Searching for Bass & Alto additions to choir
  • I thought I would put this out there to see if I can find any experienced singers in the Dallas TX area that would jump at the chance to be able to sing quality renaissance polyphony at a Catholic church?
    I have to state that these would not be paid positions, but we really do have excellent choirs that are all-volunteer, and a fast-growing music program here at the parish in Irving TX.
    We sing a lot of Victoria and Palestrina, and this choir rehearses on Sunday after the 9am High mass. This smaller choir does NOT sing for every Sunday liturgy; more for high feast days.
    So if you know anyone in this area who would love this opportunity (and is Catholic), maybe they already have a church job, but would love to do this on the side for their own enrichment, or know any singers who have moved here, please send them my way!
    Thanks!
  • Examples of music this group sings: Victoria's Officium Defunctorum; Missa Brevis & Missa Aeterna by Palestrina; Missa O Magnum Mysterium (Victoria) and various motets along the same vein, ranging from 4 - 6 parts.
  • Ooooooooh. If only you weren't a few states away . . .
  • I love going to Mater Dei. I'm a tenor, so I don't know if you could use me, but I'll send anyone I know your way.
  • ghmus7
    Dear Kimberly:
    I would suggest you contacy Marilyn Walker who directed the music program at UD for decades. She has a long time community choir that has sung polyphony for years. I don't have her present email, but call the UD music dept.
  • gmus7,
    As far as I recall, UD disbanded their music dept. and Marilyn Walker is no longer there. I have one of her previous pupils/Collegium singers already in my choir now, and I would have to say that sadly, I don't seem to have much luck getting college students to come sing or want to sing and be committed. I need a couple singers who are more committed.
    I might be able to find someone that has Marilyn's email, but it could cause a bit of a rivalry problem if I am asking for singers and they already sing with her group (they still sing, just not at UD.)
  • Around here basses and altos are a dime a dozen. I'm sure you could convince some of them to relocate somehow. Be nice if we could have some tenors and sopranos.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Sounds like you should organize a National Chant League draft and get some free agents!
  • CK, tell me where you're finding these fabled altos!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW