From letters to St. Anthony Messenger periodical
  • In the regular column of the current "St. Anthony Messenger," ASK A FRANCISCAN, a gentleman offers some inquiries under the heading of "Worship Must Lift Us Up."

http://www.americancatholic.org/Messenger/Nov2008/Wiseman.asp

I would be interested in how all of you would have addressed this man's concerns. It seems that the responding author, Rev. Pat McCloskey, O.F.M., presented an "O'Reilly-esque NO SPIN" response that was factual and responsible. However, I still wondered whether the gentleman would be satisfied with McCloskey's response, or even if the gentleman was "on the same page" of understanding the more subtle points of response.
  • GavinGavin
    Do you mean "Mass should be more of a celebration"? I think it's helpful to examine exactly what his presuppositions are:

My wife and I have 11 grandchildren, seven of whom do not attend Mass any longer. Most of them go to large, very popular community churches near them. One has 14,000 people every Sunday, filling two auditoriums. There are probably many Catholics there. Here is the presupposition that numbers = good. This is plainly wrong. Those megachurches often have a deadly spirituality with them, such as Osteen's Prosperity Gospel, a sure ticket to Hell.

When I visited this church, I observed the people singing loudly with the band; it’s their kind of music. After Scripture readings proclaimed by several members of the congregation and a song, the pastor delivers a homily that has a message they can take with them. After a benediction and song, the people leave the auditorium, talking happily to each other—and then go to different rooms for discussion. They have a celebration that they talk about after they leave! None of that is the Mass. This man clearly has no idea what being Catholic is about.

Contrast that with how our Mass begins. After we open with a song written hundreds of years ago and played on an organ, the priest says, “As we prepare to celebrate the sacred mysteries, let us call to mind our sins.” What's wrong with a song written hundreds of years ago? Does this guy have any clue how old his bible is?? And here's a clue: The priest says that BECAUSE HE'S SUPPOSED TO!!!

Wow! Talk about a downer! That really grabs your interest if you are a young person—or any person, for that matter! If you were in your teens, 20s or 30s, where would you go the next Sunday? I'm 23, and I go to the Tridentine Mass, an Anglican church, or an Orthodox Divine Liturgy because I KNOW they're going to "focus on sin" and I won't have to "celebrate the community"! Why does this guy assume that people in my age group need to be talked down to? At this point, the conversation would be over, lest I play his own game, "You old people are just a bunch of washed up hippies!"

And that’s just the beginning. Our Mass needs to be more of a celebration! Of course, we have the Eucharist and that makes a huge difference—to you and to me—but not to some of the young people. Ok, the Eucharist doesn't matter to your kids. Why not? Because YOU, SIR, have watered down the faith! You didn't teach them that Mass is about anything besides feeling good, and THAT is why they don't care about the Eucharist!

This stuff makes me mad, and to be honest I would have simply told this person "you and I are not operating on the same wavelengths, and since you're not interested in having this church be Catholic, your input is not welcome." and ended the dialog there. At my last job I didn't understand why my boss bothered appeasing people who thought that Latin or chant shouldn't ever be used, but this guy is just way out in left field!

What's really horrible is that CONCERN OVER SIN IS THE HEART OF THE CHRISTIAN LIFE! Without our sin, Christ need not call out to us "follow me"! Without repentance, we have nothing to look forward to but Hell! This man is attacking the very foundations of Christianity.

He needs to be converted, not listened to.
  • GavinGavin
    In case it's not obvious, I'll restate that people like that really make me angry. And let me add that when you have GRANDCHILDREN, you lose your right to say what people my age want/don't want.
  • This old saw? Really. If we're going to be "hip and trendy," how do we do it? Use music the likes of Hannah Montana and the Cheetah Girls, or the Jonas Brothers? That will pass, then what? Change again? What happens to the hip trendy kids after they turn 45 and the music they think is hip and trendy is outdated, hackneyed and passe?

And while we're at it, why is it that the music alone must carry the burden of trendiness? How's about the priest opening the Mass with, "Yo dawg, Word . . . God's in the house, yo."

Ridiculous. These observations ALWAYS come from aging hippie-types who think they know what the kids want, but it's usually what they want in disguise.

As a friend of mine pointed out, music is a sacramental. We haven't "hippified" the Rosary, have we? We don't put fragrance in the holy water to make it more attractive? Why is it that music must always be the whipping boy of the Church's culture?
  • chonakchonak
    Alas, I know some people who often seem thrilled to hear a priest preach about sin, provided that the sins are ones that they are not likely to commit.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    I don't know. I don't think it'd get THAT out of hand trying to update the mass and draw in the young folks.

Do you?
  • Pes
    At the risk of sounding dated:

Gavin, you rock.

Well said. True, too.
  • GavinGavin
    David, the problem in this case is that it isn't the music alone. This person does not want the Kyrie, Confiteor, Penitential Rite, or any reference to sin in the Mass. And he's not alone. As I've said, we all know the Saint-Saens quote "When I hear sermons [in the style of the opera comique] I'll play that kind of music," but we've got those sermons already.
  • We're almost there, aren't we? When was the last time you heard a priest (or bishop for that matter) preach on the four last things? (I know you and others on this forum actually may have, but I haven't and most of my colleagues around here haven't, either. So, I'm just saying.)

You're right though, Gavin. I don't think some of us will ever be able to make serious headway in advancing good music as long as we have clergy that pander to the white-bread, pop-tarts, pre-fab, wash and wear, loose credit, plug-and-play mentality of the post-modernist types in the pews. If the priests don't make the connection, the PIP's won't either, and they'll go on asking for Mass-As-Entertainment experiences of church.

Meantime, I'm soooo glad the post Vat. II catechetical advances foisted on the most recent generations by the aging hippies have done so much to bring about the much-needed aggiornamento.

Bravo. Well-done.

Now give us back our Church!
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe we can learn something from the user-friendly Protestant services. We ought to give credit where it's due and try to identify what good those services do for people -- as a sort of scriptural catechesis, perhaps. There may be some way to accomplish the same good things in a Catholic setting -- perhaps in the Mass, but perhaps in some other service.
  • a1437053a1437053
    perhaps in some other service.

Amen to that.
  • regarding this type of problem I always go back to this quote from Fr. Christopher Smith. I find it encouraging and somehow it gives me the right "answers" to overcome objections. here it is, enjoy.

The Mass is not about us. It is about the worship of God. If it were about us, then we would
    be adoring ourselves, and putting ourselves in the place of God. The Mass is the re-presentation
    of the sacrifice of Christ in obedience to his Father on Calvary for the salvation of the world. It is
    not entertainment. Worship is not having an attractive emotional experience that I design
    according to my likes and dislikes. It is receiving the gifts of that Holy Sacrifice and uniting my
    whole being with the great hymn of praise offeed by the whole church. Religion is not about us
    and our feelings; it is about offering to God the praise which is his due.

by Fr. Christopher Smith, parochial vicar of St. Peter’s Church in Beaufort, SC.
  • An old saw, indeed, it may be; and tired at that.
    But consider the reality that this presumably elderly man (his grandchildren have CHOSEN to lapse) took the time to write a fairly well-known, mainline periodical with his concerns and (mis)perceptions. Now think how many folks his opinions may typically represent. As Jimmy Akens would say: "Mass confusion."
    Those of us who have found surety and sustinence in these blogs, CMAA, St. John Cantius, NLM et al, need still to remember that such people as that grandfather didn't come to their ignorance of their own volition. They simply floated in the tidewaters of whatever liturgical environment was prevelent at various points of their lives. Essentially the Church of "pray, pay and obey" didn't really change after the council. I am reminded of Mary Jane's accurate analysis of the PIP's groupthink article in SMusic of a year ago.
    I hope we all manage to both keep our eyes on "First: Worship," and then active charity in all our efforts to restore the sacred not just in the external aspects of our liturgies, but in the hearts of that man and his grandchildren.
    Can we, again, stop with the generational stereotyping?
  • GavinGavin
    I stand by the heart of my comments. This man (and those like him, we know so many) has a problem with the "fixation" on sin. That is a rejection of basic Christian principles: without sin, there is no need for Christ, the Incarnation, the Sacraments, etc. There was not a branch of Christianity before the 19th century that would accept people who think sin shouldn't be mentioned as fellow Christians. This man, and those like him, need evangelism. They need to hear the Gospel, because God knows it pops up as much in Catholic pulpits as it does at the mega-churches. And since he's not operating on common ground with myself (namely Christianity), his input into how I do my ministry is unwelcome. When I run into people like this, I evangelize. That's all you can do in that case.

(Edit) Charles, can you imagine someone saying something like that about your prison ministry? How horrible would that be, "We shouldn't focus on sin!" From what I've read of yours and other prison ministries, those men and women NEED an outlet for their repentence of sins, which they find in the Kyrie, Confiteor, Penitential Rite, Invitation to confession, and so on. Our Lord said something to the effect of those who are not ill have no need of a doctor. Again and again, this man says there is a problem with the Mass, but the problem is in fact with his refusal to acknowledge his own sinfulness.
  • chonakchonak
    It wouldn't hurt for us to think for a moment that our country should be treated as mission territory, and some forms of evangelization appropriate to mission fields may be suitable here.
  • Oh Gavin, I wasn't aiming or asking any retraction of POV from anyone here. We're on the same page. And your analogy of the mindset of a prisoner seeking repentence is particularly apt; our secular mindset of comfort and consummation has clouded our absolute need to experience the suffering Church, the Church militant, and the sinful Church. I think chonak's proposal is worth some examination.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I took a break and went back and read the letter in question. It's hard to know where to start. One very good point in the answer was this:

"Worship in any church can become superficial if it celebrates more the people who pray instead of the God who makes their prayer possible. At its worst, worship can become an inoculation against conversion rather than a stimulus toward it. That’s what prophets like Amos, Isaiah and Jeremiah complained about."

Down here in the ever-happy and positive-encouragement land of Florida this is a serious issue. Practically all of our church activities, not just the liturgy, are a celebration of middle-class values and our own specialness. Ministry accomplishments are endlessly celebrated in the bulletin and from the lectern. Everybody's doing just great. And if they have a momentary stumble, we have a support group for them (and maybe a prayer blanket). 45 minutes a week for confessions is more than adequate. And if, heaven forbid, too many people show up for confessions to finish in that time slot, the priest tells them to come back next week. They really couldn't have done much of anything wrong, could they?

All of these things hang together. Consequently, when we envision remaking the music from Happy Haugen and Haas to something better, we have to bear the environment in mind. It's not impossible, but "heck, your music is such a downer."
  • I would love to know how many Catholics have become confused by the American Church's message, which often says the right things (of the Catechism) but undermines them so deeply in its actions. When a parish tries to "liven up" the Mass it immediately begs a comparison with the Pentecostal worship service. The Mass has no chance to compete in regards to superficial emotion, sheer spectacle, and simplicity of message. It will always seem like a weak, pathetic emulation. But when the Mass is done reverently, professionally (in ceremony and music), and focused on the ritual, nothing is more powerful. The lackadaisical manner that some priests run through the eucharistic prayers makes me wonder if the host will jump off the plate and b**ch slap the priest to get his attention after the consecration. We have the treasure that everyone seeks. Why don't we understand that?
  • Pes
    We have the treasure that everyone seeks. Why don't we understand that?

It's too strong a brand image.

At least, that's what Sixties Types thought. Emphasizing our commonalities with Protestants was just the pretext the Sixties Types needed to start gutting the RC Church from the inside, so they started throwing everything RC overboard in a rush to "embrace their Christian brethren."

Naturally, Protestants were delighted. But did they change anything on their Protestant side? Did they become more RC in return?

(laughter) Of course not.

The whole game has been to undermine the RC Church, and the Sixties Types have done their work well.

But it will not last.

The hunger in one's heart for God's real presence is too strong, and the need to worship the transcendent divine is as strong as ever. They will see a strong young generation slip through their fingers like sand, and they will furiously rage.
  • GavinGavin
    Naturally, Protestants were delighted. But did they change anything on their Protestant side? Did they become more RC in return?

I think the facts paint a different story. Protestantism circa 1940 is VERY different from protestantism today. I recall reading an article by an Anglican convert to Orthodoxy who spoke of the "Novus Ordo religion" which infected not only Rome but Presbyterianism, Lutheranism, and Anglicanism through the common liturgy (as in the 1979 BCP). I don't agree with such sweeping conspiracy theories, but look at the facts: post-1960s Catholicism is all about how special We are. Post-1960s Anglicanism is about how special We are. Post-1960s ELCA Lutheranism is all about how special We are. You want to know what protestantism was while Catholics were busting out the guitars, Pes? The Lutheran Hymnal's service is nearly a translation of the Tridentine Mass. Same goes for the 1928 BCP. Away with your anti-protestant blame game, I say the old adage is true: when Rome catches a cold, the rest of the world catches pneumonia.

They will see a strong young generation slip through their fingers like sand, and they will furiously rage.

HA! HA HA! HAHAHAHAHA!! That's a good one, Pes! Most Catholics of my generation are just young versions of their parents, wanting to be entertained and not have anything asked of them. Out of the other Catholic organists I know in their 20s, I can't think of one besides me who admits no sacro-pop into the liturgy. I know one who plays in the "praise band" as well as doing organ, another who plays "City of God" with all the spirit of a Widor finale, and another who's a charismatic. Oh, and another played for the EF Mass while hating every minute of it because they didn't do folk music. I DO know many who view that stuff as the garbage that it is, but they're all protestant. (I would like to say that I have much respect for my contemporaries, most of whom are better than me at organ. We simply have different views on worship.) And the pew-sitters? Pes, everyone likes to be entertained, and once the "I can go to church for a variety show" spirit is out of the bag, there's no putting it back in. For my part, I question if church music will ever recover and I think we have to accept that we're coming down off the extremes of a paradigm shift in church music similar to that of renaissance polyphony or florid organum.

Mark my words, my generation will be worse than the baby boomers. Much worse.
  • Pes
    Gavin, I was "venting."
  • GavinGavin
    Pes: as was I! Vent on, I just don't think my generation will save much. And believe me, I would ditch the RCC in a heartbeat, but protestants are having the exact same problems except to a greater degree.
  • GavinGavin
    And lest I should be thought of as not valuing laymen's input, some valid suggestions are as follows:

"I think we're doing too much Latin/chant" (fair enough, we're not required to do ALL Latin or ALL chant, so it's worth discussing how much is within the range of the congregation to grasp and the musicians to perform)
    "We need to get children involved in the music" (this would be a legitimate expansion of music ministry)
    "We don't use (decent hymn) often enough" (it can be nice to know what people like)
    "I don't understand X" (so it's an opportunity for them to learn, if they're open)

And even things like "why do we do Latin?" or "Why can't we have contemporary music?" aren't so bad, as they represent teaching opportunities, assuming the person is really seeking a dialog and not making demands.

What I take issue with is when people try to argue, as this man does, from propositions that are not only outside the Christian faith, but OPPOSED to it.
  • chonakchonak
    This humorous video about praise'n'worship music is telling. Here a comedian turns contemporary Christian worship tunes into commercial jingles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYaTSbCGY50

The songs are plausible as commercial jingles, so I suppose they really aren't giving people a church service recognizable as a serious sacred act of worship, but rather a "light" experience of pop culture.
  • Gavin wrote:

"The Lutheran Hymnal's service is nearly a translation of the Tridentine Mass. Same goes for the 1928 BCP. Away with your anti-protestant blame game, I say the old adage is true: when Rome catches a cold, the rest of the world catches pneumonia."

I do not know enough of the Lutheran Service to comment about it.

The 1928 BCP was in no wise a translation of the Tridentine Missal; nor was the order of "Mass" set forth in the 1549 Prayer Book. Just about all Anglican Prayer Books up to the last round of revisions were re-workings of Cranmer, who compiled liturgies to express his own profoundly protestant theology. For political reasons he made them ambiguous, and patient of a Catholic interpretation quite at odds with his own. Throughout the following four centuries few Anglicans ever gave them an interpretation nearly so protestant as his own. The American Prayer Books of 1789-1928, influenced by the rites of the Scottish non-jurors, moved several steps in a Catholic direction, re-assembling a dismembered Eucharistic Prayer. No Anglican Prayer Book since 1549, however, has been nearly as Catholic as the American book of 1979. It was, indeed, and Anglo-Catholic triumph. In many places, e.g., Eucharistic Prayer II and the fixed postcommunion in rite I, receptionist language has given place to much more orthodox language.

Since Cranmer did not attribute much objective significance to the Eucharistic action per se, his liturgy revolved principally around devotional preparation of the communicants--hence the Collect for Purity, Ten Commandments, Exhortation, Invitation, Confession (laden with highly emotional language), Absolution, and Comfortable words. The 1979 Prayer Book reduced the amount of this material (in Rite II, at least) to a short confession and absolution.

The penitential rite at the beginning of the current Roman Ordo Missae is, perhaps, its most protestant feature. The penitential devotions at the beginning of the Tridentine rite, which were quite late additions to the Roman mass, were private devotions of the ministers, inaudible to the people at High Mass. The Confiteor recited by the deacon before the administration of communion to the people was part of a separate office for administration of communion. It was not even printed within the Ordo Missae. (The same can be said of "Ecce Agnus Dei... Domine, non sum dignus." Public confessions were a Reformation innovation. Only at the insistence of Paul VI was a confession placed at the beginning of the new rite. Most liturgists favored placing it before the offertory. In the "classic" (pre-Carolingian) Roman rite references to sin and repentance were largely confined to the orations (collects, prayers over the offerings, and postcommunions).

Personally, I would like to see the Confession of sin relegated to a bidding in the Prayers of the Faithful, (e.g., "Let us pray for ourselves, humbly confessing our sins, and beseeching almighty God to grant us true repentance, amendment of life, and the grace and consolation of the Holy Spirit. (Silence) V. Lord hear our prayer. R. And let our cry come before you.)

"As we prepare to celebrate the sacred mysteries, let us call to mind our sins," is not a traditional way to begin the Mass. Nor. in my view, is it normally the best was.

"Kyrie, eleison" is an acclamation that is not of itself penitential. Its use in Byzantine intercessory litanies show that it has not always been understood as penitential. In the traditional Roman rite, where it follows the introit, its context is not penitential.

A penitential emphasis is more characteristic of Reformation-influenced protestant worship than of the Roman rite.
  • Blaise
    "Wow! Talk about a downer! That really grabs your interest if you are a young person—or any person, for that matter! If you were in your teens, 20s or 30s, where would you go the next Sunday?"

I'm 25, and I go to Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church, an Anglican Use church which doesn't use that contemp garbage. Talk about your generation, not ours. Maybe you are the one who feels down when you go to Mass, and you infect your downness to the youngsters.

"And that’s just the beginning. Our Mass needs to be more of a celebration! Of course, we have the Eucharist and that makes a huge difference—to you and to me—but not to some of the young people."

No Eucharist, no thanks. I am NOT interested in substituting a service w/o the Eucharist and its prayers for the Mass on Sundays. Read this again: I am absolutely NOT interested in substituting a service w/o the Eucharist and its prayers for the Mass on Sundays. Not even a communion service. And most certainly not a "service" with somebody spouting out some kind of get rich quick message.

For the Lord has commanded the Church to offer the Body and Blood of Himself as our food and drink, and for us His servants to eat and drink of it. Is this a good enough celebration to you, to eat and drink of the flesh and blood of our royal Redeemer King, and quite possibly to tremble at the thought of it?

"Contrast that with how our Mass begins. After we open with a song written hundreds of years ago and played on an organ, the priest says, “As we prepare to celebrate the sacred mysteries, let us call to mind our sins.'"

The majestic sound of the organ is glorious and inspiring. A capella motets and introits would also be great.

You speak for your generation. You have absolutely no right at all to speak for mine.

I apologize for the tone of this message, but this one really grabbed me.