Music director prefers to use her own subs when I have to miss-Thoughts?
  • I had an unusual circumstance this week and needed a sub for the Wednesday rehearsal, as I will be away that evening for a rehearsal of The Nutcracker. I'm contracted with the orchestra giving the production and missing any rehearsals with this ensemble for any reason is a sure way to get fired. So I put the word out to those I know with professional piano experience and/or church accompanying experience. The director thanked me for taking initiative but ultimately ended up choosing her own sub for that night. She's done this before and I'm a little offended. I'm a twice-degreed professional musician with many other professional and competent contacts, and her apparent lack of trust bothers me. This sort of thing is unheard of in the rest of my musical career. If I get called for a quartet gig and later find I can't do it, it's up to me to find a replacement-not the person who organized the gig, and they definitely would not complain about who I chose to replace me unless they want to start a war. Sigh. Thoughts?
  • GavinGavin
    I've had that situation when working only as an organist. Seems more than fair to me. I'd rather not do the work of finding a sub.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm confused why you would be upset that someone else wants to do work that you otherwise would have to do.

Finding your own replacement is an act of professional courtesy, not a point of artistic prerogative.

It isn't a question of your judgement if the director has someone else they already know and are comfortable working with that they'd prefer sub in.
    Thanked by 3Gavin Ally Heath
  • To music directors, who are generally juggling a thousand balls in the air at once, I think reliability is at a very high premium. So if the music director can hire someone they already know, and are certain will be a reliable sub, it will make the most sense for the music director to hire that person, and move on to keeping the rest of the juggled balls in the air.

I wouldn't take it personally. At all. Conductors, music directors, personnel managers all deal with the same type of administrative headaches. And the best aspirin is reliability. I'd wager that's all that's going on.
  • I suppose this is true, but when she complains about some of these "reliable" subs and their abilities I have to wonder why she keeps using them. Apparently this is a normal thing, which is somewhat relieving...Just different from what I'm used to, and something that would be met with serious offense if done in the violin gig world. Live and learn...
  • And in many other jobs and especially when I was in university ensembles finding my own sub was mandatory unless I wanted to get in serious trouble or have my grade docked...So I suppose in that respect it's nice not to have to worry about it.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If I had a string quartet on a weekly basis and the cellist wanted to leave for a weekend, I'd want the cellist to find their sub.

If I had an organist and they wanted to leave for a rehearsal, I would want to find the sub (or more likely play for the rehearsal myself).
  • It's a great time to try someone out who they might be considering replacing you with...if you are (and I am sure you are not) one of the many organists posting raving complaints about their choir directors, priests, congregations on Facebook, thinking that they are invincible...they are not invincible but fireable.

If you hear choir members raving about how nice the replacement was and how well they played...it's time to take the DM out for a fine, expensive meal, with you picking up the tab!

In England it is common for players and singers to deputize - but knowing that if their replacement falls short their job is in jeopardy.
  • Yikes-well all the more reason to be glad I didn't choose a sub lol! I love the music director and I love the church and the congregation, so thankfully I have very little if anything to complain about. Glad I know how things go in the church music world now though lol!
  • @Matthew I can definitely understand that. But the usual subs are either the pastor's wife, the choir director's daughter, the retired organist/pianist I replaced, or a handful of others. Her daughter has her own choir to manage and isn't always available, the retired lady is primarily an organist and struggles with piano and prefers not to play it, that kind of stuff...So I felt bad leaving them high and dry this week especially with a rather difficult accompaniment for Sunday's choir anthem.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    something that would be met with serious offense if done in the violin gig world.
    Having put in a little time in the the cello gig world, I'm a bit mystified as to why anyone would take offense, or why a conductor or contractor would put up with having an unknown imposed upon them. Maybe this is a local tradition?
    I know few enough horn players that I once accepted the deputies of deputies for a Bach cantata with truly catastrophic results: a lesson learned.
  • In the big ensembles it's not usually an issue, as they schedule many months or a year ahead. I am a permanent sub in one orchestra only because I haven't taken the audition and because I've been with them for ten years now I know I always get called. It is I suppose a local phenomenon and the string playing community here is very small and most of us have known each other since high school and attended university together. As a result, it's easy to offend or step on someone's toes and egos are exceptionally fragile-and with the economy gigs are at a premium.