Chant Notation for the Mass for Pilgrims and Travelers?
  • expeditus1
    Where does one find the chant notation for a priest who would be saying the "Missa pro peregrinantibus vel iter agentibus?" (Mass for Pilgrims and Travelers.) I have the notation for the Propers, but our priest needs notation for the Readings/prayers. Is there a resource for priests which contains notation for these extra votive Masses for various occasions?
  • chonakchonak
    The tone formulas for readings and collects are specified in the Graduale Romanum. There is a book of Gospels in full notation (from CMAA), but for the rest, you may need to write things out for the occasion, or learn to use Gregorio for on-line chant typesetting.

The prefaces, or most of them, are notated fully in Ordo Missae Cum Cantu.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • expeditus1
    Chonak, which CMAA book are you referring to, which has Gospels with full notation?

I did see the following post on the St. John Cantius website: "The complete settings of the Orations, Epistles and Gospels for all Sundays, Solemnities and each day of Holy Week (1962 Missale Romanum) have now been published by Biretta Books, Ltd. under the title of Canticum Clericorum Romanum (Roman Clerical Chant). Future volumes will include the Sanctoral Cycle, Votive Masses, and the Commons." I wonder where that project is currently at, in its development.
  • chonakchonak
    http://musicasacra.com/wpcproduct/evangelia-cantata/

By the way, I checked the Ordo Missae cum Cantu (1995); if there is a special preface for that Mass you mentioned, it's not in there.

But hang on -- is this about an EF Mass? I haven't found this in the OF.
  • expeditus1
    Yes, chonak, I should have specified it is for an EF Mass.

This whole business of uncovering one stone at a time (and exposing my ignorance) keeps me humbled.

I had read that the Mass for Pilgrims and Travellers was revised to include refugees?
  • chonakchonak
    OK. The books I referenced above were for OF, so scratch all that.

The 1961 Graduale Romanum has the tone formulas. You can do the work of writing out the readings and collects in full, and after some practice, the priest may be able to apply the formulas to the readings without a score in front of him.
  • MatthewRoth
    For future reference, Michael Ozorak, the original compiler of the chants now contained in the CCR and published by Biretta Books, can do chants on request if they are not already on the website of Windsor Latin Mass (windsorlatinmass.org) He'll give you both tones for the prayers, all 3 Gospels, and the Epistle (of course you could always tell him which Gospel and oration tones you need...).
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • expeditus1
    MatthewRoth, much gratitude to you for your response here. I was able to get in touch with Michel Ozorak, and he so graciously offered to do this! He has already begun working on them.

Thanks to all of you forum members who take the time to share your expertise with the askers of dumb questions, like myself.
  • I want to again thank MatthewRoth for his post above. Because of his referral to Michel Ozorak, we were able to have our pilgrimage High Mass yesterday, the Missa pro peregrinantibus vel iter agentibus. Mr. Ozorak did the chant notation for us, and as God would have it, yesterday's Mass was offered for him.

Our pilgrimage was to St. Anne's Chapel in the village of Plain, WI. Tuesday is a day of the week dedicated to St. Anne, and Sept. 9 is also the date that Eastern churches celebrate a collective feast of St. Joachim and St. Anne, the day after the Nativity of the BVM. I could not have asked for anything more perfect, in terms of weather, or all the details of the pilgrimage. The priest began with the blessing of the pilgrims. On the steep hike up the hill, we prayed the Stations of the Cross, the Rosary, and sang 17 verses of the Pilgrim's Hymn to St. Anne. Two young men did the labor of pulling up the wagon carrying the Mass vestments, all the liturgical implements necessary for the High Mass, and my keyboard. When we reached the stone chapel, children filled the 6 pews, and our children's choir stood in the back; it was so beautiful to witness this. The children did a wonderful job on the music, including the Liber Propers. Those who couldn't fit into the chapel had brought chairs and blankets with them, and the church's main doors were opened wide so that all who were outside could see and hear. After Mass, we prayed the Litany of St. Anne and a Consecration prayer. On the descent down the hill, the group sang the 17-verse Lourdes pilgrimage hymn, stopping at the Lourdes shrine on the way, to say a prayer. When all had returned, the priest gave a final pilgrim's blessing, and then it was picnic time.

Another Catholic memory for these children.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Michel is a great man and wonderful singer.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1