Anniversary of being raised to the rank of Cathedral
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Is there anything specified in any of the liturgical books about celebrating the anniversary of a parish church being raised to the rank of Cathedral?
  • BenBen
    Interesting question, we had the same thing happen in our diocese when we were split from what is now the metropolitan see.

Personally, I've never seen anything like this in the missal or pontifical, but that doesn't mean it's not there (especially in the pontifical, since I haven't used it as much as the missal).
  • BruceL
    I'd be interested in this as well. There's nothing I've ever found. The dedication of our church is on November 30: this year, it's getting trumped by Advent I.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Ours was dedicated on December 11... which is always a busy time.

Raised to the rank of Cathedral on Dec. 2, which is less busy of a time. It's also the 45th anniversary of this.

I've combed through a few things and haven't found anything on this.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I'd do the Mass of the Day with added motets such as Locus iste.

Definitely do "Christ is made" (WESTMINSTER ABBEY)!
  • Perhaps something along the lines of the dedication of a church/basilica?
    Would the propers for the Dedication of the Laeteran (November 9) be amiss?
  • Blaise
    I do not know what the liturgical books say, but depending on what the repertoire of your choir is, you may be interested in William Harris' "Behold the Tabernacle of God" (SATB).
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm only looking for into on the legitimacy of celebrating such a day. I searched the Missal thoroughly today and came up with nothing. Will move on to other books tomorrow and will post if I find anything.
  • I’d actually take a different tactic: since a cathedral is, by definition, the bishop’s church (with the bishop’s chair), use music for a bishop.
  • chonakchonak
    Here are the texts for the Common of the dedication of a church. They are prescribed for anniversaries.
  • Check this out:
    General Norms for the Liturgical Year and the Calendar
    http://www.romcal.net/norms.html

About half-way down the page, there is the Table of Liturgical Days According to Their Order of Precedence. I would think that this question would fall under #4 (within the cathedral church) or #8 (in churches within the diocese other than the cathedral).
  • ronkrisman
    A cathedral church is dedicated/consecrated by means of a liturgical rite that usually is celebrated by the diocesan bishop. But a church is designated a diocesan cathedral by means of a papal bull signed by the Holy Father. In most cases this would be the same bull which erects a new diocese. There is no accompanying liturgical rite except for the ordination and installation of the first bishop or, if he has already been ordained, only his installation as bishop.

At times a new cathedral is designated for a diocese if its former cathedral has been destroyed. Or a co-cathedral is designated if the see city is transferred. In either of these cases this is also done by means of a papal bull.

The bull(s) erecting a particular diocese and its cathedral is (are) normally displayed prominently within the cathedral itself.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    But in the "General Norms" - I assume the "dedication" refers to when the church (prior to its raise in rank) was dedicated as a church. It seems as though the calendar, and church, does not foresee celebrating the anniversary of the date of its raise in rank.
  • ronkrisman
    @matthewj: That's my understanding as well.
  • There's SOMETHING in the ordo about this, isn't there? I know that our (very BY. THE. BOOK.) bishop began insisting upon celebrating our Cathedral's dedication anniversary every year a few years ago. They change the readings and everything. I think the ordo lists the dedication dates as "optional solemnities in those parishes."
  • ronkrisman
    Certainly dioceses celebrate the anniversaries of their erection (which would usually coincide with the designation of their cathedral church). But seldom or never is this an annual observance. Rather, it most likely would be on the 25th, 50th, 75th, 100th, etc., anniversaries. I believe the Diocese of St. Cloud (MN) three days ago celebrated its 125th anniversary of erection.

Again, the date of dedication of a cathedral is not the same date as its designation as the cathedral.
  • I'm not sure about whether you are to celebrate the date of the dedication or the date of designation as a cathedral. Our cathedral was built in 2008, and the date of it's dedication is listed in our ordo as a feast day for the diocese, and as a solemnity for the Cathedral Parish. Did you check your ordo?
  • Liam
    "Our cathedral was built in 2008, and the date of it's dedication is listed in our ordo as a feast day for the diocese, and as a solemnity for the Cathedral Parish."

That's correct; titulars and patrons are treated similarly. The elevation doesn't get a space in the ordo.