Commendable Liturgical Music Publications -
  • I attended a very fine vespers of Christ the King at Houston's Church of the Annunciation Sunday evening. Our friend, Felipe Gasper, is the new choirmaster there and treated us to some rare Catholic liturgical moments. There was quite a variety in the music, beautifully led by a guest professional choir of which Felipe is the director.

For an 'introit' was sung Weelkes' marvelous Alleluia, I heard a voice. The psalm CVL was in Latin to Anglican chant. This was all but stunning in pace, diction, and English nuance: one all but thought that he was attending evensong in Latin at Magdelene (pronounced 'Maudlin', if you please) College at Oxford. Magnificat was a seldom heard (or heard of!) polyphonic setting by J.J. Fux. (Felipe has a talent for presenting 'neglected' composers.) After the final Deo Gratias was sung 'Lo! he comes' to Helmsley, followed by an organ voluntary, Willan's prelude and fugue in c-minor. This latter was played on the currently-being-restored early XXth century Pilcher. The only jarring thing about this vespers was the continual changing to and from English this and Latin that. I must say, though, that the Latin psalm to Anglican chant was most scintillating. Try it!

So, what has this to do with 'Commendable Liturgical Music Publications', a general topic which we might want to explore as a break from the non-commendable things that often are deservedly excoriated here? Well, it is the hymnal which is being introduced at Annunciation. Many of you likely already know about this, and I am, admittedly, not really up on recent publications. The book to which I refer is an admittedly temporary one called Ignatius Pew Missal 2015. I would never commend to anyone any impermanent book, but knowing that many use such out of choice or necessity, I recommend this one to them because of some features that are, to my knowledge, unheard of in Catholic liturgical materials. The most daring thing it exhibits is a plethora of mass settings and hymnody, and responsories and alleluyas, all in chant notation. Several of the Gregorian masses are found here adapted to our new translation as well as in their original Latin form. The readings for Sundays and solemnities throughout the year are included, as are the responsorial psalms with their chant-like responsories in square notes. Hymnody? This is both a plus and a minus. There are only about two hundred-fifty or so hymns, but, except for a few surprising unfortunate ones, nearly all of them, texts and tunes, are exellent. The red and black layout is most pleasing and helpful. To me, it is most unhelpful that the hymns are arranged in alphabetical order of first line, rather than by season or feast. I find this an irritant. Most refreshing of all, though, is the profuse and unabashed presentation of chant notation for all plainchant ordinaries, hymns, alleluyas, and responsories, plus all the dialogues, etc. There are chant settings of all introits, psalms, alleluyas, and communion antiphons (while they were at it they should have provided the offertory antiphons as well!). It also has Willan's Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena adapted to the new Catholic translation.

I may be getting excited over something which most of you already know about, but thought it and the topic were worth discussion. There is, of course, the Vatican II Hymnal, and a few similar ones of which we are aware, but here is another one which should not be ignored... even if it does contain a bit of dross. Except for the fewer-than-needed number of hymns, one has to wonder with dropped jaw just what is the problem with the (names with held) publishers of our major hymnals!
  • We are pleased to have been engaged to engrave all the modern notation music for this excellent new worship book to their design specifications.

Doing this while also creating a what Melo quite succinctly calls a "boutique" hymnal for a parish and sorting through the music choices of both has been encouraging to us as to the future of music in today's church.

We highly recommend serious consideration of the Ignatius Press Pew Missal.
  • chonakchonak
    If they ask to recommend any chant engravers, this forum isn't a bad place to look for them.
  • The IPM is excellent. We're probably moving to it in my parish.
  • Thank you very much to Jackson for his kind words about the Vespers for Christ the King. :) It was a very gratifying experience on many levels, and we’re looking forward to offering more such services at Annunciation in Houston.

I reviewed the IPM on an earlier thread in this forum. Its inclusion of selections like “Here I Am, Lord” is an acknowledgement that any such resource that does not include some of such things will have a hard time appealing to “rank-and-file” Roman parishes. There are places like Annunciation that eschew Haugen/Haas/Joncas, SLJs, &c. entirely, but they are very much the exception; this is a simple pastoral reality.

Another fine resource I will mention is the Lumen Christi Hymnal, a permanent hymnal that offers yet more chant Mass settings as well as pretty much the entire LotH hymnary in (well-done) modern translations. There are also some very nice, distinct(-ish) inclusions such as “The royal banners forward go” to AGINCOURT. There is also nothing of the like of “On Eagle’s Wings”.

That being said, what swayed us, at least for this year, to IPM was a) cost and b) that it puts readings and hymns in the same book, so there’s no need to “manage” two books, as we would have with LCH. We may eventually move to a permanent hymnal, but for the time being IPM represents a great step forward for us, as I suspect it would for many a parish!
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Kathy
    Isn't AGINCOURT a wonderful tune?
  • Kathy,

Yes, it is. I didn't realize how beautiful it was (at first), in part because someone had set the tune for the text O Love, How Deep, How Broad, How High, which I have always sung to Deus Tuorum Militum. When I saw it properly attached to the Vexilla Regis, I had to reconsider, and have now written a 4-voice, strophic rendition. (I have considered attempting the full text version, but have (temporarily) put it on hold.

• I should add, for the sake of sanity, that the dynamic marking I put in to make the computer program I used to type-set the piece play it loudly enough to be heard by those without hearing aids. I don't seriously intend it to be sung that loudly.

Cheers,

Chris
  • ghmus7
    Well, to speak of good liturgical materials, we are quite happy with the St. Michaels hymnal. Sunday introits, sacral language, great selection of hymns...Many of the texts have been restored after being mangled by various political agendas....all mass settings very singable.Its so refreshing to able to open the book and sing anything in it without cringing.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Bump -- Vexilla Regis is again useful in the near future
  • Bump for the coming season.
  • ViolaViola
    Pedants' Corner:
    The Oxford College is Magdalen
    the Cambridge one is Magdalene, both pronounced Maudlin as stated above.