2015! - Colloquium Duquesne Univ.: Quaeritur
  • SalieriSalieri
    I don't know if anyone can help me with this, yet (I don't really want to pester Janet or Arlene, though those are probably the people who could answer this):

Does anyone of the CMAA Illuminati remember what the cost was for the last Duquesne Colloquia? - I'm determined to go next year, and want to start budgeting, ASAP. Is it likely (based on past experiences) to be more or lesse than SLC or Indy?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    What are the dates for next year?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It's usually substantially less if you stay in the dorms, but I recommend staying in the hotel across the street.
  • G
    Im not home yet, but when I am, I'll see if my credt card statements have the figures.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • rollingrj
    Let's assume for purposes of this discussion the registration fees will be the same as Indy ($550-660, the range from early bird to late, plus any of the special requests).

While I didn't stay there, there was a hotel near the Church of the Epiphany (next to the old Civic Center) which some people used. IIRC, the room rate was $110-120 + tax. There was an option to stay in the dorms; however, I don't remember the rate.

Airfare (RT SLC-PGH) was+/- $550. YMMV.

Using these numbers, my best guess would be starting around $2,000, plus whatever spending money you would like to leave in the Steel City. About the same as I was figuring for Indy. And since I live near SLC, I can't compare that total cost to either of the more recent cities.
  • WendiWendi
    From everyone I spoke with it is likely to be less.

A bunch of us already plan to stay in the dorms. Personally I didn't do much more than sleep and shower in the room this year, so I'm perfectly content with the dorms...that gives me more to spend on books, food and wine. Just sayin'.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Personally I didn't do much more than sleep and shower in the room this year, so I'm perfectly content with the dorms...that gives me more to spend on books, food and wine. Just sayin'.

That was my experience, too. I just hope that you don't have to buy crappy cheese or nuts to have a glass of wine in Pittsburgh! (Only reason why I wouldn't want to live in SLC!)
  • BenBen
    I'd love to see the price for next year too.
  • BruceL
    Mine this year came pretty close to $2k and I was splitting a room with a colleague. It should be pretty easy to get a hotel downtown Pgh for cheap. One of the Indy colloquium attendees this year made a last minute decision to attend, but the Sheraton was full. He Hotwire'd the Hilton for $62/night. Not bad!

The big thing I think most of us want is the lunch (or A meal) provided daily. Of course it saves money, but it is also a great way to meet people. I wasn't planning on asking for a per diem for Indy, but I had to once I found that out: my meals (and this is after subtracting "beverages") were $175. I didn't even eat at St. Elmo's *cough*matthewj*cough*.
  • TCJ
    Expenses this year, for me, came to around $1020. Had I not joined the CMAA and purchased a few books, expenses would have been lower. If you're wondering how I managed what I did, here are the keys that every skinflint would have needed to keep it cheap:

1. Live 2.5 hours from Indy.
    2. Have a car that sips gas.
    3. Rent a room outside of Indy and be willing to travel 20 minutes each morning.
    4. Bring and/or purchase food at a store.
    5. Opt out of the farewell luncheon.
    6. Sign up for the Colloquium well in advance to get the early bird special.
    7. Avoid people enough so they don't ask to go out for dinner!

Note: Expenses for two years ago in Salt Lake City came to around $1700 for me. Traveling across the continental U.S. dips into the budget a lot more!
  • SalieriSalieri
    Well, if you're going to do five & seven, why bother going?
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • TCJ
    Seven is a joke. Five was an extra amount of money ($35?). I found PLENTY of opportunities to speak to people without going to that. If it's so necessary, why would the CMAA make it optional?
  • CharlesW
    Those national meetings do get expensive and I have learned I can't reasonably go to all the conventions I would like to attend. I could spend a couple of thousand on one of those, but there is no way the parish will reimburse any of it. Then there is always a driveway needing repaving, a deck to be replaced and/or any of the the other joys that go with home ownership. I don't even attend the AGO nationals anymore because they are over-priced. I can usually go to the regional conventions for less, and tend to get more out of them anyway.
  • G
    My feeling is that the closing luncheon is delightful, but not necessary, and that it is optional because so many people need to leave as quickly as possible after the final liturgy at which they sing.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • BenBen
    I split a room 3 ways and drove, and it came to just a tiny bit over $1k. Gotta love not having to deal with airline tickets :)
  • canadashcanadash
    The dorms were fine. Simple but fine and cheap, which I appreciated.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    alternate title for this thread: "Indiana wants me, but I can't go back there".
    Thanked by 2chonak Andrew Motyka
  • chonakchonak
    I imagine the closing brunch was listed as a separate charge out of acknowledgement of the fact that quite a few participants have to leave Saturday or even Friday.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    At least $3K if'n y'all from CA. Prolly more when we tally up for Uncle Sam and Lois Lerner next year.
    And now I gotta rent a scooter for Pitt!
    Andy, I will miss Indy, tho'. Hoosier hospitality, like Abp. Tobin declared, is real, and they know how to portion out adult beverages properly there, unlike other locales.
  • I won't pretend that I'm not disappointed, but I understand how these things go.
    Thanked by 2BruceL CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    Salieri...I opted not to do the bar thing. The wine is horribly overpriced, not usually of the greatest quality and it can get loud which my ears don't appreciate.

The alternate option, which several of us took, was to go to a store, buy our own wine, and very tasty nibbly foods, and hang out together in someone's room (usually Darling and Dearest's as they were rooming together.) It was much cheaper, tasted better, and we could talk in a peaceful environment.

If they don't provide lunch next year, (and quite honestly it doesn't bother me if they don't) might I suggest that those of us wanting to be frugal plan ahead of time and bring coolers? That way we can picnic together and have time to visit, but it doesn't place more of a burden on the organizers to plan the logistics of yet one more thing. I pretty much did that this year, except for on Saturday. It was great. I had complete control over the quality of my food, and didn't have to worry about it.
    Thanked by 2gregp StimsonInRehab