Organ Accompaniment for Canticle of the Sun
  • TCJ
    I'm being required to play Canticle of the Sun where I work because it is a "catchy tune" and maybe the people will sing it (yeah right!). Anyway, this written accompaniment for it is for the piano, and the music isn't the same as the sung melody in all parts. Due to this, it's much more difficult to sing while playing the organ, and that's something that I, unfortunately, have to do quite often. It's problematic to say the least.

So, I was wondering something... have people ever taken these types of songs and re-written the accompaniment into four parts, much like a typical hymn? You know, one in which people can listen to the organ and actually know how to sing it! Would it be considered copyright infringement to do so? It would be solely for my use.

Or, perhaps, there is such a thing that already exists?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Your instincts are correct, TCJ, avoid playing this on an organ (without a guitar or piano along or the ride), or even a simulacrum ;-) using an organ-like, string or pad voice.
    Certain 3/4 or 6/8's can translate to organ alone, but this Haugen ain't one of 'em. If TPTB insist, I'd use tremulant as well and totally go for the merry-go-round effect, AKA mighty Wurlitzer. Maybe then they won't ask anymore.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • TCJ
    Not playing it is not an option. I already expressed concerns about some difficulties and got the response, "then you just have to practice."

Also, there is no piano or guitar around (thankfully!) to try it on.
  • When I have a hymn I can't easily do on organ (or if I have to do something on piano but hate the accompaniment), I usually just kind of fake-book it with the guitar chords and melody line. It's the only way I got through "Companions on the Journey" one harrowing time. I think that'll work here.
    Thanked by 2Gavin canadash
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Agree. Play the melody and follow the chords. Fake-book style on this worked for me back when I had to do that business.
  • TCJ
    I can do it that way... it just irks me any time a pastor has an organist (something some churches would love to be able to afford) and doesn't really want one. Plus, it seems so cheap.
  • Plus, it seems so cheap.

Oh, it is. But when practice time is limited, I have other stuff I'd rather learn, and I'm willing to bet no one will notice anyway, it's the road I'd rather travel. Plus, if I ever want to take a side job at a piano bar....
  • "Gather us in" has a similar problem. My solution to it, for what it's worth, was to play it on stops designed to make it sound as if we were in the court of Henry VIII.

There's another possibility: acknowledge that it's not written for organ, and is therefore badly played on it. Play what's there, persuasively demonstrating that it is designed for some other instrument. When congregations can't sing it when you play the accompaniment as written, propose to TPTB (as Charles calls them) that there are options, but playing it this way isn't the one they want. Then, the ball's in their court.

I tried this with a wretched piece called City of God. It starts almost sluggishly, as if waking from slumber. I didn't get a request for it, ever again.
  • ronkrisman
    Was "Canticle of the Sun" in some planning guide (OCP or GIA?) for this weekend? Because it was used at the parish at which I substituted over the weekend (copies of OCP's BB were in the pews).

The organist played the piece quite well on the organ, but the two eighth-sixteenth-dotted eighth measures in the refrain were each changed to 3 eighth notes, and some of the sixteenth notes in the verses were also changed to eighth notes. (The PIPs seemed to be accustomed to these changes.) This eliminated most of the "cutesy" elements I find in the piece.

I disagree that one needs piano bar chops to play this piece well on an organ. Rather,one needs good organist skills so it does not sound like a calliope.
    Thanked by 2ryand BruceL
  • I can't help with the original question, but the following may be of interest to some -

There is a beautiful and very simple setting of St Francis' canticle at no. 307 in The Hymnal 1940. The tune is Assisi, which is very chant-like, not at all unlike Jesu dulcis memoria, and just as easy! It is a verse translation by Howard Chandler Robbins. I recommend this to any and all. Children love it!

(Oh: it can be accompanied by the organ, but is really quite effective as an unaccompanied chant-like tune.)
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • ryandryand
    ronkrisman's observation is a good one. I have (after hearing others do it) had pieces like this work ok on the organ if the melody's rhythms are "softened," and using the fake-book method of accompaniment. You can use a guitar accomp if available (they'll usually have chord symbols written), write the chords out yourself, or if quick enough at it just discern the harmonies from what's written. I like doing it that way, because if there's some characteristic line (bass or sometimes inner voices) in the original accompaniment, then I can still include that, but make an organ-suitable accompaniment on the fly.

And then inversions and new harmonies and all that fun.
  • TCJ
    The organist played the piece quite well on the organ, but the two eighth-sixteenth-dotted eighth measures in the refrain were each changed to 3 eighth notes, and some of the sixteenth notes in the verses were also changed to eighth notes. (The PIPs seemed to be accustomed to these changes.) This eliminated most of the "cutesy" elements I find in the piece.

While practicing it today, that's pretty much what I did. It'll work out. Since the congregation is completely unfamiliar with the piece, I don't think any of them will notice the changes. I'll probably be the only one singing anyway, even after several weeks of playing it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Since the congregation is completely unfamiliar with the piece,

I guess asking "Then... why?" wouldn't be helpful...
    Thanked by 2Liam matthewj
  • Liam
    Frankly, it's a rare congregation that sings those silly 16th-dotted 8ths (almost as rare as congregations that sing Be Not Afraid as written). I think I've heard it done "right" once (you need a really dry (think...carpeted) acoustic to pull it off convincingly.) I am totally in favor of disregarding compositional twaddle like that. (Just like I am totally in favor of congregations adding ornamentation to the final lines of Holy God We Praise Thy Name even when their printed resource doesn't - if only we could get congregations to reinsert Beethoven's anticipated rhythm in the bastardized version of the Ode to Joy that afflicts most (but not all) hymnals and all missalettes. Marty Haugen's twaddle is not the equal of Beethoven's; actually, Canticle of the Sun and the Ode to Joy would make good compare/contrasts in that regard.)
    Thanked by 1richardkfitzgerald
  • francis
    (rant) the words 'good organist skills' and 'canticle of the sun' do not go in the same sentence. period. and anyone that thinks so, deceives himself about understanding the term 'sacred music'. plain and simple, it is pop schlock... can it be 'played' on the organ? yes, with sincere pain. should it be played on the organ? only a hammond in a coffee house accompanying a guitar... (with 60 year old hippies in the audience) NOT in a liturgy. any serious organist/composer from antiquity would laugh hard if they heard this trying to be passed off as church music. (/rant)
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • eft94530eft94530
    with 60 70 year old hippies

Fixed.