Alternatim Masses
  • Does anyone know of a nice SATB Mass that alternates with the plainchant of Mass VIII? Or any other Masses, for that matter? I've been looking around on CPDL and IMSLP without any luck.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I'm not sure how the modes match up, but there are these extremely nice alternatim Masses and you'd have an even wider choice of Isaac at a good library.
  • CGM
    And there's a very nice one on the Missa de Angelis, written by an Italian fellow named Claudio Dall'Albero.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood dhalkj
  • CGM
    And an informational note courtesy of this webpage:

"The Duke of Mantua, Guglielmo Gonzaga, commissioned 12 Masses (the number is debated) from Palestrina in 1578 for use at his chapel (Santa Barbara). They were alternatim in style, i.e. they consist of polyphonic passages and passages in plainchant. Palestrina was at the same time working on a renovation of plainchant at the request of the pope (Gregory XIII) and he claimed to have used these purified chants as the basis of his Mantuan Masses."

So that gives you something to look for...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    working on a renovation of plainchant.... these purified chants

Just sayin'.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    But at least Palsestrina didn't invent the ictus. (Purple or not, you decide)
  • If you'd like a copy of Victoria's Missa Dominicalis, PM me. It utilizes Kyrie & Gloria XI, Sanctus & Agnus Dei XVIII.
  • Definitely!
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Which of these is the Missa Dominicalis?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Which of these is the Missa Dominicalis?

It's listed at the very bottom of the same page linked to here, apparently a misattribution to Victoria of a work by "Desconocido" (ie. unknown). It's also published at CPDL, here, with Victoria given as the composer (which needs to be fixed).
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • rich_enough
    There are also alternatim settings of the Gloria from Mass VIII by Peter Latona (based on a mass by Giovanni Paolo Cima) and Richard J. Clark. More info on this thread.
  • I'll have it set for everyone, gentlemen - just adapting it from my hard copy to Score Writer format.