The annual organist's dilemma
  • 'Tis Advent, when all organists' minds turn to thoughts of preludes."

"To play or not to play. That is the question."

Indeed. Here we are, once again, capering on the summit of the liturgical year and preparing ourselves once again to call to hearts and minds the Blessed Designs of our Salvation, the annual keeping of Advent. As I begin to think about the importance of my service to the Church and to the parish, I wonder yet again: do I observe the legislative norms and disciplines regarding the use of organ preludes and postludes during Advent?

I am fully aware that these legislative restrictions on the use of organ in the liturgy present both a discipline intended to bring about universality in the Universal Church as well as a means of heightening our spiritual awareness of stilling the soul to hear the voice of God speak to us during this time of quiet penitential preparation.

I'm also aware that for some like myself who live with the daily realities of a typical post-Vatican II suburban parish (with its attendant tendencies toward progressivist thought in matters of liturgy, i.e., "liturgical blue" and floating an advent wreath in the baptismal font . . . no, I can't make these things up), I have to wonder out loud if the elimination of organ preludes and postludes truly makes an effective difference in the long run.

On the one hand I'd like to do all I can to bring what we do as closely in line with the "Mind of the Church" as possible in these matters. On the other hand, if I'm going to have to suffer the other stupidities visited upon myself and others, could not the playing of pieces written for the purposes of use as prelude and postlude music in Advent serve a higher purpose?

I recall several years ago being a subscriber to a "list serve" for NPM, and at the beginning of Lent reading the question of whether or not the flute could be played during Masses in Lent. I finally had to cancel my subscription because, as you can well imagine, reading the responses was much like witnessing a fatal car crash or a train derailment . . . grotesque but I couldn't take my eyes from it.

I'd like to hear people's personal experiences, struggles, etc. with this issue. Those who wish to sharpen their old "No Bach, he's Lutheran" saws are welcome to leave them at the door.
  • Interesting. What precisely do the rubrics say? This hasn't been an issue for us before but it could be this year. Might there also be an EF/OF issue here?
  • miacoyne
    I wish the organists are unified on this. If absense of prelude and postude doesn't do any good, church musicians should try to voice themselves. But until then, aren't we supposed to follow it? Our Church's teaching is not 'realistc' enough?' If we follow only the rules that we understand, we are no better than those who sing "City of God' with guitar and all. We talk about sacredness of the Liturgy which is directly connected with the Church's teaching. Are we singing chants because of our personal preference or it's because the Church placed it in the first place? I get frustrated in trying to do what the Church asks us to do when other fellow musicians whom I want to trust and get support from, have doubts on certain matters.
  • There is certainly no regulation that I'm aware of which calls for the wholesale abandonment of organ music during the season of Advent. Rather, what I am aware of is a call to use restraint and to make judicious musical and liturgical choices. The buzz word of advent seems to be "joyful expectation". The norms suggest that care be taken in music selection. I see nothing to be construed as requiring the elimination of instrumental music during Advent.

Practically speaking, how does adherrance to these norms manifest itself? I think it means using quieter music, along with music in keeping with the joyful spirit of the season. One can never go wrong using music based on the hymn tunes and chants of the season as well.

I, for one will be playing Bach's "Wachet Auf" as a prelude this weekend.
  • francis
    The quiet we excersize now will make the music of Christmas a more appreciated feast for the ears.
  • This link discusses the issue and cites relevant documents:

http://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/ZLITUR60.HTM
  • Mills is very clear: in the EF, no organ except to accompany singers if they have to have it. That said, I personally known no OF parish that obeys this.
  • G
    Who or what is Mills?
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • I have obeyed it in every OF parish I've served.
  • B. Andrew Mills
  • CharlesW
    It seems to me that the one thing that has been lost in the west, is that Advent is a penitential season. I have had some disagree to the point of asking for Christmas carols during Advent. But in the east, it is a season of fasting. I don't play preludes or postludes during Advent, but I do use organ music during communion and offertory times. Last year I played a different version of "Savior of the Nations Come" each week. However, the trumpets have been retired from hymn playing until midnight mass on Christmas Eve. I sometimes think church directives or suggestions assume that Catholic musicians are reasonable people of decent taste, who will approach Advent music with understatement. Obviously, they don't understand the United States that well, do they?
  • mjballoumjballou
    I've cut way back on the organ in the past and I've made sure that everyone knows why I'm doing it. At the same time, I'm acquainted with many organists who don't. There is supposed to be an easily understood difference in the music for different seasons. And in the Church of the Eternally Upbeat and Happy, I think it's important to communicate the message. What to do with all the great Advent organ music? Give a short recital paired with some of the chants and/or hymns of the season.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks Mary Jane. You do have lots of great ideas.
    Mia
  • I will occasionally play a brief 'chorale prelude' introduction to a hymn or two on Gaudete and Laetare.
  • I am not looking to start a battle, but I do disagree with some of the things being said here. Advent is NOT Lent. The documents make that clear. Although it has some penitential connotations, it is not the same and should not look and sound the same as Lent. In Lent we see a request to not use instrumental music. I do not see anything of the nature for Advent; only a request that we use moderation. Certainly, not using the trumpets or the louder literature fit this directive. A ban on organ preludes, offertories, and postludes does not seem to be justified in this light.
  • rogue63
    Do the restrictions on organ music during Advent also apply to the Immaculate Conception on Dec. 8 and Our Lady of Guadalupe on Dec. 12?
  • Advent, Lent, All Souls, and Requiem Masses.
  • chonakchonak
    Alas, I can't give much weight to Mr. Mills' advice, inasmuch as it comes without footnotes.

Considering how much liturgical misinformation is common, I've become a show-me kind of guy. (Grandma was from Missouri.)
  • It is essentially from Fortescu. By the way, the Ecclesia Dei Commission recently cited this book as authoritative, but not even the Vatican is enough for some people.
  • chonakchonak
    It's an interesting letter! "Authoritative" is a bit strong, I think, Jeffrey, but I don't blame you for tooting the CMAA's horn. If Psallite is based on Fortescue -- which I have to go and read now -- surely it would make more sense to call Fortescue "authoritative". Does anyone know if Fortescue offers an answer and a source?
  • I'm choosing to observe the "suppression" with the choral singing of the introits from Bruce Ford's AMERICAN GRADUAL just prior to the congregational Entrance hymn.
  • Well, as I understand this--and I know next to nothing about this--there are many aspects of the Roman Rite, even the old form, that are not in the official rubrics and are left to elucidation by tradition and practice and these are described by scholars such as Fortescue who then become the source for people who seek to do what the Church intends. In other words, they become authoritative by the sheer force of knowledge and understanding. It is not a legislative force as such.

charles, it is so great that you are using Ford!!
  • miacoyne
    No Gloria for Advent, Lent, All Souls, and Requiem Masses.
    It seems that is at least clear for eveyone. I guess taking out some parts of the Mass is easier than keeping silence in the Mass (and before and after Mass).
    Last year when I said to my new pastor that I won't be playing organ intrumental music during Lent, he looked at me with a shock. He is a very caring priest. He told me that the people really don't know how to pray and the silence doesn't seem to be helping them. Does it?
  • priorstf
    miacoyne's priest said:

[T]the people really don't know how to pray and the silence doesn't seem to be helping them.

Strangely enough, Luke (11:1-4) tells us that Christ's disciples encountered the same problem. This would be a great opportunity for the priest to TEACH the people how to pray. Why is the organ silent? What is different about the Church's seasons? What are the varying colors of the vestments all about. Many people haven't thought about these things in years while many other never have known.

Perhaps you could write a small piece for the parish bulletin on his behalf.
  • francis
    Wonderful suggestion, priorstf! I am going to do just that for our next bulletin.
  • rogue63 wrote: "Do the restrictions on organ music during Advent also apply to the Immaculate Conception on Dec. 8 and Our Lady of Guadalupe on Dec. 12?"

I think the restrictions don't apply on these days, at least for the US. Immaculate Conception is a solemnity/1st class feast with Gloria and Creed, so festive organ music and altar flowers would be appropriate. For the US, Our Lady of Guadalupe has been raised to the level of a feast (post-1969 Missal) or 3rd class with Gloria (1962 Missal per FSSP Ordo), so I think organ music would be appropriate.
  • francis
    I would pull out all the stops, so to speak, for the feast days.
  • GavinGavin
    To be clear, there is NO such legislation in force for the OF. I will hold to that until PROVEN otherwise.

That said, it IS a venerable (although likely very recent) tradition in the Roman Rite. I ask the question, I have this opportunity, do I then take it? My answer is in fact no, there is too much outstanding organ music for Advent that should be performed. I do cut back on postludes during Advent, however, limiting it to a chorale or a mezzoforte-ish work. And I see David's point: what the heck does it matter if he cuts preludes, postludes, and interludes if the pop group is jamming before Mass? Better to fight that stuff with some of the most beautiful organ music available, namely that for Advent!

That's my perspective, and I certainly understand those who want to add to the austerity of Advent by cutting organ music. As I said above, we have this tradition, why not use it if there's no reason not to?
  • The GIRM seems to suggest that matters have changed in the OF

In Advent the organ and other musical instruments should be used with a moderation that is
    consistent with the season’s character and does not anticipate the full joy of the Nativity of the
    Lord.
    In Lent the playing of the organ and musical instruments is allowed only to support the singing.
    Exceptions are Laetare Sunday (Fourth Sunday of Lent), Solemnities, and Feasts.
  • VickiW
    Speaking as someone who is a PIP except for once a month, hearing a gentle organ prelude puts me into instant prayer mode. At home, I prefer complete silence, but in church I seem to need the help of the organ. Just my 2 cents.
  • GavinGavin
    There you have it. I should add that during Lent, in addition to not doing instrumental music, I accompany congregational song as lightly as possible - 8', 4', and nothing else. Maybe a 2' on the last verse of a great hymn. That sets off the austerity of Lent well, and pleases the old ladies who always complain about my volume!
  • Jeffrey: What of Musicam Sacram? What is its canonical status in relation to the GIRM? As others have said, Musicam Sacram mentions Advent in the instrumental music ban. The GIRM seems to contradict that. I usually go by the GIRM. But how are we to reconcile conflicting sentiments?
  • Musicam Sacram hasn't been abrogated and still remains in force. The GIRM doesn't necessarily contradict what Musicam Sacram says because the GIRM doesn not explicitly call for or make allowances for instrumental music. What is so hard to understand about Advent being a penitential season? As someone on this thread indicated, that fact seems to be ignored. Look, if we don't sing the Gloria isn't that an indication that we've shifted gears?

The organ should remain silent except for the sustaining of the singing (choral and congregational).
  • Seriously, what do you do, follow me around? My fiancee is going to get mad ... if you start posting about what I had for dinner last night, I'm going to really freak out ... :)

Advent isn't truly any longer a penitential season. It DOES have penitential overtones to it (John the Baptist's call to reform our lives, etc.) But it is NOT Lent. It shouldn't look and feel exactly the same as Lent. We still use the Alleluia as an acclamation and in hymns.

You make a compelling argument, and you are using good logic with some things that back you up - but in the totality of the documents, I still disagree with your interpretations.
  • G
    "What is so hard to understand about Advent being a penitential season? "

"Advent isn't truly any longer a penitential season. "

I would love an authoritative citation either way.

• Authoritive citations are hard to come by, but aren't we now allowed to eat meat at all times during Advent? Do we not continue the use of the Alleluia? I believe that there are penitential overtones to the season. I would not, however, call it a penitential time in the same manner that Lent is. Of course - we you have pointed out - hard and fast documentation on the nature and definition of "penitential season" is hard to come by.
  • Jan
    Before V2, everyone was very clear about Advent. Can't understand what happened.
  • Interesting conflict between GIRM and Musicam. Didn't know about that. someone should make a full list!
  • francis
    Well, here is the age old hymn of Advent. This is clearly a hymn of repentance.

Rorate Caeli

Drop down dew, ye heavens, from above, and let the clouds rain the Just One.

Be not angry, O Lord, and remember no longer our iniquity : behold the city of thy sanctuary is become a desert, Sion is made a desert. Jerusalem is desolate, the house of our holiness and of thy glory, where our fathers praised thee.

We have sinned, and we are become as one unclean, and we have all fallen as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast crushed us by the hand of our iniquity.

See, O Lord, the affliction of thy people, and send him whom thou hast promised to send. Send forth the Lamb, the ruler of the earth, from the rock of the desert to the mount of the daughter of Sion, that he himself may take off the yoke of our captivity.

Be comforted, be comforted, my people; thy salvation shall speedily come why wilt thou waste away in sadness? why hath sorrow seized thee? I will save thee; fear not: for I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Redeemer.

Drop down dew, ye heavens, from above, and let the clouds rain the Just One. Rorate caeli desuper, et nubes pluant iustum.

Ne irascaris Domine, ne ultra memineris iniquitatis: ecce civitas Sancti facta est deserta, Sion deserta facta est: Ierusalem desolata est: domus sanctificationis tuac et gloriae tuae, ubi laudaverunt te patres nostri.

Rorate caeli desuper, et nubes pluant iustum.

Peccavimus, et facti sumus tamquam immundus nos, et cecidimus quasi folium universi; et iniquitates nostrae quasi ventus abstulerunt nos: abscondisti faciem tuam a nobis, et allisisti nos in manu iniquitatis nostrae.

Vide, Domini, afflictionem populi tui, et mitte quem missurus es, emitte Agnum dominatorem terrae, de Petra deserti montem filiae Sion: ut auferat ipse iugum captivatis nostrae.

Consolamini, consolamini, popule meus: cito veniet salus tua:. quare moerore consumeris, quia innovavit te dolor? Salvabo te, noli timere: ego enim sum Dominus Deus, tuus, Sanctus Israel, Redemptor tuus.

• francis
    ...and my wife says,

purple equals penance people!
  • Jan
    Thanks Francis. Love that hymn! We will sing it every Sunday during Advent.
  • G
    At First Vespers this evening at the Vatican, it seemed, beneath the announcer's voice-over, as if an organ solo was played as postlude.
    I'm just sayin'....

• I've actually heard an opinion voiced that the rubrics (or whatever) we're talking about pertains to the music at the Mass, and not particularly to prelude and postlude music. That would make sense in that all of the documents we're looking at are about what is done or not AT Mass - that's the only thing they cover. Even the Recessional hymn is not even acknowledged as a part of the Mass.
  • Jan
    Steve, that makes sense to me. For example, after the 2nd Sunday of the month Mass ,we always have Benediction & I'll
    play the organ quietly for accompaniment even though the Mass will be a capella. I think the idea is to 'tune it down' during advent.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Point!

LOL, G!
  • GavinGavin
    Steve's theory is intriguing, although I'd say the "spirit of the law" would ask that we refrain from preludes and postludes when "solo instrumental music is not to be used at Mass," whenever that may be.

Geri, recall that this is Vespers. I'd propose that the same GENERAL ideas should prevail at communal celebrations of the hours, although they may not have the force of law. Again, this is a matter of "why not?" We have a fine Western tradition, so long as nothing stands in our way, why not use it?
  • G
    "I recall several years ago being a subscriber to a 'list serve' for NPM, and at the beginning of Lent reading the question of whether or not the flute could be played during Masses in Lent."

I knew of a parish where, because someone read that the organ was to be used only in moderation during the penitential seasons, they just switched to piano, flute and drums.
    No joke.

• Well, folks, I did my level-best to be moderate in my organ use, but after I saw giant BLUE candles (and one light pink) on our Advent wreath in the sanctuary, I decided that all bets were off.

I'm keeping Advent in my home, however. Right down to my "Advent tree" which while using white lights has purple bulbs with a few rose-colored ones. When I recited Evening Prayer I for Advent I, I sang Conditor alme siderum, in Latin, for the hymn.

Tomorrow night I'll put up the stable from my nativity set. The plan is to add things gradually each Sunday in Advent.

I wish everyone a blessed Advent, whether you play the organ at Mass (prelude, postlude or otherwise) or not!
  • Steve, this makes sense. so we come to a consensus that reconciles law, reason, and a sense of the faith! how Catholic!
  • GavinGavin
    Can someone explain to me what the big hubub is about blue in Advent? Why is it so terribly offensive to people? Yes, I know it's not allowed, but neither is Fr. traveling outside the sanctuary to shake hands, excessive usage of EMHCs, or solo organ music in Lent. Certain types of Catholics get so worked up because someone, somewhere, was using blue for Advent. And I should point out that, so far as I know, there are zero rubrics on what color the advent candles may be. No, the problem seems to be the color blue, so what's the deal?

This is one of the few places where I agree 100% with Fr. Z: a RETURN (because it's the more ancient practice) to blue in Advent would be fantastic. However, until the Church gets its act together and follows the dictates of myself and Fr. Z, priests should be content to wear purple.
  • chonakchonak
    Some priests adopted blue in an effort to remove any remaining elements from Advent observance that seemed penitential, and they said so. Apparently they figured that the liturgical experts of the day knew better than the Church, and should be followed. This offended people who saw much of 1970s-1980s US Catholicism as an effort to overlook the problem of sin and stick a smiley face on everything.

Besides, artistically made purple vestments weren't replaced with artistically made blue vestments, but with polyester ponchos. I know one parish where an elderly priest wryly lamented after a church fire that, alas, they hadn't been able to save the Advent blue vestments, so he was compelled to wear the old purple ones. :-)

Trying to 'purify' Advent totally of its penitential elements seemed odd to my mind, since the Sunday readings before and during Advent place so much emphasis on the end of the world and the Last Judgment.

His dictis, I like Steve's idea.