Choir/Schola Rehearsals
  • soli
    Good evening, everyone! I am just wondering if any of you with more experience and training as choir/schola directors would offer suggestions on running rehearsals. It seems that we pray, do a couple of warm ups and then it's so difficult to rehearse more than a few things before the hour is up (or overtime). Perhaps I am getting stuck in the mud. How do you plan your rehearsals to meet your goals and balance more difficult/long term repertoire with what you might have to prepare for this Sunday that is more familiar?

Thank you in advance for any comments. If you also have any patterns of vocal warm-up that work for you, I'm all ears. Thanks again and may God bless you all!
  • GavinGavin
    Perhaps you are taking too long for warm-ups. You might consider devoting, say, 5 minutes to warming up, and dedicating yourself to getting right to work. More pointers of how I run rehearsal (although I admit I'm young and mostly go on what I've seen work for others) :

- PLAN THE REHEARSAL OUT! Know what you're going to do, and have the order you'll do it in. In fact, plan 2 or 3 at a time. If you have long term goals, figure out when you'll teach what.
    - As for the order, start with warm-ups of course. But in the body of the rehearsal, begin and end with music that the choir already knows (or is incredibly easy). This will help confidence. I also liked to alternate easy things with difficult, or different challenges. For example, with my last choir I might have something difficult in English followed by a Latin chant followed by a difficult English metrical piece followed by an easy Latin metrical piece, etc.
    - If you are still having trouble with getting things done, I would recommend setting strict time limits. For example, you might schedule 5 minutes for warmups, 5 for Sunday's communion, 10 for the offertory for a few weeks away, 10 for Sunday's Introit, 15 for the next Introit, 5 to take a look at the following week's communion, and then use the time left to sing through again Sunday's Introit. And be strict about cutting things off, and tell yourself that if you can't get it rehearsed in the time allowed, it won't happen. It will help discipline you to get things done in less time.
    - Don't just do all the same warm-ups. Think ahead: what do you need your group to do? Do they need to sing high? Do they need to master consonants? Good vowels? Fast singing? There's no point in warming them up to an A when the highest note they'll sing all night is a D!
    - Minimize chatter. Particularly non-parish scholas can get sidetracked with arguments over baroque vestments, treatment of the salicus, or other silly things. Keep the energy up and keep it moving!
  • soli
    Dear Gavin,

Thank you! Great points - very helpful. I need to plan better!
  • Gavin, that's excellent advice. I for one do get stuck on the same warmups. Gotta vary them.

Since I have men and women at the same rehearsal (until I find someone to work with the ladies), I will send the guys off for 15 minutes to work on some things (led by my best chanter) while I work with the women.

I always end with the Marian antiphon of the season. They sing it well and leave happy.

Don't worry, though. If you are dealing with non-professional singers, it will take time to get chants learned and then polished. We don't even consider a weekly service for that reason. My folks sound pretty good when they do a Vespers or a Mass, but we practice a lot for them. The guys are getting quite good at sight-reading chants, since they are mostly good singers to begin with.
  • I use that Chanted Litany to St. Cecilia as both my prayer AND warmup. i don't spend a lot of time warming up, because in the reality of singing an OF mass, there is a lot of down time where your voice cools off, and then suddenly its time to sing the Credo . . . ready or not, here it comes.

So I rehearse with that reality in mind and pretty much dig into business within 5 minutes. I start with the Kyrie, then Gloria. They are warm by then and we can move onto polyphony or the alleluia or whatever is more demanding.
  • We did one hour for years until we all realized that it frazzled us. We needed and wanted more time. We expanded to 1.5. Huge difference! No more panic and rush and frenzy. Just the right amount of time.
  • G
    Wow, it never occurred to me that anyone would only rehearse for an hour...
    Seriously, I'm amazed.
    I feel like a slacker because in my current position we're only doing an hour and a half during the week (then 45 minutes before Mass on Sunday.)
    By the end of November it'll be 2 hours on a weekday evening, and then we'll have double up and rehearse 2 evenings a week going into Christmas.
    Same thing leading up to Triduum.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Ours is 90 minutes as well.
  • Ideally, we would rehearse every day. Even better, 4 times a day!
  • mjballoumjballou
    We rehearse for about 90 minutes. After a bit of bodywork and breathing, I work on tone, legato, whatever is driving me nuts as the warm-up - and I always take a phrase or pattern from something we are or will be working on that evening with the text removed. I alternate new pieces with older ones, polyphony with chant, and am very aware of when I'm moving into "diminishing returns" on a given chant. Because I don't have to crank out propers for a Sunday Mass, I can set the pacing to suit my singers. I am also aware that I'm not working with professional musicians.

We never sit during rehearsal - it's all done standing. As a matter of fact, no chairs are available. I do have a written plan for the rehearsal and try to stay with it. (This can, of course, be thrown off entirely if a particular singer is missing.) I watch how I run my mouth and also work hard to prevent side bar conversations where singers exchange misinformation with each other. I want the wrong answers to come from me! Heck, I'm the director.

Does all this work? Sometimes. I like the idea of finishing with the Marian antiphon. Think I'll add that next week.
  • G
    "We never sit during rehearsal "
    Hmmm.... it is 37 steps up to our loft, then another three onto the risers.
    Between artificial knees, hip replacements, and long days at work, if my choristers make it to the loft, I'd understand if they wanted to rehearse recumbent.;o)

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • incantuincantu
    Ideally, we would rehearse every day. Even better, 4 times a day!

You know, someone should come up with a plan for systematically singing all of the psalms and canticles every week, while at the same time covering all the important hymns throughout the year. That would really keep up on our toes.
  • Carl DCarl D
    We practice for an hour, which sometimes stretches to 1:15 if we're running behind. I tend to be a real stickler for starting on time, which rewards the people who are conscientious and gives some peer pressure to those who walk in late (at the FRONT of the room!)

At the Colloquium this year I learned that we can structure our warm-up exercises around a particular issue we need to work on (Duh!) and that has helped the warmup to be more interesting and useful. After that, we sing an easy familiar hymn, and then move on to the harder stuff.

All along the way, I make clear which points I expect people to work on during the course of the week (every person gets a practice CD, so no excuses) and then I make sure to check up on those points at the next practice.

We're able to do one Mass a month (with 3 practices) pretty comfortably. When we tried to do a Mass every other week (with 1 long practice and one warmup) last year that was a real challenge. It meant we couldn't do any significantly hard songs.
  • I find only skill-oriented and problem-solving warm-ups to be useful. The type of scale and diction warm-ups that many choirs use promote apathy and bad technique more than they contribute to healthy, musically-engaged singing. If your warm-ups are the same all year, you're wasting valuable time! I find that in most circumstances, singers need (1) aural rather than strictly vocal warm-ups and (2) a way to focus mentally. From this perspective, the college and community choirs I've been associated with have typically wasted a lot of time. Directors and teachers often teach in the same ways as they were taught, even if they don't know precisely why. We owe it to ourselves, our singers, and our churches to know the purpose of every minute of our rehearsals.
  • This is an extremely useful thread.

Darth, you mention the Chanted Litany to St. Cecilia. Is that the one Frogman Noel composed or another version?

Mary
  • I think it's noels - I found it right on this website . . .
  • mjballoumjballou
    I agree with Daniel Bennett Page about the need for aural warm-ups. The vast majority of singers don't realize that their ears are actually more important than their mouths. (You can always run the old saw about God giving us two ears and one mouth by them.) If you can teach people to listen to each other, you will have a much better sound and a singing experience that is infinitely more enriching for the singers themselves.

The issue with that approach and the amateur schola/choir is that people just want to bang out the music. You have to overcome their past experience with warm-ups that they perceived as a waste of time. And tell them that the quality of the music is more important than either quantity or complexity. (And of course, most directors are under pressure to conquer vast amounts of music in small amounts of time.)
  • soli
    Thank you everyone for sharing your wonderful and helpful comments! They are all so interesting and I hope to make some improvements in our situation. Thanks again!