Liturgy Plans??
  • So here's my dilemma: as the music director, I've been tasked by the pastor to help two "liturgists" with doing the weekly liturgy. As it happens, these "liturgists" are no Liturgists. After showing them exactly how to read the Missal and where to look, they still don't understand.

So...does anyone have (or know where to find) any liturgical weekly/seasonal/solemnity 'templates' of sorts that I could just give them to make this whole process easier and allow me to concentrate on what I was hired to do, MUSIC!? At least I think it was why I was hired...!? :) Anything that the shows all the parts of the Mass (music/non-music) and special 'activities' for each Mass or special Masses. (e.g. presentation of the oils, lighting of candles, etc.)
  • G
    As it happens, these "liturgists" are no Liturgists. After showing them exactly how to read the Missal and where to look, they still don't understand.

I feel your pain-- don't have any templates to offer other than the Missal itself. How detailed do you need it? (And how uncomprehending are they? would a children's Missal help?)
    For Ordinary time, it shouldn't take much effort to work up an "Entrance-Greeting-Penitential Rite kind of list.

I suspect there are wedding planning templates all over the web, where all you'd have to do is remove the Vows and Nuptial Blessing.

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    You could get yourself some copies of Today's Liturgy, an OCP publication. It comes standard with the Breaking Bread and Today's Missal subscriptions although they can be purchased separately. It includes music suggestions and thematic analyses. At least it will tell you everything you need for each weekend liturgy. It won't help you for weddings and funerals but it will help your "liturgists" plan liturgy. Most of us on this forum can help you with weddings and funerals, although consultation with the pastor is ideal. The fact that he has a hired DM and two liturgists to plan everything for him says to me that he doesn't want to deal with any liturgy planning himself. The fact that he wants you to teach the "liturgists" how to do the job confirms it.
  • Ignoto
    You might try contacting the staff at the Office of Worship at your diocese. They are there to offer liturgical guidance and they often offer templates / planning sheets.
  • Don't recall the name of the document, but I made (eons ago) a digest of the Mass for choirs from a Vatican document.