The Practice of Organ in Alternatim with Chant
  • 8. As the texts that may be rendered in music, and the order in which they are to be rendered, are determined for every liturgical function, it is not lawful to confuse this order or to change the prescribed texts for others selected at will, or to omit them either entirely or even in part, unless when the rubrics allow that some versicles of the text be supplied with the organ, while these versicles are simply recited in the choir. - See more at: http://www.adoremus.org/MotuProprio.html#sthash.50NOBwoT.dpuf

I was recently asked whether or not it is licit to chant a Magnificat in alternatum with the organ during an Extraordinary Vespers. According to this quote from Pius X, it sounds as though most in alternatum practices were to be suppressed, "unless when the rubrics allow that some versicles of the text be supplied with the organ, while these versicles are simply recited in the choir." Can anyone direct me to where these rubrics might be? I want to make sure whether or not the Magnificat is included as one of the exceptions to this rule.
  • Well, as a matter of simple historical fact, between 1903 and the Second Vatican Council, French organists considered Tra le S to be pretty much a dead letter on the alternatim (note spelling) issue; and they kept up their alternatim practices anyway, in a manner which Couperin would have broadly recognized. Edward Higginbottom's chapter on this topic in The Cambridge Companion to the Organ is well worth reading.
  • Generally speaking, although there are different rubrics for OF and EF, the larger principles in force apply to both. In other words, there isn't a parallel universe where things are licit in the EF that are not in the OF. There are exceptions of course, but I'm talking about the larger ideas.

Alternatum as we understand it (replacing texts with instruments) is not licit (neither is the organ mass.) Why not do alternatum, but keep the text intact? Do it as interludes, but with the whole text still sung.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks to R J Stove for getting the method of performance known as "alternatim" correctly spelled, since my understanding is that the participle "alternatum" is not correct in this context.
    Alternatim
    A specific kind of antiphony, by which traditional chant alternates with newly composed polyphony, almost always using the traditional response as a cantus firmus. In vocal music alternatim is usually practiced for the verses of a psalm or canticle. In an organ mass, alternatim is applied to the ordinary and proper prayers of the liturgy, with organ versets substituting for the chant at certain traditional points.

The Wikipedia article on Alternatim points out that:
    A large amount of musical repertoire was specifically written for alternatim performance, with Heinrich Isaac and Charles Justin (1830-1873) as notable composers. Alternatim performance of the Mass was common throughout Europe in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries.

The Catholic church banned the practice in 1903 by Pope Pius X in Motu proprio. The practice did, however, inform the works of Olivier Messiaen who wrote pseudo-versets for his many liturgical organ works, especially his Messe de la Pentecôte (1950).

There is a good discussion right here at the Forum of Alternatim Mass in Practice.

• chonakchonak
    While alternatim works are excluded from the liturgy, they are still suitable for concert performance.
    Thanked by 2Ben BruceL
  • matthewjmatthewj
    My take is that it is very valid in places where it has historically been done. If you're suddenly made organist of a prominent French Cathedral - I'd say keep doing it. I wouldn't necessarily introduce it in the United States.
  • BenBen
    While alternatim works are excluded from the liturgy, they are still suitable for concert performance.

I was at a concert on Friday where that was done. It's a cool addition to an organ concert.
  • CharlesW
    Popes come and popes go. Blessed be the name of the Lord. In the meantime, ask the French if you want to know how to do it right.
  • The rubrics governing alternatim practice are found in the Caeremoniale Episcoporum, lib. 1, cap. xxviii, and - provided the text is recited (audible for at least those in the sanctuary) whilst the verset is played - they allow it.

IIRC, there is a document from the 1950s however - Musicam sacram I think - that seems to speak against this practice. If in doubt, the London Oratory did it the following way for Vespers Hymn in a service broadcast by BBC3: they played the organ versets as interludes after two verses of the hymn, which were sung alternately by men and women.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen BruceL
  • ...provided the text is recited...in the sanctuary whilst the verset is played...

Ach! 'Authenticity' seems to get ever more complicated!!!
    Um, does this mean that in performing de Grigny's Verbum supernum 'authentically', one needs not only a small schola to sing the even numbered stanzas (slowly, with a French accent, & with ornamented chant), but some other 'assisiting person' off to the side audibly reciting the words of the odd stanzas whilst the organ plays the versets???
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • I don't get how the organ or any instrument could substitute for parts of prayers during the mass of vespers. It can't articulate the text, which is kind of the main point of sung prayers... who wants half of a great prayer like the Magnificat?

Maybe it's a tradition in France. If so, it sounds like just another entrenched abuse- nothing particularly new about that. What's the reason for such a practice, anyway? If one is looking to feature organ as a solo instrument, there are plenty of options for that without omitting parts of prayers.

I'm with PGA- why not have both? Or interludes? Or, with Chonak, I think it's ok to use such pieces in a concert setting- some can be very nice in that setting.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Ben
  • CharlesW
    Some of the ones I have heard did not omit any text. The text was sung, then an organ "verse" then more text was sung. Overall, the effect was stunning.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I agree that could be stunning if the text was not omitted. If the text were to be rendered modestly, then overtaken by a lengthy "organ explosion", I suggest that formula is more appropriate on a concert.
  • In view of the comments just above, it seems that the practice of alternatim may be more well known amongst organists than others. This, then, is the alternation of lines of chant by the schola or choir and the organ in the ordinary of the mass, of verses of canticles and stanzas of hymns at lauds and vespers throughout much of Europe from the late mediaeval era and continuing in some places throughout the XIXth century and into the XXth. Besides yet lingering here and there in Catholic places, it is also alive and well amongst Lutherans (who are apt to think it uniquely Lutheran) in their hymnody. Alternatim performance of liturgical texts is derived ultimately from the ancient practice of antiphonal singing (as is chant and polyphony in alternation), the organ standing in for one of the antiphonal groups of singers. Presumably, whilst the organ is playing its verset the congregation are meditating on the respective text. These organ versets are often based motivically or in sustained cantus firmus style on the respective chant melos. As history unfolded its successive 'periods' the cantus firmus seems to have become less and less a feature. Much, much more could be said about this fascinating practice, which, with the right congregation can be a spiritual plus, representing, as it does, a highly refined mode of worship. (Too, I would answer to some above that using alternatim versets as mere interludes between select stanzas is not the same thing as alternatim, in which the organ substitues for verses or stanzas... which is not to say that there is anything intrinsically wrong with 'interludes'... or with alternatim.)

If any of you are in or near Dallas at 4.00 pm on Sunday the 26th October, you are invited to a recital I am playing on the new organ at Holy Trinity Seminary in the Dallas suburb of Irving. The recital honours the Trinity and features the gloria from Couperin's mass for parishes complete with chant and organ in alternatim fashion. Other Trinitarian works are Bach's kyries from the Clavier-Ubung, and a trio of trios on the Trinitarian office hymn, Immensa et Una Trinitas, by Gregory Hamilton, music director and composer in residence at the seminary. Other works are by Buxtehude, Tomkins, Tournemire, and Bach's great Fantasie and Fugue in G-Minor.

I nearly always program something from the alternatim literature on recitals. There is something compelling about this sacred conversation about God between singers and organ. Too, this was a near universal feature of Catholic worship for centuries and is one of several means by which the organ participated (not 'played at' - but participated) in liturgy, especially on great feasts. Other times the organ played within the liturgy in historical times included the playing of canzonas, or voluntaries, or ricercari, etc., between epistle and gospel or between the pro- and anaphora, or as short 'intonation pieces' giving the pitch for psalmody, motets, etc. (It would have occured to no one to give a pitch by just thumping out a [tacky] 'note': one played [improvised!] a relatively brief-but-artful tone- or key-setting piece.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    Maybe it's a tradition in France. If so, it sounds like just another entrenched abuse- nothing particularly new about that. What's the reason for such a practice, anyway? If one is looking to feature organ as a solo instrument, there are plenty of options for that without omitting parts of prayers.

I'm of this mind as well. I'm not sure how it makes sense for an inanimate object to proclaim a liturgical text. Yes, it's controlled by a human being. That doesn't make it human, or able to proclaim a text.

Nice at a concert, doesn't make a lick of sense liturgically.
  • ...doesn't make a lick of sense liturgically.
    Whereas listening to the florescent lighting after the Lesson and then hearing the blowing of a pitch pipe makes us feel we're not mere mute spectators.
    There are some quite practical liturgical considerations behind the venerable tradition, such as elegantly establishing the key, resting of voices when a second choir isn't available and fostering meditation (even homilizing) on the text. As for 'proclaiming' text I take it Ben hasn't yet had the (dubious) pleasure of hearing a 4 verse communion hymn as an unaccompanied organ solo.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm guessing that most people who object to this practice have never heard it done really well in a place that has been doing it for generations.
  • CharlesW
    Maybe it is relative. Perhaps the often impoverished and minimalist practices of liturgy in the U.S., reinforced by the archaeologism resulting from Vatican II, has made it seem like what we do is the norm. It isn't and wasn't. Liturgy in other times and places was made to be as glorious and magnificent as humanly possible. It was seen as a work divine in nature and intent, and no expense or effort was spared to make it outstanding. Now, we shuffle in, listen to someone mumble scripture and chant - chant if we are lucky - then stumble out the door as soon as possible. What's wrong with THIS picture?

The statement about those horrid pitch pipes is true. They have a nasty sound to them - kind of like a constipated kazoo.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I have never experienced this. And, in theory, it sounds like a bad idea.

But there are a fairly large number of liturgical practices I would have objected to "in theory," until I experienced them in real life and suddenly understood their value.
    (And a number of GOOD IDEAS that just don't work.)

I have no dog in any fight about this practice, and I know very little about it beyond what has been stated here - but I do think it is an interesting example of the disconnect between tradition and theory, and the importance of living within a tradition before making theoretical pronouncements about it.
  • CharlesW
    I will go with this alternatim any day. Hurray for the French and d*mn the Italians if they object.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDqL6pjpjY
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Well, Adam. I have experienced this. in fact, I've sung Choral Evensong with the Magnificat sung in alternatim (as well as the Nunc dimittis) ... with this magnificent organ (when it was only about a year old). Of course, the congregation was encouraged to meditate upon the verses played on the organ.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • If I might express a reservation about the "organ Mass", I've never seen an organist play while kneeling, and reducing the time an organist kneels is like reducing the time ..... well, I'm not in favor of reducing the time an organist kneels -- so I don't have people jump on the image and drag the thread off-topic.

I continue to think that choirs should kneel for the Sanctus, (the Mysterium Fidei if they sing for an OF Mass) the Agnus Dei and the Communion Antiphon. Not only can it be done -- I've both seen it done, and led it -- it doesn't diminish the quality of music when done properly and it allows all of us to spend more time on our knees.

• CharlesW
    Kneel? Oh yeah, that is something Latins picked after the middle ages, despite the fact that the Council of Nicea said Christians are to stand with the risen Christ.

No, my choir doesn't kneel for those parts of the mass mentioned above, and they are not going to, either. Neither will I kneel while playing, which would destroy my pedal technique. Besides, I am getting too old for the constant getting up and down.

Alternatim, as I know it is a part of French culture, making no less sense than some of the nutty things we are told to embrace as part of enculturation - whatever that means. It seems it means whatever goofy position is being advanced at the moment in contemporary times. Organs were consecrated for the service of God in France, and their voice was considered consecrated speech. With the Protestant over-emphasis on the importance of text that has, I think, been blown way out of proportion, the French practices probably do seem strange in today's culture. Nothing wrong with holding God's word in your heart and meditating on it silently instead of speaking it. Alternatim is a French thing, and I don't object to it.

• Alternatim is not a French thing, it was once near universal, as the Caeremoniale Episcoporum attests. And this is what the Catholic Encyclopedia says about this:

According to the present legislation organ music is allowed on all joyful occasions, both for purely instrumental pieces (voluntaries) and as accompaniment. The organ alone may even take the place of the voices in alternate verses at Mass or in the Office, provided the text so treated be recited by someone in an audible voice while the organ is played. Only the Credo is excepted from this treatment, and in any case the first verse of each chant and all the verses at which any liturgical action takes place — such as the "Te ergo quæsumus", the "Tantum ergo", the "Gloria Patri" — should be sung.

By liturgical action here the verses are meant at which the choir is to genuflect or bow.
  • Notwithstanding the above, the typical custom in past times (present times?) was/is for the organ to play the odd-numbered verses of canticles and stanzas of hymns, and for the schola-choir-congregation to sing the even-numbered ones. This being relative to canticles and hymns of the office, not always to the chants of the ordinary at mass, particularly in cases such as gloria, which would be intoned by the celebrating priest.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • The Council of Trent did ban organ Credos, of which G. Cavazzoni's are probably the last examples. Isaac wrote many alternatim Credos for choir which were intended to be completed by organ verses, though nothing would now prevent their use with plainchant instead.
  • ghmus7
    I can say that being in a community where the gospel canticles are sung twice each day, in a couple of weeks all have memorised the texts. Alternatim mostly took place in these communities where the two main canticles had been totally memorised and sung daily for ever. So there was no sense of having half of a magnificat, because nobody needed the texts at all. The organist was free to improvise something fitting and according to the affect of the verses, because he or she knew that the cong be them monks or whoever had the words imprinted in their minds. The organist, if he was skilled could "illuminate" and expand on those texts as they were being prayed.
    I belive that the process started when liturgies multiplied beyond what choirs could handle. There needed to be a way that the texts could be performed in a musically interesting way without a choir...It is a cost-effective and easy way to execute the offices- all you need is an organist and cantor. That may be why it lasted so long.
    I also think that the French revolution killed the form. After the . Long hiatus of music in the French church, musical style had changed, and composers were struggling to find new styles. People complained that the styles of those organists were far removed from the verses they were supposed to illuminate.
  • I continue to think that choirs should kneel for the Sanctus, (the Mysterium Fidei if they sing for an OF Mass) the Agnus Dei and the Communion Antiphon. Not only can it be done -- I've both seen it done, and led it -- it doesn't diminish the quality of music when done properly and it allows all of us to spend more time on our knees.

I don't know where to begin. The organist, nor choir, should be kneeling when presenting music. And to do so, even if one can, strikes me as quite ostentatious unless the choir is in fact sitting in the pews among the congregation.
    Thanked by 2Gavin dad29
  • PGA,

If one is in a choir loft, no ostentation is possible. If one stands when everyone else is kneeling (unless, of course, you're in a parish in which "standing through the Communion Rite" is mandated) surely this is the exact opposite of ostentation.

Why would the choir sit among the congregation?

Aside from some viscerally allergic reaction, what do you and Charles have against the practice? As I said, organists don't get the chance to kneel nearly enough, and since kneeling is a posture of adoration ( the modernist re-telling of the situation not withstanding) surely it is good to adore Our Lord?

God bless,

Chris
  • BruceL
    Would not the priest have recited the ENTIRE text in the preconciliar vespers, or would that just be for the Mass?
  • At least one cathedral choir I know DOES sit in the pews with the congregation. They simply turn and "face in" to the main body of the cathedral when singing. In a case like that, it makes sense for them to kneel with everyone else so as not to draw attention to themselves.

If you are in a loft it's VERY ostentatious. It is a public show of piety for the sake of showing how good and holy one presumes to be, even if such a show can be only observed by each other.

I'm not against kneeling - and it is the prescribed posture of the congregation at certain times during the mass. But it makes little sense for a choir in a loft - and certainly not an organist! - to do it.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    I am busy at the organ during mass, could conceivably kneel and get my creaky knees back up to play the next item on the agenda if I chose to do so. I do not so choose. At the diocesan level it has been stated that there are three options at mass - kneel, stand, or sit. All are permitted and are equally valid. Why sitting? Some folks are not in good enough shape to kneel or stand. I am in a loft where the congregation doesn't see us. I allow my choir members to do any of the three approved options. As long as they are ready to sing at the appropriate times, I have no complaints.

Aside from some viscerally allergic reaction, what do you and Charles have against the practice?

I have nothing against the practice, I just view it as an abuse that developed years after what was prescribed behavior in the earlier church. Why it developed is beyond me, since there was never a good reason to turn a celebration of the risen Lord into an act of penitence.

Besides, it drives the Tridentines crazy if I don't kneel. That's worth its weight in gold. LOL.
    Thanked by 2PaixGioiaAmor Gavin

• Besides, it drives the Tridentines crazy if I don't kneel. That's worth its weight in gold. LOL.

This.
  • BruceL
    Have any of you stopped to consider that perhaps people (even musicians, as amazing as that is) associate kneeling with prayer? I'll hang up and listen...
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • People associate folding your hands together with prayer as well. That would be a useful posture for a performing organist, yes?

I used to say that I'll kneel when God heals my knees and back. Now I kneel as much as I can, and maybe someday God will make it easier on me. You grow...
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • SalieriSalieri
    I have nothing against the practice, I just view it as an abuse that developed years after what was prescribed behavior in the earlier church.

In the East, Stand (if you can).
    In the West, Kneel (if you can).
    Done.

Eastern practice is not better than Western practice; Western practice is not better than Eastern practice.

This reminds me of the Pierogi Ladies arguing about the cheese/potato ratio for the filling: "My Babcia did it this way!" "Well, my Mamusia did it this way!"
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Spriggo
  • CharlesW
    I was told the regulations are, as I mentioned earlier, stand, sit, or kneel in the Latin church. All three are acceptable. In the east we stand, but pews (a Protestant invention, I am sure) are placed around the walls for those who can not stand through a 3-hour liturgy. Beware, however, if you look perfectly healthy. The eastern grannies will give you dirty stares and think you are a slacker. ;-)
  • As far as I can tell, the practice of organ alternatum is no longer liturgically legal. However, it wouldn't be wrong to play a short verset in the same tone as the chant to give the choir a bit of a breather. In many modern pieces for Choir and Organ it is not uncommon for there to be short periods where only the organ plays.
  • dad29
    Nice at a concert, doesn't make a lick of sense liturgically.

As I recall liturgical theology, the Word is primary, period.

There's a larger question here, having to do with balancing music against the totality of the Mass; it's related to using rests in the music itself. Music (or poetry) without rests is inconceivable.

But it certainly is French; I once worked for a French-native priest who insisted that the organ be played during every single 'hole' in the Mass. He didn't get his wish; the Mass should not be smeared over with .........stuff.
  • dad29
    However, the above applies to typical parish Masses, not ultra-events complete with deacons, sub-deacons, a battalion of altar servers, (etc.) That is to say, there is a time and place for everything.

And Charles, why do you claim that Word-primacy is 'a prot thing'? Ratzinger claimed that (truly) sacred music 'enfleshes' the Word. Chant melos is typically built upon the meaning of the Word it illuminates. Large choral works of the masters also utilize word-painting to one extent or the other, particularly when using sacred text.

Prot? Really??
  • CharlesW
    What I was getting at, is that Protestants over-emphasize the "word" because they don't have sacraments. They emphasize what they have, not what they don't have. Given the ecumaniacal tendencies in the Catholic church since Vatican II, we probably try a bit too hard to ape what the Protestants do.

BTW, the French are quite knowledgeable about Catholicism. They should be. They have had a long time to work on it.

• CharlesW
    [portion of this post deleted by admin]

On the "word" thing, it seems we are scriptured to death since Vatican II with all the extra readings. Michael Davies used to joke about Ogg begat Yig who begat Ugg, or something similar. Some of the extra readings have little or any importance or relevance.
    Thanked by 3Salieri Gavin CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    At most Masses I attend the Liturgy of the Word is actually longer than the Liturgy of the Eucharist. BAN EUCHARISTIC PRAYER II NOW!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Salieri,

Un-purple that comment!

God bless,

Chris
  • chonakchonak
    [Somehow a few users went awry and posted a series of derisive off-topic comments about peoples of various countries. I deleted them and also a couple of inoffensive comments based on them. Please recall the simple dictum of the Forum Guidelines: "Be polite." -- admin]
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen R J Stove
  • PhatFlute
    What is unpurple mean?
    Many thank you's.
  • SalieriSalieri
    When a text is in purple it means that it is meant as a joke, so to 'un-purple' it means to remove the joke, i.e. to take it literally as a serious comment.
  • CharlesW
    True Alternatim:

Choir 1: You started it!
    Choir 2: Did not!
    Choir 1: Did, too!
    Choir 1: Pfffffftttt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F0hWcDBhpY
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    True Alternatim:

Choir 1: You started it!
    Choir 1: Did, too!
    Choir 1: Pfffffftttt!

Or:

Side 1: Anything you can do, I can do better....
    Side 2: No, you can't...
    Side 1: Yes, I can...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO23WBji_Z0
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • PhatFlute
    Antonio, many thank you's!