Clean-looking Salve Regina
  • I've lost the link to the GABC/Gregorio Salve Regina and other chants that someone somewhere had the kindness to format. I suppose I could re-do it, but hopefully that won't be necessary.

Anyone have the link, by chance?
  • OK! Thank you!

Now, is there a homepage for these files I can save? We'll need the Ave Regina Caelorum sometime soon as well, and the others as appropriate.
  • RevAMG
    I usually use GregoBase to search for GABC files.
  • This book has all the simple Marian antiphons with running English translations http://www.brandt.id.au/music/hymnbook/

and a new edition is due out soon - with imprimatur and everything :)
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • There is a fabulous resource that will generate a splendid number of chants:
    \ http://stceciliacathedralmusic.org/?p=434 (introductory page)

The default is the Propers tool, which will generate Sunday propers (in either Form) and some feast day propers; a Psalm Tone tool, which will generate any psalm in simple or solemn tone; a Readings Tool that does the same thing with readings; and a GABC Transcription Tool, which opens with Adoro te devote as its default. You can export the GABC or a pdf or in several graphics formats.

Between playing with this tool and using the original LAtex generator that started all this, I can get almost everything I want if I want a clearer printing than a snapshot from the Liber or Mass and Vespers et al.

Thanks to everyone else who pointed out the other resources as well.
    Thanked by 2bonniebede JulieColl
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Oh, that is a nice introductory page for the Propers Tool at romanliturgy.org. They also have a Psalm Tool that is quite useful.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • How does Ben Yanke get his to look so nice, with the different formatting, &c.? Is it possible to do that sort of thing messing with the Propers Tool?
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Ben Yanke does it because he is a genius, and I don't even know him. I'm betting he was home schooled.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for these links, and Ben's edition is awesome. I watched Jeff Ostrowski's video and have been experimenting with the Gregorio Chant Engraver that Chonak hosted on his website and can't believe how easy it is to crank out amazing-looking chant. I made some very easy chant for my beginning chant class, and it was so much fun, I had to pull myself away or I would have spent all day on it yesterday.

P.S. As an aside, thanks to Patricia Cecilia for what I believe is her transcription of O. Jaeggi's Salve Mater Misericordiae. I found it on the forum archives the other day, and it is a real winner.
    Thanked by 2bonniebede CHGiffen
  • For clean and simple scores of the Marian antiphons, check out these on the Institute of Christ the King's Sacred Music page (been there for years - may have to scroll down a little). However it is indeed fun to figure out how to make your own stuff!
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • BenBen
    Hi all!

My edition was created using the illuminare interface for the two scores separately, then final layout completed in Scribus, including adding all the text not directly part of the score.

And of course I was homeschooled :)
  • Hah. I knew it.
  • (Julie, you're welcome--the Jaeggi arrangement is amazing, especially when sung legato and deliberately introspectively (but not as a dirge :-) so that the harmonies can fully ring. I was so fortunate to find a scan of the manuscript and then figure out how to contact the website owner and get permission to transcribe it.)
  • ronkrisman
    Patricia Cecilia, I'm curious about what you write. A website owner who posts some music for which he does not hold copyright is in no fashion able to give someone else permission to transcribe it.

Since a number of things composed by Jaeggi were published by WLP in the 1960's (and those copyrights will not have expired), I think you should write to them about this important matter of the copyright to the piece. If they do not hold it, then perhaps Annie Banks in the Netherlands does. But I would be reasonably certain that the music is still copyrighted and is not in the public domain.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for the point, Fr. Krisman.

In posting scores to the Forum, please do observe copyright.