Summer Choral Conducting Workshops ?
  • I am hoping to find an intensive one- or two-week choral conducting institute/workshop this summer.
    Unfortunately, because of my non-church employment, August won't work for me, so I'm specifically looking for a June or July program.
    I would particularly like to find one that emphasizes chamber and/or early repertory rather than large-scale works.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm definitely not a beginner, but I have learned my technique 'on the street'.
  • miacoyne
    I went to Westminster Choir college in Princeton, NJ for a couple of summers. They have very good conduting workshops in different levels. You can go on line and check out the summer program. James Jordan, who is in charge of the conduting program is also very big in solfege. Learned many good warm-up excercises, vocal techniques and rehearsal techniques.

I met a priest and some parishioners from your church at the Chant workshop in VA with Scott Turkington a couple of weeks ago. The workshop was very inpiring.
  • Thanks for the information.
    I'm really glad you went to the workshop: I didn't want to go and take a place that would be filled by someone who had never been.
    I know exactly whom you met: really good folks.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Scott is amazing.