St Cecilia Academy for Pastoral Musicians, New York
  • G
    This is probably old news to anyone here who would be interested, but in case it's not:
    The inaugural season of the St. Cecilia Academy for Pastoral Musicians at Saint Joseph Seminary was announced on August 22 by the Archdiocesan Liturgy Committee of New York.

The new music program at the seminary in Yonkers, which is the center of formation for the priesthood for the Arch- diocese of New York, the Diocese of Brooklyn, and the Diocese of Rockville Centre, will train parish musicians in the history, theology, and pastoral principles of liturgy and sacred music.

Musicians enrolled in the St. Cecilia Academy will participate in masters level courses, including:

Introduction to Liturgy
    Liturgical Music: History of Sacred Music, Principles of Sacred Music, Liturgical Music Planning
    Liturgical Year/Art and Environment in Worship
    Principles of Chant: Theory and Practicum

At the program’s conclusion, qualified students will receive accreditation as a pastoral musician within the Archdiocese of New York.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • The Academy will be a great resource for those looking for continuing education! I am beginning my work at Dunwoodie Seminary as Associate Professor and Director of Sacred Music in January and, with my colleague Fr. Matthew Ernest, will be teaching the classes in the Academy. Father Ernest will teach the classes in liturgy, while I'll teach the sacred music curriculum.

During the spring semester, I'll be offering "Liturgical Music: History of Sacred Music, Principles of Sacred Music,Liturgical Music Planning" (3 credits) one night per week. This summer, I will teach the "Principles of Chant – Theory and Practicum" (3 credits) course - while the scheduling remains to be solidified, we hope to be able to offer the course in a one-week session. I'll be sure to post more information here when the schedule is finalized.

If you're interested in finding out more about the Academy, please feel free to contact me at jdonelson@newliturgicalmovement.org.
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • JahazaJahaza
    Excited to learn that you're headed to New York!