Gloria: too much to sing in the new translation
  • kevinfkevinf
    http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2014/10/07/glory-to-god-in-the-oh-nevermind/

To be honest, I was truly shocked by this post. I never gave any thought to the text being too difficult. And when we sing congregational settings, we sing through composed settings. We sing three settings of the text and no one has ever complained.

Does anyone in this part of the Catholic world recite the Gloria because of the translation?

From the bourbon lands,
    Kevin
  • CharlesW
    Interesting nonsense! My parish sings that Gloria to the ICEL missal chants every week with no problems. Is the author saying that Catholics are so poorly educated these days, they can no longer read text? Is he complaining about the wretched music education so many receive, often in Catholic schools? Or could it be that some of the composers he cites write un-singable music?
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I found this post to be among the dumbest I've read from PrayTell.

But I was positively delighted at the irony in juxtaposing the idea of non-literal translation as a good thing with the quote from the GIRM:

The text of this hymn may not be replaced by any other text.
  • JahazaJahaza
    The post appears to take out of context something that refers on my reading to the metrical hymns of the liturgy (sequences, office hymns) and apply it to the Gloria where the metrical quality is quite obscure in Latin.

"37. Liturgical hymns lose their proper function unless they are rendered in an appropriate verse rhythm, suitable for singing by the people."
  • SalieriSalieri
    Perhaps it's because composers (erm, song-writers perhaps in this case?) don't know how to effectively cope with a non-rhyming, non-metrical (prose) text? It's probably because we got so used to the obvious triple-time meter of the incipit of late ICEL - how many "Glory to God"s can you think of written in 3/4 or 6/8 in the past 50 years?

I bet if they tried chanting the Gloria to a simple, repetitive tone, like Gloria XV, Gloria VIII, Mozarabic, Merbecke, etc. it wouldn't be as daunting
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Chant is old hat.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Can we expect Collegeville to start a major in Hillsongs Ministries soon. Omigosh, that'd be so rad! I just know Fr. Anthony will find the best engineers to teach the Visual and Sound Ministry Majors. Do you think they'll have a Barrista Ministry too? Too much?
    Okay, I'm wearing my shirt tails out with my sport jacket this Sunday in solidarity!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Does anyone else feel like that's a very defeatist, lazy attitude?

"This new Gloria is too haaaard!"

I find myself realizing more and more lately that most of the folks who comment over at PTB and pretty much everyone who posts there simply think very differently than I do. I just think they're wrong about so very many things.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • MatthewRoth
    IIRC the Missal does not even give the Latin, instead settling for the ICEL chant. First, I'm of the opinion that ICEL's work with the chant is a B-. Second, I think it's implying people can't sing the Latin chant. It's too hard, too long, too difficult, etc.

That means it's particularly absurd to complain about the English setting as being too hard to sing. The ICEL setting is easy to sing, certainly easier than some of the composed setting. It's also bizarre the author cites a passage of Comme le prevoitwhich gives a literal translation of Et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis that is easier to sing yet has been rejected on grounds of inclusiveness, since "man" and "men" have lost their inclusive meanings in English along the lines of the Latin homo.

At school we usually sing a guitar setting that, while lacking a refrain, is not a true through-composition. That said, we've all memorized the text, and we don't need to look at the missalette for it. It's really not that hard.
  • BenBen
    Does anyone in this part of the Catholic world recite the Gloria because of the translation?

Good gosh. Too difficult? Do we have to reduce everything to the lowest common denominator? Do we have to assume people are STUPID and can't comprehend or read english?

The text is only too difficult if you go in with a defeatist attitude because you ideologically hate all that it stands for.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Spriggo
  • GavinGavin
    "The text is only too difficult if you go in with a defeatist attitude because you ideologically hate all that it stands for."

Isn't that the guiding principle of PrayTell?

• The text is only too difficult if you go in with a defeatist attitude because you ideologically hate all that it stands for

Think of the opaque language of modern theology: we can't use "confession" or "penance", and so we must use "reconciliation". "Prophetic Voice"; "Cosmic Christ"; "Omega Point"; "seat at the table", and such similar ideas, and, of course 'Transfinalization' and 'transsignification'.

Sure, the new translation is too hard, but for whom?

• chonakchonak
    Considering how often we are told that the world now has the most highly educated and involved Catholic laity ever, that should put an end to any fussing about how "haaarrd" the text is. For heaven's sake, singing it recto tono would be better than merely reciting it.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Hi.
  • matthewj October 7 Thanks
    Chant is old hat.
    Chant is ancient hat.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Did you say recto tono???
    Oh, Adam would be so pleased!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • chonakchonak
    Well, I know MatthewJ has copyrights in that area, so he'll be particularly pleased.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ryandryand
    I gave PTB a fair shot for awhile, and never found anything of value there. This nonsense and the cleric's ramblings on "change the rules because we refused to follow them" just confirm that the place is a hopeless abyss.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • ryandryand
    The "ancient and venerable hymn" that is being THRUST from the people by this abominable translation is, according to the council which called it "ancient and venerable," also intended to BE SUNG IN LATIN ANYWAY SO THE TRANSLATION DOESN'T MATTER.

And, not that you could ever expect a PTB anti-intellectual to catch a detail like this, the new missal includes a nice melody that is also ancient. It works great IN THE LATIN IT SHOULD BE SUNG IN but also works nicely with the translation.

Oh, and venerable? This translation is loads more venerable than its predecessor.

Latin is also venerable.
  • kevinfkevinf
    So I can safely assume most everyone IS singing it in this part of the world.

Time to give up on PTB. I tried......
  • Yes Kevin, we sing it at the other end of the state.......always! The text is not problematic when set in chant style or unequal meter or some compositional device that takes into account the somewhat irregular structure. And of course there is always the Latin text :)
  • And on another note....I gave up on PrayTell a long time ago...
  • In case my comment gets the boot, here is what I added to PTB:

Since the new translation came out, I have successfully (as in: the congregation participated strongly) used three settings at two different parishes:

Mass of Christian Unity – Vermulst
    The Missal Chant Gloria
    My own setting.

My own setting puts the words of the Gloria with a metered melody based on a hymn tune I sang a lot while living in Austria – Wunderschoen Praechtige.

So from my own experience, I know that:

a – the Gloria is not too long to sing
    b – the Gloria is not impossible for congregations to sing
    c – there are at least three settings of the Gloria in existence that are good enough quality to sing
    d – the Gloria has not been taken away from the people – at least, not where I’m in charge
    e – the new translation is not impossible to use, or to set to music myself
    f – the new translation can be set to a metered tune successfully, or to a chant-style tune, without needing refrains
    g – composers, myself included, have been presented with a translation that allows the faithful to sing

Frank, music directors all over the country (some of whom have just posted above) are successfully using many different settings of the new translations. With all due respect, why is this post worthy of featuring on a national liturgy blog? And why does it make sense to take your own difficulty finding/implementing a good setting of the Gloria, and extrapolate from there that the new translation is inherently unusable? Not trying to be (too) harsh here, since the new translation is certainly challenging to compose for. But there is a difference between a challenge and an impossibility.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • As of today, I have officially given up on PTB. I do not need this kind of angst while working...

A few notes:
    The blogger who composed this article has a Doctorate in some form of Sacred Music? I find this rather silly since if he had referred to his church history knowledge, (which I assume that a person like this has, since I only have a Masters) then I think he would find that you cannot compare the ancient Catholic definition of hymn (pieces derived from the Liturgy of the Hours-simplest definition for the sake of brevity) with the Protestant rendering of strophic, rhymed verses version. This is folly at its worst for academics.

Secondly, OF COURSE IT DOESN'T FIT METRICALLY!!!!! IT WAS NEVER DESIGNED TO!!!! DUH!!!!

Thirdly, many people are having much success with this translation. I find it works better YMMV. I will give an example of extremes: we used Mass of a Joyful Heart (Angrisano and Tomaszek) while I was a campus minister at the College Mass without the refrain. The people picked up on it in merely weeks.
    I use the Antiphonal Gloria from Lee's revised Congregation Mass with much success. Some of the other choirs in my parish use Proulx's revised Community Mass setting. The people sing them with ease.

I could not bring myself to comment on the actual PTB article, because I feel that I would only be inspired to flame the author, as I fear I may have done too much of here, which I find to be less than Christian. I am sorry if I have in actuality done this. (I may need to go to Confession) I'll be going to Confession.
  • Just sounds like simple laziness to me. Perhaps someone with an agenda? Sorry to be cynical, but we've seen a lot of that these days, haven't we? We all know that PIPs (certain ones, certainly not ALL of them) whine and complain about the status quo because it doesn't contain something specifically interesting to them, such as OEW not played enough for their liking, or the piano sits idle most of the time, or there's no guitars nor drums, etc., and Mass just doesn't "feel right" to them anymore. There are many, MANY, reasons for the last one (Mass not feeling right anymore) than just the music, but that seems to be what people pick on. My view is that the people that state they either left or joined a parish "for the music" actually joined for some other reason and they can't explain it. So, they just pick something that is their opinion (in their opinion anyway) so that nobody can really argue with them about it. This is especially true of people that leave a parish "because of the music." It could have been about the Pastor, but they're not about to say that on a survey, nor especially to his face if they are asked about why they're leaving, so they blame something they see as less important.

As for text and music being too difficult for people, I don't think that's the case at all. Even when everything is done in Latin, nothing is really too difficult, so long as people are willing to put a minimal effort into learning it. There are places where there is a wholesale rejection of Latin in the Mass (what is the reason for this? Certainly not because V2 said so), and many times the justification is "we can't understand it," or "it's too hard to pronounce." Yet, many of these same places will pick up on Spanish and sing it dutifully, even pronouncing the words correctly (Pan de Vida anyone?).

I don't think the problem is with ability: it's with attitude. Not "we CAN'T understand it," but "we DON'T WANT to understand it." It's a lack of effort on the part of those people who complain in this manner. As someone stated eloquently above: "...too difficult for whom...?"

PIP: Latin is too hard.
    Me: Too hard for whom? I can do it just fine.
    PIP: But I don't understand it: I can't do it.
    Me: I'll teach you.
    PIP: No, that's ok.

I think I will stop there before this becomes much more of a rant than it already is. My apologies.
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • "Okay, I'm wearing my shirt tails out with my sport jacket this Sunday in solidarity!" -
    Charles, Charles, you are so 20 minutes ago. Choir rags will be sandals (no socks!!!), jeans (ideally ripped and pre-dirtied), tee-shirt with rad slogan. This will be covered in Hillsongs 201 "Dressing for Success"; Hillsongs 101 will be "Discover the V7 chord"
    (The Barista Ministry will be covered at graduate level.)
  • We sing not only the Gloria but the Creed as well. I wonder what PTB would have to say about that?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yikes, Sam, I was under the impression no one ever actually tried to read, much less comprehend, my posts!
    My new look is simply a nod to the fact I'm the conductor (I'm feeling you, Skirpan!). The unwashed in the qwire can wear what they want as a testament to hospitality.) Besides my tummy still sticks out in a 4X Hawaiian shirt, daw-nyaw-beet.
    Regarding the topic, I've been let loose to roam freely at PTB again, and my sense of things is that momentum there, and for that matter at the Cafe also, is waning. Why? I dunno.
    I'd hazard this guess- a sort of "Francis Effect" which essentially anesthetizes any folk still interested in how liturgy is conducted. If HHF isn't so concerned, or is rather arbitrary in his affect/effect ratio, then what have we to argue about? The venerable history of the Clown Mass? The victory dance stomp on the post-Burke cappa magnas?
    The circular and self-defeating logic that if less than a percent of extant catholics attend the EF, why bother teaching it in seminaries? Heck, talking about the Gloria at PTB is as if "Pastoral Music" actually had an article discussing, uh, MUSIC! (There was great rejoicing.) But in the meantime, we'll grouse about the synod tongue being Italian, does that rankle us enough? I dunno.
    Fr. Ron taking me to task last week reminded me that all I ever wanted (is to forever....oops) from listserves is a place to actually discuss the attributes and inspiration that great and beautiful music provides the human heart. But, as we've found out, there's actually only so much "talking about music" that folks can tolerate.
    I'm putting you, Sam, in charge of revising our internet curriculum. See Richard C for details! ;-) Say hello to yer boss, tell him I'm tired of "phui" and would the Giants cinch it, please.
  • Charles, the next ten days my boss and I must by loyalty support the teams of our youth. (I first saw Stan Musial play over sixty years ago.) After the NLCS has been decided, we will once again become baseball comrades in arms for the World Series. "Venite ad Stadio Buschensis!!!" "Ite, Cardinales!!!" Victoria XII in MMXIV!!!
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • ronkrisman
    Regii regnabunt.
    Thanked by 2gregp SamuelDorlaque
  • Regii regnabunt.- Father, Are you prophesying another I-70 Series?
  • fcbfcb
    I know that Carl Schmitt said that the friend-enemy distinction was fundamental to the formation of any group identity, but I generally think that solidifying your own identity by identifying enemies is suboptimal (Schmitt was, after all, a Nazi sympathizer). As someone who occasionally is a contributor to PTB I would caution people against presuming that there is a party line (if there is one, I have not been informed of it; I'm allowed to post whatever I want). Sure, the editor has certain issues that he is interested in (the current translation of the Missal being one of them), but the actual postings are more varied than some folks here given them credit for.

You might look at the comments on this particular post and note that at most two of them actually agree with the original post. So at least on the question of the singability of the Gloria, there doesn't seem to be a PTB party line.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I know that Carl Schmitt said that the friend-enemy distinction was fundamental to the formation of any group identity

I've always thought of PTB and CMAA as "frenemies."
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • So I can safely assume most everyone IS singing it in this part of the world.

They aren't in my geographical parish, which treasures their Low Mass Experience. They speak all the Ordinary and the Psalm, so they can get out in 40 minutes. They were merged with another parish and the MD at that parish offered to help them, and was refused.

But everywhere else I've ever been? Yeah they sing it.
  • ronkrisman
    Father, Are you prophesying another I-70 Series?

No need to prophesy at all. The Royals-Orioles ALCS is an I-70 series. And if the Cardinals capture the NLCS, the World Series will be another I-70 series, either KC-St. Louis (my preference) or St. Louis-Baltimore.
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • rich_enough
    I wouldn't term the good folks at PTB "enemies," and I understand there is no rigid "party line" on every issue. It's just that I gain very little from reading over there - other than frustration.

I used to browse and comment, but realized that most of the contributors (and commenters) are on a different planet when it comes to an appreciation of the Church's liturgy and tradition. I decided I simply had better things to read and discuss. (I thought Fr. Ruff's latest book was well worth reading but his blog posts? Not so much.)
  • JahazaJahaza
    @fcb

Of course there's a party line.

They ban people from commenting for no reason other than that they disagree with them.

I defended Fr. Ruff for a long time here and elsewhere for allowing an open discussion... but it's clear that I was mistaken.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Fritz, outside of Sam H's comment above, I don't think anyone was necessarily beating the horse of "agendae" between us'n's and them's. Of course, banning folks like SJH is incontheivable to me as his is one of the brightest intellects of PTB's loyal opposition (my favorite term for the two camps.) Banning me? Phui, I expect I earn that.
    What I think is disconcerting about the "Glory" topic and the others I mentioned is that they seem, of late mind you, of little actual value in the arena of liturgics.

I kinda sorta implied (and I'm experiencing it firsthand, also of late) is that the whole Vatican II mantra of "Mass, source and summit of our human experiences" is "waning" under this papacy. Whether this is the result of causal or casual action/inaction, I dunno. But I would think that we frenemies or "loyal opposites" ought to agree upon is that the attention provided the "work of the people" in God's House at worship should be no less important than how we take our personal commissions into the world after the "ite Missa est."

I don't know how it is in your region (the South, right) but out here, and anecdotally from the four points, it seems we are slouch-drifting towards complacency, drive-thru and ultimately superstitious, hedge-yer-bets sacramental practices. Could be just me. I'm not the brightest bulb in the box.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I kinda sorta implied (and I'm experiencing it firsthand, also of late) is that the whole Vatican II mantra of "Mass, source and summit of our human experiences" is "waning" under this papacy.

Hic. Haec. Hoc.
  • fcbfcb
    Sam, I will agree that there are some (to me) inexplicable bannings that have taken place, but part of what makes them inexplicable (to me) is that they are not consistent--there might be two people expressing the same view and one will get banned and another not. I have on occasion questioned the editor about such things and sometimes he has changed his mind as a result of my queries, which indicates to me that he at least wants to be fair (whether or not he, or any of us, succeeds in this is another matter).

I of course have my own list of folks I'd like to see banned from the comboxes, but it's not my blog.

Sorry to have derailed the thread. We can return to the real topic: the possibilities of a Cardinals-Orioles World Series.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Sorry to have derailed the thread. We can return to the real topic: the possibilities of a Cardinals-Orioles World Series.

It was the best part of the thread!
  • CharlesW
    I feel the deepest sympathy and Christian charity towards those wussy girlie men at PTB who can't handle that mean old Gloria. Wonder how they would handle a real challenge?
  • eft94530eft94530
    This new Gloria is too haaaard!

Why am I having trouble locating a Homer Simpson recording of this statement?
  • There was a school of thought for a long time that the best way to do things at a parish level was sing an Antiphonal Gloria, where the phrase "Glory to God in the Highest and peace to His people on Earth" (old translation) at about 3 or 4 points throughout, whilst a cantor or the choir sang the rest of the text. This was stupid. Most congregations learned to sing the whole of the Gloria through and then also sang the antiphons or they were the difficult type who wouldn't sing anything no matter what you did with the music.

The new Gloria isn't any harder to sing than the old one. If you pick a particular setting and running with it for a year, the whole congregation would be able to sing it. When I introduced a new setting of the mass at Advent last year (not having to sing the Gloria at that time) the congregation learned all the shorter mass parts and then when the Gloria came about during Christmastide, the congregation picked it up rather quickly. Everyone was singing the Gloria quite well when Easter came around.

Too many theorists out there who don't really deal with the realities of the average suburban Catholic parish and what is achievable. The fact is that many parishes are unable to raise choirs in the proper sense, but are best served by a team of cantors who lead the congregational singing and are capable of singing various parts solo or softly accompanied on the organ.

I would know, I had to start basically from scratch in a parish last year after not playing for regular parishes for several years, and this included having to learn and teach a whole new setting of the mass, revive favourite hymns and introduce a repertoire of new ones. I even got into the practice of singing the Communion Antiphon in chant tone (but in English) before commencing the communion hymn.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Warning: this is somewhat of a rant, with some suggestions and a setting.

This grousing about the new English Gloria text not being suitable for musical settings is just so much baloney. A lot of the complaining seems to work its way around, one way or another, to the phrase "and on earth peace to people of good will," or to expressions that amount to "O my God, we can't do a Gloria without a refrain, because 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to people of good will' is almost impossible to foist off on the people."

More generally, some assert that the Gloria cannot really be a hymn or "song" because it isn't rhymed, metrical, or strophic (with a fixed number of verses/lines be stanza). Hey, folks, I've got news for you: the Psalms, the Magnificat, the Nunc dimittis, the Te Deum laudamus, aren't rhymed, metrical, or strophic, but they are "songs" or canticles (hymns), too. Metrical, strophic and rhymed hymnody has its place, but it is generally less ancient than and should not supplant these older forms.

This complaints amount to a monumental, bodacious cop-out. A well thought out and and sensitive through-composed setting (a) needs no congregational refrain, (b) has no problem assimilating and addressing in a tasteful musical way the "people of good will" phrase, and (c) takes advantage of the other so-called (nonrhymed, nonmetrical, nonstrophic) problems such as the (wonderful) sequence "We praise you, we bless you, we adore you, we glorify you, we give you thanks for your great glory" (which should be somewhat of a high point in the setting), then the sequence of invocations to the Son, "Lord Jesus Christ, Only Begotten Son, LORD God, Lamb of God. Son of the Father," before beseeching the Son to be merciful and take away the sins of the world, and finally the sequence of "For you alone are the Holy One, you alone are the LORD, you alone are the most high" that leads to the concluding Trintarian acclamation: "Jesus Christ, with the Holy Spirit, in the glory of God the Father. Amen."

Finally, there are those who apparently deprecate triple musical meters as too "waltz"-like or "dance"-like, and that, since the first few words of the Gloria fall naturally(?) into a three beat stress pattern, the Gloria text is unsuitable because it cries out for a "waltzy" triple meter setting. More hogwash. There are two issues here: (1) those that think triple meters are inappropriate in the liturgy (because of their waltziness?), and (2) a triple meter for the Gloria setting is a straightjacket of some kind. Wrong, and wrong. It is plain foolishness to think that triple meter might be wrong or somehow seduce the musician/singer/listener into some kind of inapproprate state of non-grace by the mere fact of its being used. Such people either have not heard of or else reject the "perfect" (triple) versus "imperfect" (duple) stress metrical patterns, eg. "perfect with imperfect subdivision" (3/2), "imperfect with perfect subdivision" (6/4 or 6/8) or "perpect with perfect subdivision" (9/4 or 9/8), of the Renaissance composers, many of whom valued perfection in one form or another over incessant imperfection.

In modern usage, there are many ways to lessen the waltzy OOHM-pah-pah or OOHM-pah-PAH feel of triple time, such as (a) the judicious use of hemiola (2+2+2 in the space of 3+3) or (b) 1+2 (not just at a cadence), and (c) something other than starting on the downbeat or a one beat pickup in triple time (try a two beat or even four beat pickup sometime!). As for execution of triple meters, I suppose an organist can play (execute?) "Lobe den Herren" (Praist to the Lord, the Almighty) so fast that it seems like a Walpurgis Nacht sounding frenzied demonic waltz, but played with appropriate dignity, it is solemn with just the right gravitas that befits the text. Ditto for any of several other much beloved hymms, eg. "Alleluia, sing to Jesus", "Jerusalem, my happy home" or "Holy God, we praise thy name." I don't mean that these should be played too slowly, either. Any music has a (usually narrow) range of appropriate tempi. Paraphrasing the words of a famous jazz musician, play it not too fast and not too slow, just half-fast, yeah!

Keeping these things in mind, one might come up with something along the lines of my own setting (attached). Its melodies are something a choir and congregation can easily learn to sing, since it has certain recurring motifs (some "sequential") that lend themselves to rapid assimilation. And once the congregation is comfortable with it, the choir can learn and sing it in four part harmony. It has already been used in at least one parish (that I know of) with success and will soon be used in another parish. Try it, using the score, sing through it a couple of times, then see if it fits with the principles I've outlined above and decide whether it has the right "feel" for the Gloria. If you like it, let me know. If you hate it, don't be afraid to let me know what's wrong with it. Oh, and it comes in at about 2min 45sec.

Chuck Giffen

• SalieriSalieri
    I don't deprecate triple meters as too dance-like, no more than duple meters. But, I think all will agree, that in the hands of a mediocre composer, triple meters can turn into Waltzer, and duple can sound like a Polka or a Sousa March (all three genres that I like, just not in church). My triple time comment was primarily about the ubiquitous "Mess of Cremation", and other staples of the Haagen-Dasz genre, and these dance-like figures are very often taken to the very extreme of bad-taste by the guitarists who only know how to go "chunk-chigga-chigga, chunk-chigga-chigga...." And that basically there is no law that all settings of the Glory to God need to be in Triple-time, which has, it seems, come to be expected over the past 40-50 years, and that maybe people think the new text is 'unsingable' because it doesn't have the obvious dactylic meter of the former translation.

And not that all music with a hint of the dance is bad for Church use - the final "Alleluias" of Victoria's 'O Magnum' for example, or the "Dona nobis" of Mozart's K 49 Mass.

I guess I just deprecate bad settings by bad composers.

[Edit, German fix'd.]
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    So is the text NOT METRICAL ENOUGH or is it TOO METRICAL?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The German plural is Waltzer, of course, and you have a point about duple meter. Few things set my teeth on edge like the Lutheran version of "How can I keep from singing", which is properly sung in 3/2.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Salieri
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    So is the text NOT METRICAL ENOUGH or is it TOO METRICAL?

It's neither: it is what it is.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood melofluent
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Quite.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen