goal, the Perfect Christmas Season.
  • What worked: having the children's "choir" sing as trebles with the adult choir during the Mass. Great success.

What didn't: the clapping after Fr. thanked the musicians for their service and dedication.
    Thanked by 2Kathy MatthewRoth
  • What worked: using the carol medleys the large community choir used for the symphony concert, greatly reduced anxiety about preparing/rehearsing.

What didn't: playing a nice arrangement of the pastorale from Handel's messiah while the congregation formed a circle for the candle lighting and the pastor kept talking through the entire thing. Wasn't my idea but it could have been nice if anyone cared...He also neglected to cue me for the Advent candle music (Advent arrangement of Christ be our Light) and proceeded to just recite the text instead. Thankfully it only happened at the 4:00 service, and only because the choir director was not there because she had to direct another group at her home church.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • What worked: Extending the prelude program for Midnight Mass, to 35 minutes.

What didn't: Since I had children's choir practice on the Saturday morning before Christmas, I figured that I would pull an all-nighter at church on Friday, practicing the organ and working out registration changes for the Midnight Mass, rather than do the 40-minute drive home. I came prepared with a comforter, 2 pillows, and an alarm clock. Unable to get comfortable on the hard, narrow pew in the loft, I lay down on the floor at the top of the loft stairs. It was cold in the church, so I pulled the comforter over my head. My mistake was that I did not plug in my alarm clock, which was supposed to wake me up in time to clear out of there at 5AM. I was awakened by noise at 8AM, and when I pulled the blanket off my head, saw that all the lights in the church were on, and there were people in the choir loft, including the organist for the Novus Ordo Mass, who was flustered. I felt like a bleary-eyed camper who had slept horribly, on a hard tent floor, and awoke with teeth unbrushed and hair sticking up on end. Yup, it was humiliating.
  • SalieriSalieri
    the Perfect Christmas Season.

This, for me, would require vacationing from St. Andrew's Day until the Octave of the Epiphany in England, travelling between London, Oxford, and Cambridge, taking in the sights and sounds without any responsibility for the preparation and performing of the Music, and without being the object of a million old dears declaring that I 'did not play their favourite carols'. It will, most likely, never happen.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo Kathy
  • Since I had children's choir practice on the Saturday morning before Christmas, I figured that I would pull an all-nighter at church on Friday, practicing the organ and working out registration changes for the Midnight Mass, rather than do the 40-minute drive home. I came prepared with a comforter, 2 pillows, and an alarm clock. Unable to get comfortable on the hard, narrow pew in the loft, I lay down on the floor at the top of the loft stairs. It was cold in the church, so I pulled the comforter over my head. My mistake was that I did not plug in my alarm clock, which was supposed to wake me up in time to clear out of there at 5AM. I was awakened by noise at 8AM, and when I pulled the blanket off my head, saw that all the lights in the church were on, and there were people in the choir loft, including the organist for the Novus Ordo Mass, who was flustered. I felt like a bleary-eyed camper who had slept horribly, on a hard tent floor, and awoke with teeth unbrushed and hair sticking up on end. Yup, it was humiliating.

You did all THAT to avoid a 40 minute drive? I would have known I'd never get good sleep like that.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Kathy
    Having the comforter pulled over your head is the best part. Except that having the Mass basically wake you up is really the best part!
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • canadashcanadash
    What didn't: In the Canadian "Catholic Book of Worship" the refrain for the psalm on Christmas morning is by Michael Joncas. I don't know why, but I haven't gotten around to finding another setting or using the Graduale or something else. This will be the first thing on the to-change list for next year. Suggestions are welcome.

What did: The trumpet on Christmas morning was bright and celebratory. I appreciated that my choir came out in full force for all of the Masses of the Christmas season. Our newly ordained associate sang the gospel for the Epiphany and he was most excellent.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen