Priest wears a hood instead of a biretta?
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    At the colloquium, there was a Mass celebrated by a priest wearing a hood instead of his biretta. Does anybody know what the meaning of this is? Is the priest a concescrated member of a religious order, or an abbot, or something? I've just never seen that before.
  • CharlesW
    Certain eastern monastics wear them, but I can't imagine one would have been there.
  • BenBen
    Getting the head covered and proper times is the important part, not nessicarily what covers it (though that's not to say he can use a baseball cap... Keep reading...) For diocesan priests and many religious, the head covering is a biretta, the standard headcovering of the roman rite, but if he has a hood as part of his habit, he uses that instead.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    So if the priest is ALSO a member of a religious order wearing a habit that has a hood, the hood replaces the biretta.
  • tomjaw
    We have a Benedictine with us at the moment, and he uses his cowl / hood instead of a biretta. We have had another Benedictine with us and he also used the cowl / hood.

Dominicans also have a hood/cowl.

But Norbertines / Augustinian Canons use a white biretta.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    Clerget,

Exactly. The hood replaces the biretta.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Father is Capuchin Franciscan, and one of the smartest friars I've been privileged to meet, confess to, and listen to an ideal homily. And he gave me his satchel!
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • JahazaJahaza
    For diocesan priests and many religious, the head covering is a biretta, the standard headcovering of the roman rite, but if he has a hood as part of his habit, he uses that instead.

As tomjaw points out, not all religious use the hood as a head covering. The hood of the Norbertine habit, for instance, is vestigial and too small to use as an actual hood.

The Carthusian hood is attached to the scapular and since the scapular is only given to the professed and not to the novices, they don't have a hood and wear a biretta instead.

The Dominicans also have a biretta used in academic contexts by Masters of Theology, but it is not used liturgically.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • kenstb
    I'm so happy to read your comment, Melo. We need more great clergy who truly get it.
  • G
    Was that a brilliant homily, or was that a brilluant homily?
    A great man...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yes, period.
    Back finally in CA at 1:20am PST.