Is reading and singing chant fluently a basic skill that Catholic Church professionals should have?
  • Kathy
    ...And if they don't have the skill, what are some ways, besides a full immersion program (CMAA chant intensive, Solesmes week, Colloquium) that could help them to gain the skill?
    Thanked by 2Ben Ralph Bednarz
  • WendiWendi
    Catholic MUSIC professionals should most certainly have this skill.

Some ways besides full immersion to acquire said skill would be reading the many relevant documents on this site, listening to the vast array of audios available on CC watershed and youtube, and practice. Lots of practice. It may not be as good an option as the full immersion method, but it's much better than nothing.
  • CharlesW
    I can read chant and learned how many years ago. How many times have I needed to read chant, as in neumes, in my OF parish? About zero. As for singing, I did that in my younger days. There is something to having the good sense to know when to stop - at least as far as solo singing goes. Choir singing I can still do, but I am usually playing and directing at the same time. So, is reading chant fluently a basic skill Catholic musicians should have? It doesn't hurt to have it, but you may never use it. Depends on where you are.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Andrew Motyka
  • kenstb
    Kathy, you pose a great question. I think that it is important for a professional musician employed by the Catholic Church to be fluent in chant, but I am not convinced that it is essential in most of the parishes we work in. In my area (NYC) there may be many people making music in the church, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them professionals or liturgical musicians. I would love to see musicians who can read and write music at all, but that isn't necessarily the case here.
  • donr
    to answer the question is yes, it is a basic skill that Catholic Church professionals should have.
    However the reality is that most don't.

It is important to educate ones self.

Wendi gave some great ideas.
  • kenstb
    donr, I don't disagree that one should have that skill. The question I added was whether or not it is essential to get the job done. I see many folks working every week in parishes in my diocese who do not have a musical or liturgical education and still manage to serve in their parishes quite nicely.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    While I think it is a basic skill that Catholic Music Professionals should (ideally) have, the reality is that probably only a minority of such professionals actually have it. And, among Catholic Musicians that are paid to be such, the numbers seem to be exceedingly small.
    I see many folks working every week in parishes in my diocese who do not have a musical or liturgical education and still manage to serve in their parishes quite nicely.
    Exactly.
    Thanked by 2kenstb dad29
  • It is an absolute waste of time unless you:

1. Have a TLM Mass to direct.
    2. Have a pastor that wants chant.

In fact, it can actually be detrimental. Otherwise you have to be very, very quiet about your interest in it to keep everyone at the parish from even knowing that you like chant - like the African priests who come here for work who will put up with about anything as they are guest workers here, but quietly might mention to you on the sly that he misses the Latin Mass back in Africa.

In today's Sheep Attack Times, anything can be used against you to get you fired. Including referring to the GIRM...and referring to any documents with their Latin names. Of course, even letting on that you know the documents can forever and irrevocably damage your position with the pastor.

I'm with CharlesW.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • francis
    yes
  • Yes!!!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    And I concur with CDub. The only reason I put forth the Kelly English Propers is because we have three plus years with Adam's SEP, Bruce Ford's AP's, and Rice's Communio's. Do I think it's important? Hell, yes. Do I think it's mandatory? I don't get to make that call.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    I use chant, but I have round note editions of everything we use. I have already been told to never give square notes to the congregation, so I don't.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • donr
    We use only round notes but I teach a chant class every Saturday morning to a few people including our pastor.

I am slowly moving the ball forward, hopefully in a few years we will have decent schola and sing for a Mass.

Is Chant necessary for a new DM to know, NO! but it should be a requirement that they become educated in it as soon as possible if they do not know it.
    Church musicians should be Catholic guilted into learning the church docs and learning the music of the church GC.
  • GavinGavin
    The ability to sight-read chant is useful if you sight-read chant at Mass.

If you sight-read chant at Mass, PLEASE STOP. The music deserves for you to take the time to learn it and do it well.
  • Short answer: yes, of course, as the Church in her directives repeatedly asks us to employ Gregorian chant.

The sad reality is that is it not needed many places, because those in charge don't care or don't know how to use the bulk of our treasury of sacred music.

The hopeful reality is that chant is slowly recovering it's place in many areas (not all!), and so someone who reads and sings chant is in a good position to get some choice jobs. This person who lives and breathes the chant is much more likely to teach it quickly and render it beautifully, so fluency means a more effective worker for the parish, cathedral, etc.

As far as sight-reading during mass, that would likely cause a lackluster delivery of the sacred chant for the most seasoned singer. But that's not what Kathy is taking about anyway.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • There is something very disappointing in the views about this matter that are defined and based on utility. Knowing chant and how to read its notation is one of many aspects of sacred musical knowledge for which anyone who considers himself a church musician would have an unquenchable thirst. We have become like the worst of our detractors, the sacro-pop crowd and others, when we judge value as a thing determined by what is utile. Part and parcel of our calling is to know the gamut of our musical patrimony and to lovingly teach it to our choirs and people. And, if father says 'no', that is a hurdle to be overcome which says nothing about the enriching value of that knowledge to the choirmaster himself and to those who do want to learn.

Heaven forbid that any of us should set as the limits of our musical love and knowledge the appetites and tastes of those who balk at anything that, thanks to fifty years of cultural destruction, they haven't seen before. Most of our grandparents or great-grandparents could read square notes by the time they were in the fifth grade.

We are not merely teachers and practicioners of what everyone will sing or learn, or what is utile! We are the guardians of our musical patrimony.
  • francis
    yes
  • I think Noel makes a good point, too. If you need your job and you are skilled in the chant, but the powers that be are hostile, it may be best to keep it under the radar. Pray hard, keep singing, ask the Holy Spirit to open doors and be ready.

If folks are slightly phobic but not fully resistant, you are in an ok spot.

I'm going to quote Jeffrey Morse again, and say that "we need to be missionary about spreading the chant". It's our sung prayer as Catholics, and we can all find small ways to help our brothers and sisters recover this treasure.

It's been my experience that some if not many Catholics of every demographic can learn to own the chants proper to them. And that they recognize the timeless treasure of our sung prayers.
  • MJO, it's true that the standard shouldn't be based on utility. Agreed 100%.

IMHO the reality of laziness and ignorance is one we need to resist, pushing back with prayer and our best musicianship and innovative ideas. When the powers that be don't want chant it is a heavy burden to be endured by the faithful church musician, and I just wanted to acknowledge that.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    THANK YOU MJO. If I only learned what the clerics required of me, I would have lost my Catholic faith decades ago.
  • bonniebede
    Over here there are (practically ) no such thing as Catholic church professionals except priests. Of course they should know chant, and be taught it in the seminary, it is necessary to be able to sing the Mass in one of the two forms they are supposed to be able to make available in the Latin rite.
    Consider that someone who is blind requires special dispensation to be ordained, due to their inability to read the words of the rites. Similarly, someone who is unable to read the rite due to illiteracy would have to be taught and show themselves to be able to read before being ordained. Further there is a requirement in Canon law to be able sufficiently versed in Latin so as to be able to conduct the rites in Latin, as that is the basic language of the Latin rite.
    If the rite is written to be sung (and it is) and the music to be sung is to be read in neumes ( and it is) the reading chant is a most basic requirement.
    But ranting aside, I notice there are church musicians here who would do more with chant if they had the ability to read it, and a rudimentary education on what they should be doing, such as is found all over CMAA. So I' agree - we need to be missionary in sharing whatever we have been given with regards to chant. There is no 'they' that should be ensuring chant has its proper place. There is only us. What we have been given we should share, as much as is possible.
    I appreciate that sometimes one must be prudent and keep ones head down. But teach the children. Even if it is only one chant hymn, say for a special occasion. They are the coming revolution.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Good discussion, thanks everyone.

Gavin seems to be a little hung up on "sight-singing," as if the interview question were meant to demand a performance quality reading. I should clarify. If we asked an organist in an audition to sight read an anthem, we wouldn't expect a performance level result. We would expect fluency, that s/he can read the page, has done this sort of thing before, and after a little humming and doodling round and adjusting registrations, can pull off something reasonably musical.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Regarding the usefulness of chant in a non-chant world, while agreeing with the sadness of the situation, I take MS 52 to be saying that having a strong background in chant is useful when coming to approach all kinds of music. I would agree with this. Living in the chant, whether it is sung publicly or not, forms the entire musical sensibilty.
    52. In order to preserve the heritage of sacred music and genuinely promote the new forms of sacred singing, "great importance is to be attached to the teaching and practice of music in seminaries, in the novitiates and houses of study of religious of both sexes, and also in other Catholic institutes and schools," especially in those higher institutes intended specially for this.[37] Above all, the study and practice of Gregorian chant is to be promoted, because, with its special characteristics, it is a basis of great importance for the development of sacred music.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen bonniebede
  • GavinGavin
    I can agree with Kathy's clarification above!
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    To answer the original question posed, yes it is, generally speaking. If an individual doesn't have it, they should try to make strides towards it.

But, referencing the other thread, I don't think that this ability should be a major criteria in hiring.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Yes. But the question is tendentious. Catholic music professionals should have that ability because chant is the direction we should be moving in. If a particular parish never moves in that direction, a DoM's skills or lack of same are irrelevant. But if the DoM doesn't have those skills, that parish never will move to chant (at least not under his direction.)

Likewise with the exigent definition of sight-reading. I am a pretty good sight reader. I don't think I could sight read either chant or polyphony and guarantee an accurate, let alone musical, performance. (I've done it, because Stuff Happens, but it always merited but never received hazard pay.) But the ability to have 99% of notes in place on the first go is essential for doing any kind of sophisticated music in any reasonable rehearsal time. And one should be able to do that with any notational convention one consistently encounters: square notes, 4/2, mensurstriche, whatever... if there were any reason to have a choir singing white mensural notation, sight-reading it would be a requirement. (Why not? Palestrina did.)

And as we know, 99% accuracy in reading is not a level that's generally commercially available.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Should, should, should. I certainly hear that a lot. Should is not so relevant if you lack the resources to do the should. I think that "is" makes a much better starting point. Maybe you can build it into something much better, or maybe not. It may reach a point where the law of diminishing returns takes over and that will be about as good as your program will get. A lot of variables at play here.

BTW, I have never been able to sight read Widor. ;-)
    I am a pretty good sight reader.
    500 x 340 - 142K
    Thanked by 3Kathy Ben Gavin
    Just kidding!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here are three anecdotes from my personal experience with singing on short notice.

The first time I sang the Durufle Requiem (and the only time that I sang the entire work), I was a "ringer" called in the day before the performance to sub for a singer that had come down ill. I had only the pre-performance warm-up/rehearsal (about 30 minutes) as preparation. Did I sing flawlessly? No. Did I sing well? I think so. The performance was very well received.

The first time I sang, as an alto, "And the glory of the Lord" from "Messiah" was on a Sunday at church, eons ago, when the choir director, Robert Simpson (from the faculty of Westminster Choir College), arrived at church to discover that some virus had virtually wiped out his soprano section and most of his alto section. Two of the three altos sang the soprano part, while I joined the other alto singing the the alto part. Of course, I had heard the alto part often enough, but to jump in and sing it cold was quite an experience, as I was only then just beginning to develop a countertenor ability with my voice. Again, I did not sing flawlessly, but at least Bob was pleased with the result.

I learned the Bass solo part for the Bach Cantata "Wachet auf ruft uns die Stimme" and sang a performance in just over a week, with one rehearsal. And in that performance, I managed to sing flawlessly. However, I was somewhat taken aback that the Soprano soloist, who greeted me at the rehearsal with "I hope you aren't one of those helden-baritones who drowns everyone out" (which I am not, although I could) and sang beautifully with appropriate volume at rehearsal, proceeded to sing the performance as though she were singing Brünnhilde, while I maintained appropriate restraint (and didn't elbow her in the side). The director was most appreciative for my composure and sensitivity in not letting the performance get out of hand.

As a (then) professional mathematician but not a professional (although well trained and serious) singer, I generally acquitted myself well in all singing situations when curve-balls such as these came my way. In such situations, it has helped that I have been a good sight singer from an early age. But none of this sight singing ability is an adequate substitute for careful preparation and rehearsal, no matter how professional a musician one is.

• Jeffrey Quick
    sOK, so was I :-)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • kenstb
    Very interesting points of view. While it may be commendable for a liturgical musician to be familiar with neumes and able to render chant melodies on request, I still think that we make a grave error when we enter a parish environment with an agenda. We are not the guardians of the musical patrimony of the Roman Catholic Church. Pastors are called to teach and sanctify congregations. We are working musicians who desire to share what wisdom we have acquired while still managing to eat every day. Part of that wisdom is the fact that not everyone is moved by the same musical experiences. When I work with a choir, my hope is to open their hearts to the wide range in styles of music available to them, and then to guide them slowly towards the long history of plainsong in the church. It is also most important to recognize that the people we serve need not agree with our personal musical tastes in order to be taken seriously. It is also imperative to make music for the people who are actually listening to us, rather than the ones who think as we do.

There may be parishes which have a long tradition of plainsong, but in my experience, these are few and far between. For most of my colleagues and myself, we walk into a new parish and spend a lot of time teaching the forces at our disposal how to make the most of the talent and music available to us. We are also (for the most part) answerable to a pastor who may or may not love the chant. As far as what we teach, it is a mistake IMHO to push any particular style of liturgical music upon a congregation we intend to serve. I try to reach the singers where they are right now.
  • chonakchonak
    Isn't it possible to both work with singers where they are and also strive gently toward the Church's ideals?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Isn't it possible to both work with singers where they are and also strive gently toward the Church's ideals?

Yes, yes, and again yes! ... or at least it should be so.
    Thanked by 1amindthatsuits
  • BenBen
    We [musicians] are not the guardians of the musical patrimony of the Roman Catholic Church. Pastors are called to teach and sanctify congregations.

Thanked by 2Adam Wood dad29
  • SalieriSalieri
    ALL PROFESSIONAL MUSICIANS should have a grounding in Gregorian Chant, since it's effectively the basis for Western Music (Sacred and Secular/Serious and Folk)

HOWEVER: from a purely practical standpoint, Catholic musicians should probably have a working knowledge of the Guitar before venturing forth into Chant if they want jobs and to make money. Just sayin'. If you do have training in Chant don't work for the Church; you'll almost never use it.
  • kenstb
    Ben, I get your point. I don't necessarily disagree with it, but the ceremony of installation for pastors specifically calls the pastor to that duty. We teach because the pastor has deputized us to do so.
    Thanked by 1donr
  • donr
    Catholic musicians should probably have a working knowledge of the Guitar before venturing forth into Chant

And must be able to play it like Joe Satriani who uses all the modes extensively.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Chonak, yours is my basic line of thought, too.

Obedience in fostering the sacred music of the Church is not to be confused with an agenda per se.

To push back on Kathy's very basic question seems odd to me. So the chant is ignored many places? So is the Church's teaching in any number of disciplinary and even doctrinal matters, such as belief in the Real Presence...

We musicians are not directly responsible for souls, in the way a pastor is. This is true. However, when the development of a sacred music program is entrusted to us by the pastor, we are responsible for that which is delegated to us.
  • kenstb
    MACW, the important part of what you just wrote is that we are responsible for that which is "delegated to us." That means that we are not independent in all of the decisions we make. What I am reading in some of these posts often omits the fact that we don't work in a vacuum. Perhaps in other places, one can impose his/her idea of what is the best kind of liturgical music upon a parish. In my area, things don't work that way.
  • francis
    Obedience in fostering the sacred music of the Church is not to be confused with an agenda per se.
    THIS

As far as being delegated and responsible for educating the faithful, well, this day and age, that can also mean the clergy. If done in a respectful and ALWAYS submissive manner, I have found that educating the clergy is also one of our jobs as DoMs in the RC tradition.

No one ever said we should work in a vacuum, or promote our own agenda (or the church's for that matter) apart from a pastor and his ideals and direction. That will never work. But we shouldn't just ignore the truth of the matter when it comes to sacred music.

Often when I am doing interviews I take the opportunity to educate the interviewing committee on sacred music. This has had surprising and eye opening results and can have a significant impact on who finally gets hired. Never shy away from what we are called to promote... excellence in sacred music.
  • kenstb
    I don't think that it is fair to conclude that because one does not find the reading and singing of chant to be essential to carrying out this ministry that we are shying away from anything. If we twist the meaning of what people say, fewer people will be willing to listen to what we have to say. It is in just such straw man argument that I see what I call an agenda.
  • An agenda to do what?
    Fulfill what the Church is asking of us?
    Not sure what you're getting at, but willing to listen.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • francis
    kenstb

An agenda comes with an attitude. If your attitude is to serve the parish, the pastor and all those who Christ puts in front of you, then there is no agenda. I have had great success transforming music programs into truly good programs of sacred music. Be kind, humble, gentle and never insist on your own way, and people will be coming up to you and asking you for direction. A good leader inspires and directs without coercion, force or bullying. A good leader sets the example and then waits for others to follow.
  • kenstb
    The point is that we each work in different conditions. Perhaps you see promoting the chant in a parish as fulfilling what the church is asking of us. I don't. In my situation, I have been asked to provide music for a parish which has no such tradition. Make no mistake, I enjoy chant as much as any of you, but with all due respect, it is much more urgent to create an environment where the people who attend mass with me are open to experiencing liturgical music which they may not have been exposed to before. I don't see that as failing to fulfil what the church asks of us. If you do, then you are entitled to your opinion, but that would not work here.

Francis, I wonder why you would address your last paragraph to me. I have no need to be educated about an attitude of service. I have been serving quite nicely for forty years. My point is that there is not a single point of view or a single side which is valid with respect to the question of whether the reading and singing of neumes is a necessary skill. You may disagree with me, and you have a right to, but that does not mean that I am wrong.
  • francis
    kenstb
    Francis, I wonder why you would address your last paragraph to me.

Simply because your last paragraph was an answer to my previous paragraph. (i.e., i mentioned shying away, and you picked up on the subject in your next post)
  • CharlesW
    I read many posts by Catholics who appeal to our common heritage of chant and polyphony. We don't have that common heritage anymore and it has been gone for nearly 50 years. Many of these folks who pine for the pre-Vatican II church are either too young to have ever seen it, or are converts from Protestantism who hold romantic illusions about a Church that never existed anywhere except in their own minds. Some are just dabblers who are obsessed with chant today, and will be dabbling in something new tomorrow. Fortunately, some are more serious in their intentions. It is quite likely that if you take a DM or organist job in the "average" Catholic parish you will be starting from scratch with people who have no idea of anything that existed before them. Square notes are the most insignificant and inconsequential of a new DM's problems unless he luckily lands in one of the few places where the past still has value.
    Thanked by 1kenstb
  • chonakchonak
    Well, gosh, if dusting off my guitar and getting new strings for it will make it easier for me to get some extra work, I oughta do that. I still have the Glory & Praise accompaniment books somewhere!
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    CharlesW said: Square notes are the most insignificant and inconsequential of a new DM's problems unless he luckily lands in one of the few places where the past still has value.
    Well, I would surmise then that one won't land anything but dreck.
  • CharlesW
    The world is going to end so don't worry about it. ;-)

BTW, I am one of the lucky ones in a good parish.
  • As long as the Church still calls for a restoration of the chant, and says Gregorian chant has pride of place, and the liturgical chants are sung (alongside other music) during papal liturgies, etc., etc., I can't see how it's dead and buried and all that. That doesn't make sense.

It may be neglected in my area, or yours, or in fact tons of places but that doesn't change its relevance in the wider Church.

If you are in a situation where chant is restricted for whatever reason, that's understood. But why deny that it is still upheld as the music proper to the Roman rite? The documents of Vatican II, and subsequent ones, make it pretty clear.

Those who can heed that call, like myself, are doing so. No reason to put down or dismiss our work.